2SS as a Daily Driver? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 03-07-2009, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

2SS as a Daily Driver?

OK, everyone has been real helpful before when I have needed opinions, so I'm hoping you can come through for me again.

I have been starting to waiver on my 2LT thinking I should get a 2SS. Here is my situation and I am looking for any and all feedback.

- Not too worried about the price, I can afford it.
- I drive A LOT, the Camaro will be my daily driver from mid-March til Snow. I drive 500 to 700 miles a week, so we are talking 20,000 miles a year easy.
- I am not a performance car nut, I will not be doing any modifications to it to increase performance. I am more about the car's appearance.
- I guess the reason I an considering a 2SS is just for bragging rights when talking to Mustang or Challenger people. When people ask about the engine, I don't have to explain why it's only a V6, and so on (Most people who are 'Car Guys' are disappointed in me for not getting a V8).

So, what do you think? I would be real interested if there is anyone who has ordered an SS, who, in my position, would get the LT.

Thanks all for your response!

-Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-07-2009, 11:08 PM

the main issues you will see are loss in gas mileage and the disability(i believe) to get an automatic(maybe not though)...if you have the clutch the tremec trannys always have seemed to be a bit heavier...but nothing you shouldnt get used to...really if you have the money go for it.
post #3 of 22 Old 03-07-2009, 11:54 PM

If for no other reason than if you ever decide to get rid of it your resale value will be higher on the 2SS

Former F bodies
1979 Girlinetta Auto
1995 Blue A4 Z28
1996 Triple black M6 Z28 Conv
2000 Black M6 T/A

post #4 of 22 Old 03-08-2009, 12:11 AM

Bragging rights? It's the new Camaro, isn't that good enough? That's going to be the WOW factor regardless of what mill is under the hood.
post #5 of 22 Old 03-08-2009, 01:09 AM

depends on you, if you can afford and dont mind gas prices go for the 2ss if you do, go for v6
it is really important for you smoke mustangs and challengers?(for me yes )
make yourself these questions and then think about it
post #6 of 22 Old 03-08-2009, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member

I'd rather regret getting the best rather than wishing I went bigger.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #7 of 22 Old 03-08-2009, 07:24 AM

If you can afford it, its a no brainer.

I'd go for the 2SS. You never know when you might need that 400hp.

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, L99 A6
Bolt ons (12.10 @ 113.60 mph, 1.77 sec 60')
post #8 of 22 Old 03-08-2009, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike25 View Post
the main issues you will see are loss in gas mileage and the disability(i believe) to get an automatic(maybe not though)...if you have the clutch the tremec trannys always have seemed to be a bit heavier...but nothing you shouldnt get used to...really if you have the money go for it.
Mike, you can get an automatic with the L99 on a 2SS.

Brad, if money is not an issue then the value of your dollar goes a long way with the 2SS. The extra power on tap will make for some spirited driving when the situation arises. I plan to use mine as a DD also (16K+ miles per year), so you're not alone. Don't get me wrong though....the 3.6DI is a stout motor, but the extra torque from the V8 will pin you 'deeper' into your seat.

Bottom line is you can't go wrong with either one and since appearance is an important factor, the 5th gen Camaro certainly delivers in that area!

post #9 of 22 Old 03-08-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonz5GEN View Post
Mike, you can get an automatic with the L99 on a 2SS.

Brad, if money is not an issue then the value of your dollar goes a long way with the 2SS. The extra power on tap will make for some spirited driving when the situation arises. I plan to use mine as a DD also (16K+ miles per year), so you're not alone. Don't get me wrong though....the 3.6DI is a stout motor, but the extra torque from the V8 will pin you 'deeper' into your seat.

Bottom line is you can't go wrong with either one and since appearance is an important factor, the 5th gen Camaro certainly delivers in that area!
thanks for clarifying. i wasnt sure and didnt want to spread nonsense.
post #10 of 22 Old 03-08-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
I'd rather regret getting the best rather than wishing I went bigger.

Agreed. Just make sure you can cover all of your expenses. Occasionally replacing 20" tires with 220 treadware ratings included.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page