Here's hoping history reverses...... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-02-2009, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Here's hoping history reverses......

Here's hoping the Camaro will not be part 3 of G.M.'s recent history of failed performance cars. The SSR and Pontiac GTO spent more time in planning than in existence.
They also did not come along under these economic times and yet failed to find much success. We have to conceded the previous Camaro phased out because of lack of sales, meaning lack of interest. Any car that the engine must be removed from the bottom of the car doesn't excite a hot rodder.
What if gas prices were still near 4.00 for regular ? Would it hurt the Camaro's image ? Gas will go back up and big brother doesn't like us anyway because we'd rather hug a performance Camaro than a tree.
With Chrysler in the tank, Pontiac under the knife, and the unions still not really feeling their pain, the manufacturers are facing a tough road.
I'm still calling it the mystical Camaro since I ordered October 13 and yet to see one in anyone's yard around my area. Advertising is: here it is, look quick or you'll miss it. I'm still going with mystical till I see them on the roads.

Ordered Cyber gray/gray 1SS with automatic and black stripes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-02-2009, 08:15 AM

Talk about seeing the glass as 1/2 empty......

The Pontiac was a butt ugly car compared to the new Camaro.

This car is exactly what a Camaro should be. I'm sorry, I've owned a 4th gen for over ten years, but there are a ton of people that thought the design was too "rocket shaped".

Of course gas prices may go up. Is there anything we can do about that?
I'm going to buy one. I could sign papers today if I wanted to pay $3K over sticker, but I don't. Chicks dig the car, they'll be buying tons.
If Chevy doesn't slow down pushing the car, the way it did after the first two years of the 4th gen ( all you would see were billboards and "Let me Stand Next to Your Fire" ads), they will have a smash for years.
Even if they don't, why waste your time at possibly the best moment of being a Camaro fan to worry about it?

You gotta see Jack.

Last edited by Fourth Camaro; 05-02-2009 at 08:21 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member

I dont think its even close the Goat as much as I loved it was doomed from the GTO fans from the start this car was very very well recieved by um well Us,and everyone else the SSR was way too heavy to be a serious performer being built on the trailblazer chassis w/ not enought umph, and mind you totally impratical, the Camaro gets great mpg is a timeless classic as far as looks go, like I said prev I loved my Goat and I liked the look but timeless is certainly wasnt, as for the economy well thats a crap shoot, I too fear the current admin could be a problem for this car but the MPG is good so I think it has a chance to survive a Gas crunch, The only thing I think will hurt the car is the economy. Also too the two cars you mentioned were never full blown production vehicles like the Camaro is, they were produced in small numbers, the camaro has the 6 cyl which compares very well to all of the other cars in its class,that should help to make the car viable to GMs business plan,, we have to keep the faith,, I hope the Camaro is around forever well see

post #4 of 9 Old 05-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member

While one may bash the flop that was the SSR, it is of note that when the concept was revealed, *everyone* seemed to be enamored with it - which is why it went into production. As was proven, it was easy for people to say they'll buy, but the truth was in their pocketbooks, or lack thereof.

Secondly, the GTO was not in development longer than it was available. It was rushed to be marketed in the US. The GTO did exactly what it was supposed to do - stick around for 3 years.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #5 of 9 Old 05-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member

Very good points made. Plus the fact that they made, what, around 25K SSRs from 2003-2006, and sales are over 17K already...I'd say the Camaro is a surefire hit. Granted it is for EVERYONE to enjoy, but sales are sales.

In another gas price skyrocket, Camaro could go on hiatus again if the V6 doesn't sell well, unless a gas miser edition with a different engine comes out. SURELY GM could never go hybrid with it...please say it won't be so, GM.

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-02-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larietrope View Post
I'm still calling it the mystical Camaro since I ordered October 13 and yet to see one in anyone's yard around my area. Advertising is: here it is, look quick or you'll miss it. I'm still going with mystical till I see them on the roads.
They just started shipping them..Wow holy pessimism.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

They've been shipping Challengers for quite a while now and I STILL don't see that many of them. Look out soon, Camaros will be everywhere...hopefully.

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
While one may bash the flop that was the SSR, it is of note that when the concept was revealed, *everyone* seemed to be enamored with it - which is why it went into production. As was proven, it was easy for people to say they'll buy, but the truth was in their pocketbooks, or lack thereof.

Secondly, the GTO was not in development longer than it was available. It was rushed to be marketed in the US. The GTO did exactly what it was supposed to do - stick around for 3 years.
good point (SSR) I do however think if it were A bit lighter and had a lower ride height it would have done better, even after that it was a niche vehicle not a mass produced car like the Camaro,, I did love my GTO so much, the review in Hemmings This month said the Camaro should remind you of a 2005 Goat, thats what I had and what I have missed ever since,, so needeless to say im a littel excited to get my car when ever that happens

Last edited by mucker15; 05-02-2009 at 10:59 AM.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Supporter of common sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by larietrope View Post
Here's hoping the Camaro will not be part 3 of G.M.'s recent history of failed performance cars. The SSR and Pontiac GTO spent more time in planning than in existence.
They also did not come along under these economic times and yet failed to find much success. We have to conceded the previous Camaro phased out because of lack of sales, meaning lack of interest. Any car that the engine must be removed from the bottom of the car doesn't excite a hot rodder.
What if gas prices were still near 4.00 for regular ? Would it hurt the Camaro's image ? Gas will go back up and big brother doesn't like us anyway because we'd rather hug a performance Camaro than a tree.
With Chrysler in the tank, Pontiac under the knife, and the unions still not really feeling their pain, the manufacturers are facing a tough road.
#1 The GTO was never intened to be a long term product offering from GM.

#2 The SSR is an entirely different animal, it was slow and overpriced and never recovered among other issues.

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page