Who at GM will give information? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 03-25-2009, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Who at GM will give information?

I ordered at 11.00am on 10/13/08. I ordered a 1SS. I have been on the phone with Chevrolet about six times already and no one will give me any information about when or if they are going to start building my car. I am so sick of their answers that I am seriously considering cancelling and getting an SRT8 Challenger. I now know why they are going bankrupt. All I want is a build date confirmation and they say that my car is in the system but that they cannot tell me that. I am standing here money in hand and they refuse to give me any info. They were not very shy about going to Washington for our tax dollars. What gives? This will be my fourth Camaro. I have been a loyal Chevy customer. This is my reward?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 03-25-2009, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddan View Post
I ordered at 11.00am on 10/13/08. I ordered a 1SS. I have been on the phone with Chevrolet about six times already and no one will give me any information about when or if they are going to start building my car. I am so sick of their answers that I am seriously considering cancelling and getting an SRT8 Challenger. I now know why they are going bankrupt. All I want is a build date confirmation and they say that my car is in the system but that they cannot tell me that. I am standing here money in hand and they refuse to give me any info. They were not very shy about going to Washington for our tax dollars. What gives? This will be my fourth Camaro. I have been a loyal Chevy customer. This is my reward?

did you call your dealer???

the waiting is pissin' me off too, but I'm not gonna rush off and do anything crazy like buy a Challenger.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #3 of 30 Old 03-25-2009, 12:11 PM
www.camaroscotty.com

Garage
They've said all along that cars can be built any time through Q3 2009 (September) - and your dealer plays a BIG role in when it gets submitted. Your dealer is in a better position to give an estimate than 1-800 Customer assistance.

Oh, and if you DO go get a Challenger - don't take a corner too fast....(and watch the resale - Dodge gets beat up good since there's no second owner warranty)

http://www.camaroscotty.com
YAHOO IM:
CamaroScotty / FACEBOOK: Camaro Scotty

Last edited by Camaro Scotty; 03-25-2009 at 12:13 PM.

post #4 of 30 Old 03-25-2009, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

I have called my dealer and talked to him a bunch of times in the last week and he cannot get any info either. He told me that he was allocated 5 cars and told to prioritze them and that he prioritized me number 1 because I was the first one to order from him. It's not the wait that is pissing me off, it is the lack of any kind of answer. If they said that my car would be built on a certain target date, that would be OK. What they are doing is "I don't know nuthin". I am here money in hand looking for an answer. I don't want the car at the beginning of our winter. That is why I ordered sight unseen in good faith on the 13th of October.

Last edited by hddan; 03-25-2009 at 12:16 PM.
post #5 of 30 Old 03-25-2009, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Scotty View Post
They've said all along that cars can be built any time through Q3 2009 (September) - and your dealer plays a BIG role in when it gets submitted. Your dealer is in a better position to give an estimate than 1-800 Customer assistance.
What if there is a constraint (CGM paint)? Can the order get submitted before the constraint is lifted and what influence does the dealer have on that happening?
post #6 of 30 Old 03-25-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddan View Post
I have called my dealer and talked to him a bunch of times in the last week and he cannot get any info either. He told me that he was allocated 5 cars and told to prioritze them and that he prioritized me number 1 because I was the first one to order from him. It's not the wait that is pissing me off, it is the lack of any kind of answer. If they said that my car would be built on a certain target date, that would be OK. What they are doing is "I don't know nuthin". I am here money in hand looking for an answer. I don't want the car at the beginning of our winter. That is why I ordered sight unseen in good faith on the 13th of October.
did your dealer give you your 6 alpha-numeric code (nyhten <---example) if he did then he can look up that number and be able to tell you where you stand at code wise. like code 1100,3000,3800 etc...the dealer has all that info, if you never got that code then it is possible they didn't order your car

1100: 2/23/09
2000: 8/7/09 (finally)
3000: 8/11/09 (TPW 9/14)
3300: 9/2/09
3400: 9/14/09
3800: 9/22/09 vin 48156 has been born
post #7 of 30 Old 03-25-2009, 02:43 PM

Waiting

I ordered a 2SS/RS in January and my dealer just can't tell me anything. I've received a nice letter and picture from GM thanking me for my order, so I know at least they have the order. They should be able to at least tell you something. My dealer is saying July 09.

2SS/RS A6 Blk stripes.
post #8 of 30 Old 03-25-2009, 04:14 PM

I think GM has mis-handled this. They handled it like any other order/pre-order, but with the quantity of orders, they should have set up something special. My interpretation of this is the following-

HOW THEY ARE HANDLING IT
1. They are letting the dealer determine the order in which that particular dealer's order are entered.
2. They are giving dealers their allocations only as they get a slot for a build.
3. They have no understandable logical pattern for how they give out dealer allocations and they don't tell dealers when they are going to get an allocation.

HOW THEY SHOULD HAVE HANDLED IT
1. Accept in a larger batch of pre-orders rather than just at 2 week intervals (or even take them all in). Arrange those orders in what ever way they want (preferrably by date ordered) to build them and then inform the dealer of their spot in line.
2. Maintain that list so it is easy for someone to see where they are in line and dealers can give their customers an accurate feel for it. I know they wouldn't want to give dates, but even things like "as of today, there are 520 people ahead of you" would be good enough. We could see progress.

WHAT THEY SHOULD DO NOW
1. Get the dealers an estimate of when they will receive allocations rather than this "By September 2009" line. Then the dealer will at least be able to say to hddan or anyone else "We expect our first allocation to come the first week of April, and that is yours".

I FEEL it is the DEALERS who should be COMPLAINING to GM on our behalf. Maybe there is nothing they can do, but your DEALER CANNOT DO ANYTHING if they have not received an allocation. There must be someone at GM they can call and say "Hey, when are we gonna get an allocation?"

I am completely content to wait. I like to be the first with new things, but I am ok with seeing other Camaros on the street before I have mine. A month or 2 isn't going to kill me.

-Brad
post #9 of 30 Old 03-25-2009, 04:24 PM
Camaro Focus Group Member

what is your status code? i find it helps to just track your status code and at least you can see when it updates. if you don't have your status code, get it from your dealer.

GM has to build 14,000 pre-sold camaros and everyone wants their car NOW! just relax a little bit. until your car reaches 3300/3400 status, they really can't tell you when it will be produced. i'm not sure how they pull orders for production, but i'm sure they have their hands full juggling orders into the queue... like i know they spray paint colors in batches so then they have to decide which orders to pull in the color batch... etc.

there are a lot of people who ordered on 10/13 that don't have a production date on their cars yet. there are a TON of factors that determine when your order gets pulled and i don't even know all of them...

so just take some deep breaths and stock up on some beer cuz we'll all celebrate with you when your order gets a TPW!

"All alone in my funeral home, playing in blood, there's just got to be something wrong with me" -Slayer-
post #10 of 30 Old 03-25-2009, 07:06 PM

If you want to see how things are developing, go to the below site and get the spreadsheet of info on the VIN progression. Once on your computer, sort the columns and look at what it tells you. Such as, sort A-Z on the Dealer column and see which dealers are getting more than others. Sort by state and see the same thing, etc. Absolutely sort the trim level column and you will see that a GREAT majority of the Camaros made, thus far, are 2SS.

All of this, of course, is depending upon the accuracy of the data presented.

You will need Microsoft Excel 97-2003 (or newer) to open, or have a spreadsheet program that can convert it to the other.

http://home.earthlink.net/~heinzd01/...amaro_VINS.xls

Last edited by JCDawsonJr; 03-25-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page