First timer ordering a car..... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-14-2009, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

First timer ordering a car.....

I really want to order my car, but have never ordered before (always buy off lot) and am concerned about financial situation later....

I have been to local dealer and have gotten a quote for:

1SS/RS
Manual Transmission
Imperial Blue Metallic w/ White Rally Stripes
Ground Effects Package
Boston Accoustics Speakers

MSRP: $35,470
Supplier Price: $34,151 (Credit Union discount)

I'm considering ordering it, but am in the process of house refinancing, and haven't heard back on the final #s from that yet. I know it will result in lower payment....but not sure how much lower.

Between that and current financial situation, just not sure how much I'm ready to take on a car payment again, and not sure what happens if I order it and decide I can't afford it afterwards. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-14-2009, 03:44 PM

You're going to have to put down a deposit. Should be refundable, after that, the dealers are telling me "If something happens, I could sell rows of these cars...someone else will buy yours."
P.S. I hope you buy it, I wanna see the white on blue

Quote:
The Camaro is 100 hp past its competition. The V6 is running with the top of the competition. In other words, if these cars are the whipped cream and the lower trims are the shake, the Camaro V6 is the cherry on top, and the Camaro SS is the person eating the whole ****ed thing.
-The_Blur
post #3 of 8 Old 05-14-2009, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Talked to the dealership again today and they seem to be balking at the idea of a refundable deposit. They haven't straight out said no, but they haven't come right out and said yes either.

They keep saying that once I put a deposit down and place the order, I officially own the car, and it's my responsibility when it arrives. Giving excuses about how everyone wants a specific configuration for their camaro and that they don't want to order a car that they won't be able to sell. I understand that idea, but don't understand all the legal matters in regards to what I'm agreeing to by ordering a car.

If I order the car, and for whatever reason am not able to pay for it when it comes in (99% sure this won't happen, but one never knows in this economy and looking 2 months ahead), am I still responsible for the cost of the car? If legally all they can do is refuse to refund the deposit and I loose that money, I'm fine with taking that chance.

post #4 of 8 Old 05-14-2009, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member

A deposit can be refundable or non-refundable, depending on the dealer. GOOD dealers will stand behind what they sell and offer up IN WRITING whether the deposit is refundable or not. NORMALLY (it can vary) the deposit required is $500. Any more than that and I'd want that refundable in writing.

Until you sign the final paperwork though, you don't own the car, no matter WHAT they say. If you don't believe that, see what they say if you say you're going to go after delivery to the bank to get financing in YOUR new Camaro. They won't let the car leave the lot. This tells you that it's not your responsibility. The only thing a deposit does is give you first refusal.

Don't worry, they'll be able to sell your car should you not choose to buy it. I guarantee it.

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.

Last edited by el ess X; 05-14-2009 at 05:27 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-14-2009, 05:37 PM

Just some info from my experience. I ordered 10-13-08, the first day they accepted pre orders. When we got towards the end and I had already given them everything they needed, I wrote a check for 1,000.00 as a deposit. No one had ever said it wasn't refundable at that point. But then they did. I let them know that I didn't think that was fair based on never setting eyes on the car, never sitting in the car, and never driving the car. The salesman got the sales manager person, who asked what model and color I was ordering, and when I told him 2SS Black he said they would let me back out because they thought they would sell it if I backed out. I made them put that in writing on my written up order and sign it. The car still isn't here and I still think about cancelling to get another color since the whole color pallette wasn't available for ordering on that day in the SS model. But after waiting 7 months I hate to start all over. I talked to them the other day and told him I was considering it and he said no problem. Because they get calls every day for Black SS models he said.

I think they told you that to try to get you to go ahead and place the order and feel that you couldn't change their mind. In my opinion the worst that could happen is that you pay 25.00 or 50.00 dollars to stop payment the check you give them. They cannot cash it I don't believe without you having a car. If you change your mind in before it comes in you can just apply a stop payment and you should be good. My check from 7 months ago has still never gone through the bank and they told me that it wouldn't be cashed until the car came in and all the papers were signed. I think I have also read on here from some of the dealer guys that post that they cannot "not refund your deposit" if that is what you end up wanting.

Good luck and hope this helps give you another perspective...

Ordered: 10-13-08
2SS/RS 6M SnRf Black/Gray
#2386 - built 4-3-09
Delivered 6-11-09
post #6 of 8 Old 05-14-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbingham View Post
I'm considering ordering it, but am in the process of house refinancing, and haven't heard back on the final #s from that yet. I know it will result in lower payment....but not sure how much lower.

Between that and current financial situation, just not sure how much I'm ready to take on a car payment again, and not sure what happens if I order it and decide I can't afford it afterwards. Any advice?
JUST MY .02 cents. I completely understand a love for a car and wanting one really bad. BUT based on your last comments (and nothing else) you are not in a position to purchase a $35k car. If your financial situation is not in order or unsure....wait..get your finances squared away and order the car when you are absolutley positive that you are prepared to purchase without regret. Do not put your self in a financial bind based on a car in the current economic times. Additionally, you do not want to be car poor and not be able to enjoy your purchase. Again...these comments are simply based on your financial uncertainty.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-14-2009, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Well...it's official. I went to the dealer today with my checkbook and ordered my new Camaro. Talked to a different salesman today since the other one was off and took a slightly different approach.

Instead of asking questions about ordering, I simply said I wanted to order one. Then as he was finishing up the order, before they could talk $$ I simply said "so that's $500 deposit and is refundable, correct?" The dealer kinda looked at me dumbfounded for 2-3 seconds....but agreed. Got everything in writing and initialed. So end result is the exact car above for supplier price and a $500 refundable deposit.

Dealer said they expect it'll be in Mid-Late July, but who knows with they times I'm hearing from other people on here. Hopefully the increase of the production line they have planned will speed up some of the lag times people have been seeing.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-14-2009, 11:47 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
You can always get pre-approve for the loan that way you know for sure....

2014 2LT/RS with spring edition package. Proud Litho Owner #28.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page