Tapshift - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 03-04-2009, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Tapshift

How does Tapshift actually works and what are the differences of others manuals (i think is in the manual, i dont really know what it is) Can somebody explain me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-04-2009, 08:28 PM

Tapshift is for the automatic transmission. when the transmission is in Manual mode, one of the buttons ( i assume the right hand button) will manually upshift the transmission while the other button with manually downshift the car. basically you have the option of manually shifting your camaro. you could be lazy and just stick it in drive, or put it in manual and do your own shifting
post #3 of 15 Old 03-04-2009, 09:47 PM

It comes in two modes: Automatic, or Tapshift.

Like any automatic you can put it in reverse, drive and neutral etc. You can also put it in Tapshift mode (whatever GM calls it) and you control the gears like you would in a manual transmission(kinda). You can shift up and you can shift down. Tap the right lever and it goes to the next gear, tap the left one and it goes to the previous one.

My understanding of the Camaro tapshift is that you have complete control of UP-shifting, meaning you can go from 1st to 2nd ONLY when you tap Up-shift. When Down-shifting, you can control it to an extent... after it goes down to a certain RPM it will automatically down shift to the previous gear for you. That doesn't mean that you CAN'T down shift yourself, it just means that once it reaches whatever RPM threshold it has, it will down-shift it for you.

It might seem complicated but it really isn't.

Tap right = Up-shift
Tap left = Down-shift
Complete control of up-shift
Limited control of down-shift
Or just leave it in D to drive it like a normal automatic.

post #4 of 15 Old 03-04-2009, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelous View Post
It comes in two modes: Automatic, or Tapshift.

Like any automatic you can put it in reverse, drive and neutral etc. You can also put it in Tapshift mode (whatever GM calls it) and you control the gears like you would in a manual transmission(kinda). You can shift up and you can shift down. Tap the right lever and it goes to the next gear, tap the left one and it goes to the previous one.

My understanding of the Camaro tapshift is that you have complete control of UP-shifting, meaning you can go from 1st to 2nd ONLY when you tap Up-shift. When Down-shifting, you can control it to an extent... after it goes down to a certain RPM it will automatically down shift to the previous gear for you. That doesn't mean that you CAN'T down shift yourself, it just means that once it reaches whatever RPM threshold it has, it will down-shift it for you.

It might seem complicated but it really isn't.

Tap right = Up-shift
Tap left = Down-shift
Complete control of up-shift
Limited control of down-shift
Or just leave it in D to drive it like a normal automatic.
dont worry i do get it. So basically tapshift is just a more advance automatic transmission, right
post #5 of 15 Old 03-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APCamaro View Post
dont worry i do get it. So basically tapshift is just a more advance automatic transmission, right
I have a similar thing in my Smart car, the shifters are called "Paddle Shifters" since they look like tiny paddles on the backside of the steering wheel. If the Camaro's works in a similar fashion, then when you decelerate, the transmission will downshift for you, ending up in Neutral if / when you come to a full stop...of course, there is no clutch pedal to mess with, but that does not mean your left foot won't "search for it" if you have driven a manual stick in the past!

In the Smart car, you only know what gear you are in when you are in manual mode, otherwise the dash console just says "D" (drive). When in manual mode, you see the gear AND there is an "up arrow" or a "down arrow" when the transmission feels you should shift (you can ignore it when, say, you want to rev the engine higher). In manual mode, you can use the Paddle Shifters, OR, the stick shift can also be used...the stick method comes in handy when you are turning the wheel sharply and you don't (or can't) "chase" the paddles...

I do not know if the Camaro's automatic will let you shift using the stick when in manual mode...if it does, I would assume there is a + / - indicator next to it...time to scour all the 2010 Camaro interior photos that have an automatic!
post #6 of 15 Old 03-04-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DET MSCL View Post
I do not know if the Camaro's automatic will let you shift using the stick when in manual mode...if it does, I would assume there is a + / - indicator next to it...time to scour all the 2010 Camaro interior photos that have an automatic!
i believe its just: P R N D M; all in a straight line
post #7 of 15 Old 03-04-2009, 10:44 PM

post #8 of 15 Old 03-04-2009, 11:25 PM
5thGen Supporter ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeters113 View Post
Yeah, the + / - that some cars have next to the "M" on the shifter are now the "Paddle Shifters"

The new EVO's have Paddle Shifters, the new Genesis Coupe's have Paddle Shifters, Smart Cars have Paddle Shifters and then the nicer cars like Lamborghini's have Paddle Shifters.

Instead of needing your hand on the shift knob, you can now have both hands on the wheel at all times and use the paddle shifters.

You can see them behind the steering wheel on this Ferrari (Left hand down shifts, Right Hand up shifts).

This way, if you take your Camaro to the track, you put it in "M" and you can get it to Redline or what not without the tranny automatically shifting.

Instead of it being like this image above, it is now on the steering wheel.

Hope this helps

I personally though really only like Manual.

Pontiac GTO IBM
Performance: SLP Catback | SW's LT Headers | New Era Intake | Billet Pro Series Shifter
Exterior: 06 Hood | 06 Brake Upgrade | 6000K HIDs | Full LED Conversion | 15% Tint | Overlays
Interior: A Few Things

post #9 of 15 Old 05-12-2012, 02:25 PM

Garage
guy at parts counter at clay chevy in norwood mass told me of a guy that makes shifter knobs with up and down shift buttons on the shifter cuz the location of the paddle shifter buttons suk for driving and shifting while cornering has anybody got info on this mod
post #10 of 15 Old 05-12-2012, 06:17 PM

MAC877...If you find out any more info on these knobs could you please inform me? I agree..Cornering while in Paddle Shift mode is a challenge.. Awkward and uncomfortable!

Thanks

Rich

Rockland, Ma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page