Modern Camaro Forums banner

Cold weather...

3K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Vintage-Iron 
#1 ·
Well it has its advantages and disadvantages. The disadvantages...its effing cold, lol!! The advantages...warm engines LOVE cold air!! They say you gain about 1% hp for every 10-11 degree F drop in temp from 77 degrees F. So at 30 degrees F, you basically gain about 15-20 hp depending on your individual set-up. And its free!! Nadia has been ripping these past few days here in NJ!! Now just imagine if I had twin turbos...!!

#2 ·
HA! I feel ya. Here in MA its been 30-50 warmest. Maro felt a lot more peppy for sure.

#3 ·
If you had twin turbos that car would probably be put away for the season already haha.

The best thing about spring and fall is the chilly nights for my CSC.

It's addicting

#5 ·
If you had twin turbos that car would probably be put away for the season already haha.

It's addicting
It doesn't snow or anything here but I get high 20's sometimes and 30's a lot in winter and I NEVER put my car "away". ;)

You def have to drive differently with boost when it's cold out. More for the tires than anything. But it is harder to manage that extra 'hit" when it's cold for sure... It's an addiction I can live with!! :gears:

#4 ·
I hate the cold all the way around ... I wouldn't mind being the fastest car at 80 degrees :lol:

#14 ·
I totally HEART my heated seats...but then I AM a bit of a high maintenance girl.
I've been known to drive with the top DOWN AND the heat and seat warmers ON

#16 ·
Chapel,

I had this same theory when driving from L.A. to Arizona around this time every year as far as MPG was concerned..

When I had my 01' Dodge Durango this SUV could in fact make practically one way one one tank of gas cuz this SUV had a 25 gallon tank. I had theorized that early morning cold dense air increases horse power and MPG if one drives the right way but uunfortunately in the desert the speed is an easy 70 MPH draging my MPG down.

Depending on the forum you visit they will tell you that all my theories are wrong and cold weather/dense air has not bearing on HP. Sure is a bummer to hear that BUT I'm still with you on the theory. I still believe as you do that it does have merit.:thumbsup:

Mail Clerk

#18 ·
I don't understand why anyone would think that temp has nothing to do with performance. Every dyno will give higher numbers in the Winter than in the Summer. And it is proven that cooler nights also support lower ETs at the track than hotter nights. Humidity has a role also. But warm engines LOVE cold air. It isn't even debatable.

#19 ·
Also too, I noticed up here the Barometric Pressure has a lot to do with it also, 30.70inches means engines make even more power and combined with the cold, its a lethal combination to make hp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.