Extended Warranty?? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 05-20-2009, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Extended Warranty??

As I was checking my status today (yep still 3000) my sales guy informed me that GM came out with their Extended Warranty packages/prices. I have never bought an extended warranty on any car and have never needed it, however the 2010 Camaro being new and all I am not sure? Plus..I eventually want to do engine mods etc and know that they will void the warranty so I will want to wait until it is up. So based on the below packages and prices....what do you all think?

36/36 to 48/48--$660
36/36 to 60/60--$1090
36/36 to 72/72--$1600
36/36 to 84/84--$2100

Maybe Camaro Scotty can confirm or deny if these prices are correct. Appreciate any and all thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-20-2009, 10:29 PM

Since I plan to keep this car for a long time, I have thought about this subject and am also curious as to accuracy of the figures stated above and also to what extent the warranty will cover.

Past: 1985 Chevy Camaro Z28 and 1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
Still have: 2001 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner
2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS: Ordered 01-13-2009: 2SS/RS M6 in Silver Ice with gray interior.
Born: 05-12-2009 - VIN: 9438 - Delivered to me on 05-29-09.
post #3 of 24 Old 05-20-2009, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyGuy View Post
36/36 to 48/48--$660
36/36 to 60/60--$1090
36/36 to 72/72--$1600
36/36 to 84/84--$2100
I will be getting an extended warranty for my Camaro (for the reasons you mentioned...first model of new generation), just not sure whether I will go for the 60/60 or all the way up to the 84/84 plan (wish it was 84/100K). I bought an extended warranty on my 2000 Durango R/T, which was the first model year it was AWD, and it paid for itself with 2 Transfer Case re-builds, and power window motor, power steering pump leak (to name a few) in the latter years of the warranty. I sold it with 6-8 months left on it. When I bought my 2007 Mazda CX-7, I did not keep the car long enough for the warranty to directly benefit me, but when it came time to sell it after the standard warranty miles / months had passed, it helped to sell the vehicle since mine was still covered for 4 years passed the competition...

I plan to run this extended warranty to the very end of it's term...

post #4 of 24 Old 05-21-2009, 05:54 AM

I do not buy these things unless there is a proven history of problems. GM usually allows you to purchase the extended warranty any time during the original warranty period. They also send you information before that time. I will continue to visit this site and watch for problems. No problems, no extended warranty. One must be careful of the internet though. I have a 2007 Harley big twin that everyone on the net was complaining about the new at the time 6 speed tranny. It was a gear whine issue from people that lugged their engine not an actual problem. I wanted to know if anyone had grenaded a tranny and no one had so I passed on their extended warranty. My money is better in my pocket than their's. The warranty on the 2010 Camaro is much better than the one that I got with my 2002 SS. I never would have used it had I boyght it. My 2002SS is getting traded today for my 2010SS. It has 61000 miles on it. The only issue was with the catalytic converters. Gm had extended the warranty on these at no charge because they knew that there was a problem. I had both sides replaced at no charge after the original warranty was already gone.
post #5 of 24 Old 05-21-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddan View Post
I do not buy these things unless there is a proven history of problems. GM usually allows you to purchase the extended warranty any time during the original warranty period. They also send you information before that time. I will continue to visit this site and watch for problems. No problems, no extended warranty. One must be careful of the internet though. I have a 2007 Harley big twin that everyone on the net was complaining about the new at the time 6 speed tranny. It was a gear whine issue from people that lugged their engine not an actual problem. I wanted to know if anyone had grenaded a tranny and no one had so I passed on their extended warranty. My money is better in my pocket than their's. The warranty on the 2010 Camaro is much better than the one that I got with my 2002 SS. I never would have used it had I boyght it. My 2002SS is getting traded today for my 2010SS. It has 61000 miles on it. The only issue was with the catalytic converters. Gm had extended the warranty on these at no charge because they knew that there was a problem. I had both sides replaced at no charge after the original warranty was already gone.
BUT, in the beginning only is usually when you can negotiate the price a bit. I got about 20% off buying the 7/70 extended GM Majorguard up front.

RJT 2SS/RS roared to life March 16th, 2009
VIN 2G1FT1EW6A9100074
ARRIVED 5/13 day 58 Safely at home-> 5/19

"A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away." - Barry Goldwater
post #6 of 24 Old 05-21-2009, 07:02 AM

you might have gotten some knocked up becuase the finance guy padded it and gave up some profit, sometimes its really cheaper to wait.

Red Jewel 2SS

2003 Monte Carlo SS "Pace Car"
post #7 of 24 Old 05-21-2009, 07:21 AM

no sense in buying an extended warranty if I plan on voiding it pretty soon

2010 Victory Red Camaro SS/RS LS3/M6 Car #227

post #8 of 24 Old 05-21-2009, 07:26 AM
Supporter of common sense

Generally speaking extended warranties are a waste of money. From time to time someone really benefits, but not most of the time.

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #9 of 24 Old 05-21-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
Generally speaking extended warranties are a waste of money. From time to time someone really benefits, but not most of the time.
Yeah as I told someone who tried to sell me an extended warranty on a TV I bought, If I added up all the money I could have spent on extended warranties its much more than I've ever had to spend to replace the few things that have died in what would have been their extended warranty period. If you look at 1 thing that broke and cost a lot it sounds good but looka at how much you would have spent if you bought warranties on everything they offered it on.

Red Jewel 2SS

2003 Monte Carlo SS "Pace Car"
post #10 of 24 Old 05-21-2009, 09:10 AM

I got the extended warranty for my G8 because it is the family car and we will keep if for a long time.

If you are keeping the Camaro stock for a LONG time an extended warranty sounds good. If you are planning to modify it it probably isn't worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page