Potential Huge Problem.... Nose Cracks - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 Old 05-03-2009, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
ModernCamaro.com Sponsor

Exclamation Potential Huge Problem.... Nose Cracks

While I was doing the photo shoot on a 2010 Camaro SS this past Friday, we noticed some cracks forming at the upper corners of the grille. The tech that was assisting us during the shoot said that those happened during a top speed run earlier that week. The car achieved 155 mph, and apparently it lifted the upper part of the nose enough to form the cracks. I'm not sure if this problem has been addressed, or even mentioned before. Surely it can be something that GM can fix by adding more bracing perhaps, or a thicker nose molding. This 2010 SS was a production car, only a week old, so this concerns me.

It might not be a good idea to do any high-speed runs in your new Camaro, at least until we understand the problem and how to fix it first.

UPDATE!!!!!

I've been away from the computer most of the day. During that time, I've been informed that the nose on this particular Camaro was a super early production piece, slapped on to get it out the door sooner. GM already knows about the issue, and supposedly it has been taken care of on other cars. Something about a support not being bolted correctly, it wasn't clear what the solution was without seeing the car in front of me.

Anyways, it appears they have a solution. I'm going to re-edit the first post to include this update.

UPDATE!!!

Forged Wheel Dealer, contact me for a quote! www.DV8Motoring.com

Co-Founder, LS1Tech.com & PlanetLSX.com - 2010 Camaro SS - CGM - 2SS/RS - M6

Last edited by Nine Ball; 05-03-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 05-03-2009, 08:26 AM

Uh-oh.
post #3 of 59 Old 05-03-2009, 08:43 AM

Thats interesting............there seems to be some decent frontal airflow that can move throught that front end to feed the rad so its surprising that its backing up and lifting the front end.

Something to keep an eye on for sure.

Howard

post #4 of 59 Old 05-03-2009, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member

I wonder how many CTF & preprod vehicles were seeing those speeds to see if this is a problem across the board?

Wow. Brake weights and cracked bumper covers. I am sure they will pull through to get this stuff fixed, but I'm now glad I waited.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #5 of 59 Old 05-03-2009, 09:20 AM

I bet it was someone thinking the front opened and tried opening the hood that way...

1994 Z28 Autobot

I would like to thank the person that came up with these fine avatar and signature's.
post #6 of 59 Old 05-03-2009, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
ModernCamaro.com Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28 Autobot View Post
I bet it was someone thinking the front opened and tried opening the hood that way...
Please tell me you are kidding. You can see the hood, it isn't hidden by any means. This shop builds 1,200 rwhp Vipers for a living, opening a hood isn't some highly technical event. I even got it right the first time I tried.

Forged Wheel Dealer, contact me for a quote! www.DV8Motoring.com

Co-Founder, LS1Tech.com & PlanetLSX.com - 2010 Camaro SS - CGM - 2SS/RS - M6
post #7 of 59 Old 05-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member

Camaro Got Owned.
post #8 of 59 Old 05-03-2009, 09:32 AM
ModernCamaro.com Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
While I was doing the photo shoot on a 2010 Camaro SS this past Friday, we noticed some cracks forming at the upper corners of the grille. The tech that was assisting us during the shoot said that those happened during a top speed run earlier that week. The car achieved 155 mph, and apparently it lifted the upper part of the nose enough to form the cracks. I'm not sure if this problem has been addressed, or even mentioned before. Surely it can be something that GM can fix by adding more bracing perhaps, or a thicker nose molding. This 2010 SS was a production car, only a week old, so this concerns me.

It might not be a good idea to do any high-speed runs in your new Camaro, at least until we understand the problem and how to fix it first.

Are any of you guys actually going to try to hit 155 mph? I wouldn't worry about it!!
post #9 of 59 Old 05-03-2009, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diller View Post
Are any of you guys actually going to try to hit 155 mph? I wouldn't worry about it!!
The car can do 155. It shouldn't be a problem.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #10 of 59 Old 05-03-2009, 09:51 AM

Tony I realy don't think that most cars are built to run 155 Miles per hour. While I am sure there are a few people that think that their cars should live through anything it would be hard to duplicate every scenerio that people will subject their cars.

The retro design cars Mustang, Challanger and now the Camaro are not aero like your Z06 or your Viper. There is a trade off when it comes to the retro design.

I am sure that the aftermarket will step up with a fix for those few people that wish to run their cars that fast.

My Nova has a open grill as per the rules of the class. At 180 miles per hour it was trying to rip the front of the hood off. It lifted the leading edge to almost block the hood scoop. We installed some additional support and dzus fasteners and now all is good.

Robin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page