Insurance above MSRP - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 05-12-2009, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Insurance above MSRP

Let me start by saying that I am not paying above MSRP. To those of you that are willing to do this I have a question; Does your insurance cover your extra money above MSRP? Because here in Massachusetts the insurance companies will not let you get insurance that would make them pay you over MSRP. I discovered this a few years ago with a Harley. I got an extra $2,000.00 for my trade in and they were charging $2,000.00 over MSRP for the motorcycles. I got my insurance at the higher valuation and a week later I got a refund in the mail because the motorcycle was not valued at the inflated price. So, if you are paying $5,000.00 over list you had better ask your insurance agent this question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-12-2009, 11:25 AM

Ins

Those willing to be silly and pay over MSRP, probably don't care how much they pay for insurance premiums either.
post #3 of 16 Old 05-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Supporter of common sense

Usually what you pay for a new car does not reflect the insured amount. If you want it insured for anyting above what the insurance company has on the books, you have to work that out another way.

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!

post #4 of 16 Old 05-12-2009, 11:38 AM

Standard auto insurance will only cover what book value is on the vehicle. You can get declared value insurance that will pay what ever value you set the vehicle for & pay the premium for. Because I already have a 1969 show car covered with declared value insurance, my carrier has agreed to cover my 2010 with $40,000 coverage & is only $560.00 a year for me. This is full coverage & unlimited mileage, no deductable. Standard insurance for me was going to be $460.00 every 6 months.
Also a note about financing, the bank will only loan up to MSRP under a standard auto loan. Above that you would have to do a unsecured personal loan or your home equity line of credit.
post #5 of 16 Old 05-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969 LSZ View Post
Standard auto insurance will only cover what book value is on the vehicle. You can get declared value insurance that will pay what ever value you set the vehicle for & pay the premium for. Because I already have a 1969 show car covered with declared value insurance, my carrier has agreed to cover my 2010 with $40,000 coverage & is only $560.00 a year for me. This is full coverage & unlimited mileage, no deductable. Standard insurance for me was going to be $460.00 every 6 months.
Also a note about financing, the bank will only loan up to MSRP under a standard auto loan. Above that you would have to do a unsecured personal loan or your home equity line of credit.

what he said
post #6 of 16 Old 05-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddan View Post
Let me start by saying that I am not paying above MSRP. To those of you that are willing to do this I have a question; Does your insurance cover your extra money above MSRP? Because here in Massachusetts the insurance companies will not let you get insurance that would make them pay you over MSRP. I discovered this a few years ago with a Harley. I got an extra $2,000.00 for my trade in and they were charging $2,000.00 over MSRP for the motorcycles. I got my insurance at the higher valuation and a week later I got a refund in the mail because the motorcycle was not valued at the inflated price. So, if you are paying $5,000.00 over list you had better ask your insurance agent this question.
For replacement value, avg resale price for your market is usually considered. There is still no way that's going to be better than MSRP once you drive it off the lot. What you paid on your invoice over MSRP is not a factor.

Still legal in 16 states. It's happy. It's fun. It's Happy Fun Car.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Car.
post #7 of 16 Old 05-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

This is what GAP is for.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #8 of 16 Old 05-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
This is what GAP is for.
Yup.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-12-2009, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-12-2009, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member

Just kidding.

Actually, the insurance company goes by their lists as compiled by the manufacturer list prices, and sets the rates based on their own risk analysis protocol. The rate is then set.

Only other alternative is to get a collector type insurance with agreed value.

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page