Available: 2010 1SS Black... Maybe - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 05-04-2009, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Available: 2010 1SS Black... Maybe

Okay...

I am getting screwed by the dealer that I ordered my Camaro from. My car is expected in this week so I took my trade in on Saturday morning for them to look at.

Well, after alot (alot) of research I came up with a value for my trade which is the same value listed on edmunds, blackbook online, nada, you know the "respected" vehicle value sites. When evaluating my trade I always pick "clean" or one down from the best catagory to get a good idea what to expect.

Now my trade, a 2005 Equinox LT AWD, has 40K and is excellent condition! I mean excellent. Trade value is 10K on average between the three sites. The dealer comes out with a price of 8000 because they only pay AVERAGE price out of Black Book. He even showed me the book.. Average was 8225 and Clean was 9998.

To make a long story even longer, they have a 2005 Equinox LS FWD on the lot asking 13999. So I asked what they planned on listing my 8000 LT AWD with Leather for... 15999? It would be listed for more than the LS though. His response was " I don't know what we have in the other car, but we don't expect someone to pay that" No... they expect to sell it for maybe 3000 off the asking price... at most. So the LS Equinox which was listed in Black Book Average for 6100, they expect to sell for 11000?

He also showed me the column in black book what the banks are willing to lend for each vehicle... My trade was 10100. The LS on the lot the bank would lend 8600. So if I am doing my math right, they list the LS for 13999. Sell it for 11000 (no less) and the bank will only lend 8600???? So your customer has to come up with 2400 cash PLUS tax and title = 3300 down!!

What does that mean for my trade? About 4200 down!

GIVE ME A BREAK!

I am getting screwed because they think they have me backed into corner. If they don't get their act together, this car will be available soon. In the end it is just a car and I am not taking it in the a$$ any more than I am on the Camaro.

So, the deal was 500 over MSRP or 32,490. If you are interested, seriously interested, and things fall through I will give you the phone number of the new car manager I am dealing with.

I just hope you don't have a trade!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 05-04-2009, 03:47 PM

Expect this on any trades. I looked to trade my truck in last yr and a VW this yr. Edmunds and KBB are not even close to what dealers are giving on trades. I don't think it has anything to do with buying a Camaro.
post #3 of 30 Old 05-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

It's the car market. It sucks, but it is what it is.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28

post #4 of 30 Old 05-04-2009, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Expect this on any trades. I looked to trade my truck in last yr and a VW this yr. Edmunds and KBB are not even close to what dealers are giving on trades. I don't think it has anything to do with buying a Camaro.
the NADA books is what they go by and to be honest there is a pretty big discrepancy in the two (eds KBB) plus for the dealer to make money they can only pay so much,, you do save on tax that way and thats usually how it works out best for the consumer but still you will never do as well trading in as you will selling on your own. You can always threaten to walk, oh and I wouldnt pay over MSRP

Last edited by mucker15; 05-04-2009 at 04:06 PM.
post #5 of 30 Old 05-04-2009, 04:05 PM

Could try to sell it yourself and try to beat their trade value.

I haven't done it but my old roomate sold his old car on craigslist and purchased his new car there as well. He made out better than the dealer quoted trade on selling his car.

Chris
post #6 of 30 Old 05-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Banned

Why should he make bank on two vehicles. He's already snookered you into paying $500 over MSRP. Tell him he can give you $100 less than the lending value.
post #7 of 30 Old 05-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huff747 View Post
Could try to sell it yourself and try to beat their trade value.

I haven't done it but my old roomate sold his old car on craigslist and purchased his new car there as well. He made out better than the dealer quoted trade on selling his car.

Chris
I would agree, you never make out well on trades. Its just business the dealers will try to make money as much as you let them. Sometimes figuring the tax savings and not dealing with jerkoffs is worth it to some

post #8 of 30 Old 05-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Camaro Focus Group Member

that's basically how trade ins have always worked for me in the past. they have never given me what KBB or any of the other sources have said my car is worth. that's why i don't trade in vehicles anymore. i sell it myself... or i just add to the stable

"All alone in my funeral home, playing in blood, there's just got to be something wrong with me" -Slayer-
post #9 of 30 Old 05-04-2009, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Well, he is up to 9000 and says he can't go any higher... because he will be putting in over 1500 into the vehicle (inspection and detailing...i polish once a month) and will be making no money on the trade if he goes any higher. That is the take it or leave it price....

I want this car!!! but at what point is enough enough. I have been waiting for this and now that the time is near I am having a tough time walking away.

My wife says to do whatever I want, but I don't like being taken advantage of.

He knows he has a car he can sell the moment it rolls off the truck, thats the hard part.
post #10 of 30 Old 05-04-2009, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswz28 View Post
Well, he is up to 9000 and says he can't go any higher... because he will be putting in over 1500 into the vehicle (inspection and detailing...i polish once a month) and will be making no money on the trade if he goes any higher. That is the take it or leave it price....

I want this car!!! but at what point is enough enough. I have been waiting for this and now that the time is near I am having a tough time walking away.

My wife says to do whatever I want, but I don't like being taken advantage of.

He knows he has a car he can sell the moment it rolls off the truck, thats the hard part.
I would say paying over sticker is getting screwed,, the rest is just business as usual in the world of car dealers. I traded my 05 Goat ( which I loved ) for my trailblazer SS when we knew we were having a baby, fair compromise my wife rocks, anyway,, three months later I got a bill from GMAC for the Goat, they said someone had made payments for the last 3 months the dealer was making payments until the car sold. Dealers can be shady but some are great too, dont be afraid to walk if you feel that strongly about it. But with trades this doesnt sound out of the norm. When were going to get the car in your possesion?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page