Fun in Mars with an SS/RS.........and some thoughts... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 03-03-2009, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
THE FBODFATHER

Fun in Mars with an SS/RS.........and some thoughts...

-- spent the better part of the week in Cleveland getting ready for that show and of course hosting several hundred Camaro Enthusiasts and Cadillac customers on Saturday morning.......

My good friend Bob Peters and his daughter Nickie brought Mom Settlemire to the Saturday morning festivities --

I've been working 7 days a week -- so I decided I was going to take Monday off and head for Mars.

So -- after the Cleveland event was over, Mom and I jumped in the SS/RS and headed back to Mars........

At 65+ mph we were able to carry on a conversation in a normal tone of voice -- which demonstrates that our engineers took their assignments very seriously - --- further, Mom kept talking about two things:

>One -- how great the ride is....

and

>Two -- how many people are constantly gawking and pointing!

The "lil Weasel" was having a PACE (Pittsburgh Area Camaro Enthusiasts) meeting at his dealership -- so I offered to bring the SS/RS over to the dealership on Sunday afternoon......

Cousin Sue's 'significant other' (who the family loves, by the way) brought one of his classic Camaros for display in the showroom -- a Marina Blue 67 SS/RS Big block -- INCREDIBLE Camaro!........

-- so I headed over about 12:30 to give the Camaro a 'bath' and detail -- and then we placed him in the showroom among a group of new Corvettes and Tom's 2002 THR Camaro SS convert that he's kept -- ( I think it goes to his daughter Kate when he passes...)

.........the yellow can be seen from forever -- even when the car is in the showroom --

..........the day was cold - in the 30s -- but cloudless and sunny --

................and I could not believe how many people showed up! -- several hundred to be sure -- the showroom was pretty much full the whole afternoon............

................now - my whole family has worked at the dealership at one time or another -- my father was the General Manager there after he sold his dealership -- and in fact he even installed the plumbing in most of the building -- and of course, there were many great employees over the years......many of which have joined 'Dad' Settlemire and "Gran-pa' Henry" in that Great Chevy Showroom in the sky...........

......and it was also bittersweet as "Uncle" Tom (Tom's father) who started the dealership wayyyyyyyyy back in 1958 -- is in a Progressive Care facility - doesn't know who he is most of the time......I wish he could have been there.....

......so as I stand in the showroom - it's easy to go back in time -and to hear the voices of the past...... to 1963 when the present showroom was built -- and to remember the many Chevrolets that took up the same space as this new Camaro.........and the amazing thing is that I can still see so many of the cars and tell you details/details/details -- all of which are pretty much 'worthless' to most.......but still such colorful memories..........

(......ever see a 1968 Caprice Estate Wagon with a 4-speed manual on the floor? WE HAD ONE on the showroom floor!...)

.........and I'm a sentimental guy --

.................so is the "lil weasel" -- as he has a showcase full of Tom Henry Memorabilia -- hundreds of items............

..........and it suddenly occurred to me:

............that 39 years ago - February 26-28th to be exact.........

..................we were unveiling the "New" 70 1/2 Camaros and Corvettes --in the very same showroom --

.............and I remember the cars -- a Camaro -- a green mist base coupe; (who ordered THAT???) another Camaro RS in Shadow gray with a black vinyl top; and a Cranberry Red SS coupe. Joining them were a Classic White Corvette convert and a Bridgehampton Blue coupe.........

..........and I guess this is a reminder of how fortunate I've been to grow up in a "Chevy" Family -- my father and uncle allowed me to spend countless hours at the dealership -- asking at least 500,000 questions over the years -- allowing me to devour every piece of literature and sales manual that I could lay my hands on ..........(I cannot remember what I had for dinner last evening, but I'll recognize a Palomino Ivory Camaro every time!)

--- and so the people came.....(one good friend from Springfield Mass. -- another new friend and his gal from Maryland-- thank you for coming!) .......and they asked many questions........and there were many smiles -- and there were lots of pictures -- and I once again realized that this must, indeed, be a very special car -- a car that creates such passion.......

..............and to think that a skinny kid with braces and glasses from Mars, Pa would be able to experience so much in this lifetime........

-- I am so blessed and humbled!

And I'm so lucky to have a cousin Tom ( the " 'lil weasel from Bakerstown as I affectionately call him......and cousin Sue - )

Thanks, all...........for listening to another one of my
r a m b l i n g posts......

..............and again, Thanks for "Keeping the Faith"......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 03-03-2009, 01:47 PM

Thanks for sharing, Scott!
post #3 of 30 Old 03-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member

Cool story, Scott. Lots of history there, eh? If only the walls could talk.

You know the question will be asked so I'll say it first......where are the pics?

post #4 of 30 Old 03-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member

Lol, my thoughts exactly... but good story even without the pics!

post #5 of 30 Old 03-03-2009, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Great story wish i was there.... Pictures sure would have helped

2014 2LT/RS with spring edition package. Proud Litho Owner #28.
post #6 of 30 Old 03-03-2009, 02:48 PM
Camaro Focus Group Member

great story as always

"All alone in my funeral home, playing in blood, there's just got to be something wrong with me" -Slayer-
post #7 of 30 Old 03-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member

lol You are one lucky man
post #8 of 30 Old 03-03-2009, 04:21 PM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

Here are some pictures:

Sweet!

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
post #9 of 30 Old 03-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Banned

Ooooohhh! That double stripe, ala Grand Sport, looks bad ass on the Camaro.
post #10 of 30 Old 03-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Supporting Super Moderator

WOW That is excellent

2010 Camaro RS SS LS3 (Bumble Bee) Vin#192 & 8 others made by GM and one Christine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page