How long is the Camaro going to be around? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 05-07-2009, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

How long is the Camaro going to be around?

Is the Camaro production anything like the GTO where it was only to have 3 model years? Is there a definitive date when this generation is to be done? Is there a 6th Gen in the works?

With everything happening in the automotive world, I can't help but wonder what truly will come of the Camaro. An announcement was made yesterday stating that the Corvette is not set for target practice, but I have to wonder how GM and the Government truly feel about the Camaro. How important is this first year of sales going to be for this car?

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-07-2009, 08:00 AM
Camaro Focus Group Member

from what i heard, a 6th gen is in the works... but with today's volatile environment, there are no certainties for anything

"All alone in my funeral home, playing in blood, there's just got to be something wrong with me" -Slayer-
post #3 of 23 Old 05-07-2009, 08:38 AM

My hope is that the 5th Gen will continue for 5 years and we will move onto the 6th Gen Long Live the Camaro

Sean

-2014 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
-2012 Cadillac CTS Coupe Performance Edition
-2010 2LT/RS Delivered 10/10/09
-2007 Suburban 3LT
-2001 Z/28
http://www.carshowdisplay.com

post #4 of 23 Old 05-07-2009, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member

I doubt a big redesign or anything for awhile, especially with everything going on.

Ford gave the S197 some new clothes for 2010. I bet Camaro sees some new metal by 2015. That Sounds somewhat far away, but living on loans and such, I doubt anything in the next 3-4 years.

I'm wondering if Camaro will ever see another engine. Most likely GM will give Camaro "Bump" Engines, Engines that receive small rises in HP as the years progress, the 82-92 F-body is a great example. I expect the LS3 to be here for a very long time.

EDIT: It'd be super retro to have new sheet metal in 3 years, just like the '67 Camaro getting fresh looks for '69. Doubt it will happen though.
post #5 of 23 Old 05-07-2009, 08:59 AM
www.camaroscotty.com

Garage
forever.

http://www.camaroscotty.com
YAHOO IM:
CamaroScotty / FACEBOOK: Camaro Scotty
post #6 of 23 Old 05-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
Is the Camaro production anything like the GTO where it was only to have 3 model years? Is there a definitive date when this generation is to be done? Is there a 6th Gen in the works?

With everything happening in the automotive world, I can't help but wonder what truly will come of the Camaro. An announcement was made yesterday stating that the Corvette is not set for target practice, but I have to wonder how GM and the Government truly feel about the Camaro. How important is this first year of sales going to be for this car?
Part of my reason for sticking with my order is personal concern about the future of the car after government ownership of GM and mandates to increase fuel efficiency using hybrid and electric powerplants (in order words, get it while the gettin's good). Right now the future of the Camaro beyond the 2011 model year seems uncertain, IMO.

Still legal in 16 states. It's happy. It's fun. It's Happy Fun Car.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Car.
post #7 of 23 Old 05-07-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetHawkSelena View Post
from what i heard, a 6th gen is in the works... but with today's volatile environment, there are no certainties for anything
Where did you hear this?
post #8 of 23 Old 05-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Supporter of common sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post

Again, the GTO was only intended to be around for 3 years.
The Camaro is planned to be produced as long as they can sell enough from what I've heard.

Until we see how GM shakes out, nobody can predict anything.

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #9 of 23 Old 05-07-2009, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
Again, the GTO was only intended to be around for 3 years.
Right, which is why I wondered if the Camaro may have some sort of expiration date similar to what we've seen in the past.

So it seems that its future is up in the air at this point.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #10 of 23 Old 05-08-2009, 12:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Me SOM View Post
Where did you hear this?
My invisible dragon friend confirmed this to be true.

Still legal in 16 states. It's happy. It's fun. It's Happy Fun Car.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page