Camaro rants and raves - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 05-15-2009, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Camaro Focus Group Member

Camaro rants and raves

so... now that we've owned Bumblebee for almost a week... i figure i'd post up my own little mini-review

first up, handling! while driving on the "clover-leaf" style interstate ramps we have around here... i have really pushed the car and boy was i impressed. now, i'm no professional racer, but i have been around the autoX courses a few times. most recently, we had been running our GTO at the local autoX. i had always been impressed how that car handled for being heavy compared to our 4th gen fbodies. well, the new Camaro makes the GTO feel like a heavy, sloppy pig in comparison. i was really pleasantly surprised... especially since the Camaro is just a tad heavier than the goat. the amount of grip and lack of push thru the turns is AMAZING! the GTO used to push very easy. i have yet to experience any push in the Camaro. it's a night and day difference and i'm lovin' it. i can't wait to take the Camaro to an autoX and see what kinda numbers we can get

those Brembo's are freakin' sweet too. i knew Brembo's were good brakes, so i wasn't as surprised there... but **** these things do an awesome job of stopping/slowing the car quicker than i had imagined they would. between the suspension and the brakes, this car handles like a dream. i am really itching to throw it around the autoX course and embarass and surprise a few people there

the stock GM shifter is completely awesome. this totally blew me away. we had originally ordered the car with the Hurst cuz we have the Hurst in the Firehawk and the SS and we do like their shifters. also, the Hawk and the GTO both came with stock GM shifters and they definitely left a lot to be desired. i like short-throw, notchy shifts. but of course, being an early build, they took the Hurst off our order... but now i'm glad they did. i REALLY like the stock GM shifter in this car.... i never thought i'd say that!! but ****, i am impressed! i will probably skip upgrading to the Hurst unless it is considerably better... which i doubt will be the case... that's how good the GM shifter is.

the steering wheel is actually one of my favorite pieces in the interior. it has the cruise and radio functions of today on it... along with the throwback styling which i absolutely love. i don't undertsand how some mags said they didn't like the steering wheel. and they mentioned it was off center or something?? i don't notice that at all. there isn't a single thing i can find that i don't like about it. i love it

the seats are so comfy, yet supportive! our GTO had similar front seats with the great side bolsters. however, the bolsters in the GTO were kinda hard and so was the leather. the Camaro's bolsters are firm but forgiving... and the leather is so supple i just wanna rub on it all the time. lollz. a lot of people have commented on the seats too. everyone likes them.

the gauges are hella cool and nice and functional. i'm a sucker for gauges. i HATE idiot lights. gimme a gauge so i can see what's going on before it becomes a problem. the console gauges are cool... still confused why we have a trans temp gauge on an M6, but what the hey. everyone does seem to love the console gauges too. and the gauges in the IP are easily readable thru the opening in the steering wheel. i find the speedometer a little tricky to read in its analog format... but thank goodness they have a digital one in that center spot. and i love having the ability to scroll thru all the functions in that center spot too. very nice!!

acceleration!! OMG!! i will say this, this car has a lot in common with the GTO. the RPM ranges are the same as the GTO (the car will bog bad if you put it in 6th under 50MPH, you can be in third gear at 15MPH, etc) they are identical in that regard. and that will be different for those coming from driving a 4th gen. it also has the same dang torque mgmt that the GTO had... which means you will most likely bog or buck on a hard launch (thank god for computer tunes). but once the wheels get rolling, this thing pulls like a freight train. it definitely pulls harder than the GTO... and i notice at 4,000 RPM it's almost like it gets a shot of nitrous and really starts pulling. i can't wait to take it to the drag strip and see what kinda times i can run.

i know there's more that i'm forgetting, but that's all i can think of right now... i'll just have to go drive it again and see what i left out

"All alone in my funeral home, playing in blood, there's just got to be something wrong with me" -Slayer-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-15-2009, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Awesome thanks for sharing

2014 2LT/RS with spring edition package. Proud Litho Owner #28.
post #3 of 19 Old 05-15-2009, 12:57 PM

Im so jealous I really cant wait to get mine now LOL

2010 Camaro LS

post #4 of 19 Old 05-15-2009, 01:00 PM
SS-Eric

great write up!

SS-ERIC
post #5 of 19 Old 05-15-2009, 01:31 PM

Great Review Selena!!!

post #6 of 19 Old 05-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Supporter of common sense

so no rants?

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #7 of 19 Old 05-15-2009, 02:08 PM

Glad to hear it. THis makes my wait soooo much longer tho. Thanks for posting.

Former F bodies
1979 Girlinetta Auto
1995 Blue A4 Z28
1996 Triple black M6 Z28 Conv
2000 Black M6 T/A
post #8 of 19 Old 05-15-2009, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Camaro Focus Group Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
so no rants?

lollz... not really. maybe the analog speedo... but it's not that i don't like it... it's just kinda hard to read when you're at hwy speeds.

"All alone in my funeral home, playing in blood, there's just got to be something wrong with me" -Slayer-
post #9 of 19 Old 05-15-2009, 02:24 PM

man, i cant wait to see/feel for myself. im just waiting for some money to build up in my account to buy. i mean from what ive seen, read, and herd its an instant classic and worth every penny

proud owner of a 1SS black on black! born 5-4-12
post #10 of 19 Old 05-15-2009, 02:28 PM

Awesome..thanks for the info. I CANNOT wait until I have mine!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page