market and buying - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-06-2009, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

market and buying

I've been searching all the websites for sometime and have been concidering purchasing an SS model when they come out. I have stopped short of a pre order due to my concern over the economy. Just curious what peoples general thoughts are?

As of 2:30 pm GM has gone down 20% just today and is trading for 1.44 a share. It hasnt traded that low since 1933. Do you think bankruptcy is inevitable? and either way do you think it will effect production time or price of the new Camaro's?

thanks

Last edited by Profiler; 03-06-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member

If you're really concerned, then I would suggest waiting. If I had money, I would be ordering one, though, because I know all this stuff is going to clear up eventually. Even if GM goes down, you will still be covered with your warranty and everything. It won't happen really, soon, but I'd THINK near the end of the year, they should be getting back up on their feet, but the best thing to do is do what you think is right.

Welcome!

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
post #3 of 10 Old 03-06-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
If you're really concerned, then I would suggest waiting. If I had money, I would be ordering one, though, because I know all this stuff is going to clear up eventually. Even if GM goes down, you will still be covered with your warranty and everything. It won't happen really, soon, but I'd THINK near the end of the year, they should be getting back up on their feet, but the best thing to do is do what you think is right.

Welcome!
Hi Taglane,

I have a question, how will warranty still cover IF GM goes down? I want to order a 1SS but this is the only thing stopping me.

Is the government somehow involved or with the upkeep of warranties or.... Something else...

Thanks!

post #4 of 10 Old 03-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member

I heard that your warranty will be covered, but there is no guarantee that you will get the help you need.

What does it all mean? I don't know...

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
post #5 of 10 Old 03-06-2009, 02:27 PM
www.camaroscotty.com

Garage
I SAY PLOP THAT REFUNDABLE $500 DOWN AND GET AN ORDER IN - AND LOCK INTO TODAY'S PRICES!

http://www.camaroscotty.com
YAHOO IM:
CamaroScotty / FACEBOOK: Camaro Scotty
post #6 of 10 Old 03-06-2009, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

that was another concern. If i do put a deposit down and the people who prepaid, pay the price that is asked when they pick it up only to find out GM goes bankrupt or reconfigures itself and the car ends up going for 5-8k less than what the first 10,000 people got it for. All what ifs I know , just things going on in my head
post #7 of 10 Old 03-06-2009, 04:49 PM

You are right. If GM can't run itself any better than the goverment we're screwed at both ends.
My son works for a dealership and his worry about warranty is how to keep the parts supplier in business if GM files.
Plus, what confides does that give to any prospective buyer. 35,000 for a car that you can't get parts for ? Doesn't matter how great it is or how long we've waited, GM has got to start making wise moves now.

Ordered Cyber gray/gray 1SS with automatic and black stripes.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-06-2009, 10:26 PM
ljs

2 cents

A few thoughts - yes the economy is bad and will get worse in many ways at least until the end of 2009, probably 1st quarter 2010.
The government (Pres Obama administration) has pretty much committed that its number one priority is to stop unemployment as best it can. If GM goes belly up the gov't knows the ripple effects as we've all heard (suppliers, other car makers) would be devastating to the economy not just in the US but remember it employs thousands oversees as well.
It would cost far more for the government to create jobs programs for those who would be put out of work because of GMs demise. Plus it GMs a large military contractor.
It just cannot take that chance.
The government will call the shots and keep tight reigns on it like it will do with the banks, but my guess is there will be a GM for a long time to come, but it will be different.

"As ye sow, so shall ye reap"
2010 2LT/RS Red Jewel Tintcoat
post #9 of 10 Old 03-06-2009, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Scotty View Post
I SAY PLOP THAT REFUNDABLE $500 DOWN AND GET AN ORDER IN - AND LOCK INTO TODAY'S PRICES!
Dang nabit! I had to put down a $1,000 deposit for my Victory Red SS (California mark-up? ). If I pre-ordered from you Scott, I could have put two (2) on order, one SS and another SS/RS to get everyone off my back...
post #10 of 10 Old 03-07-2009, 08:33 AM

It would be a miracle if they did not go BK and frankly we should have let them do it the first time. However, I do think they will reorganize and for that reason I think they ought to do it sooner than later.

I believe that this could take place and the end user (you and me) probably wouldn't notice all that much in terms of the actual sales service experience we will get, but you may have to drive a little further. I would assume the dealer network would be notably smaller, that is happening as we speak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page