Modern Camaro Forums banner

SS vs Z28

13K views 75 replies 31 participants last post by  NemeSS 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok I read the frequent asked questions ............. but I don't understand this one ......

What will be car trim levels?

Base Camaro featuring the V6. The SS will likely be the base V8. With the Z28 returning as the top level Z06-style road course king perhaps in the second year.

So your telling me that they are going to push the Z28 as the top car over the SS ???????

Seriously ???? WTF ????

Or am I reading this one wrong ???

#4 ·
Z28 will be to Camaro what Z06 is to SS. There's a lot more history to the Z28 before the 4th gen. Z28 was top dog for a lot of years when there was no Camaro SS.

Really you're asking the wrong question. Its not which CAR will be top dog. Obviously the top performing car will be the top model. The question is what name will go on the top car.

#19 ·
Z28 will be to Camaro what Z06 is to SS. There's a lot more history to the Z28 before the 4th gen. Z28 was top dog for a lot of years when there was no Camaro SS.

Really you're asking the wrong question. Its not which CAR will be top dog. Obviously the top performing car will be the top model. The question is what name will go on the top car.
I agree, Z28 was always topdog

#6 ·
Honestly I think the decision has already been made. At the Heritage Center event the night before the NAIAS unveiling, a lot of us impressed upon the engineers and marketing folks what Z28 needs to be, and I gotta say the signs point to them not only hearing us but agreeing with us.

#8 ·
Honestly I think the decision has already been made. At the Heritage Center event the night before the NAIAS unveiling, a lot of us impressed upon the engineers and marketing folks what Z28 needs to be, and I gotta say the signs point to them not only hearing us but agreeing with us.
I don't think the decision is made.

Honestly, we (the internet Camaro community) are the minority in the overall sales and input of what the Camaro will be.

#11 ·
ss to my knowledge has always been an add on to the z28 cars badging, chrome, maybe wheels

if this is true then the z28 is some thing like a base model v8, making the the ss the top dog in history but who can tell in the years to come wat will happen

#13 · (Edited)
alrite the words in the even my 40 year old parents say the ss is the biggest baddest dog they should know since they both owned cars like that. SUPER SPORT sounds alot more bada** than Z28 same as Cobra over GT and Challenger over Charger i think also in the years when we lost the ss and the choices were rs z28 or iroc we lost the feeling that most showed to the ss and had to turn there attention to the z28

#15 ·
You beat me to it! :lol:

Just a thought. Mention 'Z28', and 'Camaro' immediately comes to mind. 'SS' can mean several Chevrolet's. ;) Also, 'Z28' has more of a history, ie; Trans Am racing, etc.

To me, it really doesn't matter. All I know is I plan on owning the "top tier" Camaro, whatever it's called. ;)

#17 ·
Z28 has been available since 1967 and was part of the lineup more years total than SS was.

SS it too generic......every car in the Chevy lineup has an SS model.....Camaro needs something unique and Z28 deserves better than to be the bland base V8 car it ended up being at the end. That's NEVER what it was before.

#20 ·
Z28 has been available since 1967 and was part of the lineup more years total than SS was.

SS it too generic......every car in the Chevy lineup has an SS model.....Camaro needs something unique and Z28 deserves better than to be the bland base V8 car it ended up being at the end. That's NEVER what it was before.
I think the z28 emblem was not put on the camaro untill 1968.

#18 ·
Come On! Z28 is nothing more then a codename if that! SS STANDS for something and most people know what that it stands for if the z28 was top then whats so super about the SS ... If SS isint topdog then whats the point of having Super in the name if a z28 can smoke it the SS then i guess its not super at all i guess GM can call it sportcamaro or something retarted..this is why the ss has 2 b topdog if not it will tottaly confuse people

#36 ·
ok SS should be the BIG POWER option and Z28 should be the flashy and fasssst option. neither should be 'better' but more of a "which style" camaro is it? Z28 kind of reminds me of IROC-Z. maybe they should do another IROC race and bring that package back too ;) wouldnt it be great to watch a bunch of 5th gen's racing around the track?!?!?!

i want the SS. the ORIGINAL SS's were all big ballzy powerful beasts. now they use the SS icon to sell the "more powerful" of each of the other Chevys. basically the SS cobalt is the "faster" one. well, that does not mean SS is "just another Chevy"... SS means that is the beast of the bunch. plain and simple.

#37 ·
yes SS is an option on many a car for GM, but has anyone noticed SS on any other car is a performance enhancement? YES.... Add SS to any car and it is an upgrade. whether it is suspension, interior, whatever. So unless GM changes it, SS will be some type of upgrade to the Camaro base v8 Z28 platform. that's how it has always been guys.....

#38 ·
At this point who's to say what will happen...

Looking at the Chevy Website Intro leads us to believe that the performance version will be like the rest of the Chevrolet Line an SS.

Now if we look at things from the Corvette side of things all the Highest Performance versions are Z51 Equipped or the Z06.

I'm not sure if anything is being solve here. If I had to guess the Z28 will be the Highest Performance Version available from the factory...here's why...Chevrolet will lean heavily on the tradition of the First Gen Car's as it already has during the unveiling. Therefore the SS will be available at the start of production. The Z28 was pursued only after they decided to go racing in a class that required smaller engine displacement.

With all that said neither the SS or Z28 will be deficient when it comes to power. Once GMMG gets involved there won't be much doubt what Camaro to get.

#39 ·
One thing is for certain we will know sooner than the general public how to order the highest performance version.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.