Oh No .. I am now thinking twice about the SS - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 03-16-2009, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
5thGen Supporter ^_^

Oh No .. I am now thinking twice about the SS

So, since I have decided that my next vehicle will be a Camaro, I also told myself that no matter what, if something happens that the new Camaro isn't my next car ... a V8 for sure would definitely be under the hood of whatever it is.

Now, because of Chevy's Camaro site, I am thinking twice.

My fathers cousin has a ~1970 Camaro with about 30,000 miles on it, he drove it off the lot back in the early 70's brand new and has had it since. My whole life I have loved Camaro's, mainly the 67-69 Camaro and figured this would be the car I will use as a weekend enjoyment ride and keep it for all the years down the road when I am old and my future kids can enjoy it as well. (Such a wonderful story )

But now I got to thinking about the V6, possibly even the "LS". Considering there are supercharges out for my pathetic 2.7L Hyundai that are pushing out 500whp, I can only suspect the V6 will have a lot of aftermarket support, and I do love the sound of a nice supercharger.

I am trying to think logical, I plan on getting the car in 2 years, possibly slightly sooner, possibly slightly later. In about 1.5 years I will have an Associates Degree in CIS (Networking) and moving on to my Bachelors so I am doubting I will want to spend $34,000+ on a new car (Unless I can find a used one with the bells and whistles that I want).

Now I know there are a lot of older guys, middle aged guys and fellows in their mid-late 20's so I am wondering if you were in this situation, what would you do?

A bit about what I like about the Camaro:
Overall, the design. I don't need Bluetooth, Ambient Lighting or any of that stuff. Although the RS Package does intrigue me, I think I would be just as happy without it. I would definitely like to get the ground effects package, but possibly down the road after owning the car. I like the front SS bumper, but I could always change that out as well (A lot of people do that with my car; the 03-04 blah bumpers they swap for the more stylish 05-06 bumpers). Then with the engine, I would be happy with 400whp, finish probably around 500whp. I was thinking Blower if I went V6, and if I went V8, just the bolt ons, cams...etc

I am more about aftermarket than anything else...wheels, performance..you name it, I would go aftermarket.

So Pricing... I did a few mock ups on Chevy's site and this is what I came up with.. (Image along with the Trim is probably what I would look to get; I am torn between Orange and Black)

LS Package: $23,505 MSRP

1LT Package: $26,890 MSRP

1SS Package: $34,970 MSRP

Now I am done ranting, but I have made a few mistakes in my life, blew money when after the fact I knew I shouldn't so I am trying to find out what the older guys would do if they were in the situation. By the time I buy, I will be about 22 years old (20 at the moment) so I am just wondering if you would go cheaper and enjoy the extra money modding rather intensely, or buy the more expensive and drive it around stock with small mods.

Regards,
Kyle

Pontiac GTO IBM
Performance: SLP Catback | SW's LT Headers | New Era Intake | Billet Pro Series Shifter
Exterior: 06 Hood | 06 Brake Upgrade | 6000K HIDs | Full LED Conversion | 15% Tint | Overlays
Interior: A Few Things

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-16-2009, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member

All or nothing - SS.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #3 of 23 Old 03-16-2009, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
5thGen Supporter ^_^

Yeah, that may be my downfall. I don't know if I would let myself live with an "American Muscle Car" with a V6 engine. >_<

Pontiac GTO IBM
Performance: SLP Catback | SW's LT Headers | New Era Intake | Billet Pro Series Shifter
Exterior: 06 Hood | 06 Brake Upgrade | 6000K HIDs | Full LED Conversion | 15% Tint | Overlays

post #4 of 23 Old 03-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Supporter of common sense

V6 for me. No sense in dropping >$30K when I have a '67 L78 car

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #5 of 23 Old 03-16-2009, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
5thGen Supporter ^_^

Yeah I am wondering what you'd do in my situation? Love for the Camaro's, but still at the age where I am not sure if I should drop $30+k or stick with the V6 and mod the piss out of it

I suppose once I get to that point, I will have a better idea regarding if I have a job set towards a solid career path, how much I am making...etc but advice would always be a good thing.

Pontiac GTO IBM

post #6 of 23 Old 03-16-2009, 09:21 PM

The best bang for the buck out there is the V6. At 304 HP, that's more than some of the old Vettes and V-8 Z28 F-cars! Its the same motor as in the CTS- darn nice engine, lots of mods available. You can get your V6 to look just as good as an SS plus at your age, lower insurance. Mileage may not seem important but as a daily driver, it will.
post #7 of 23 Old 03-16-2009, 09:24 PM

The V-6 is pretty impressive but I have to go with the SS. Just want the sound and extra power. I had a couple of 300HP cars, I am ready to see what 400+ is all about.

Former F bodies
1979 Girlinetta Auto
1995 Blue A4 Z28
1996 Triple black M6 Z28 Conv
2000 Black M6 T/A
post #8 of 23 Old 03-16-2009, 09:26 PM

You may think this is strange advice but my advice is to not stress over the decision because youve got two years to choose! I'm just saying...

post #9 of 23 Old 03-16-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto_in_nc View Post
You may think this is strange advice but my advice is to not stress over the decision because youve got two years to choose! I'm just saying...

I got just about a year. Or were you referring to someone else?

Former F bodies
1979 Girlinetta Auto
1995 Blue A4 Z28
1996 Triple black M6 Z28 Conv
2000 Black M6 T/A
post #10 of 23 Old 03-16-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan454 View Post
I got just about a year. Or were you referring to someone else?
No, I was responding to the OP above. Seems like it would probably apply to you too, though, unless there's some reason why you would need to commit a year in advance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page