Since I'm not allowed to test drive...(question) - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 07-18-2009, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Since I'm not allowed to test drive...(question)

Well, I've ditched my pursuit of the Challenger and have decided to grab a 2LT or maybe a 1SS silver Camaro. However, I have absolutely no idea how they feel on the road. For those of you that have either one, how is the ride?

I would assume the SS is a much stiffer suspension than the LT's? By comparison, the Challenger SRT(6.1L) is a very stiff suspension compared to their RT's(5.7). The RT's ride almost like a luxury car.

Any input from the peanut gallery on how rough the ride is on the two? The dealerships around here will not let you test drive so I will have to rely on you guys' comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-18-2009, 04:29 AM
Veteran Member

Why cant u test drive?

'Winning'
post #3 of 21 Old 07-18-2009, 08:52 AM

Probably b/c his local dealers think these are Enzo's or something.

post #4 of 21 Old 07-18-2009, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modsled View Post
Why cant u test drive?
As of right now the only Camaros they have coming in are sold orders. The closest dealership that has a readily available supply on the lot is about 3 hours away.
post #5 of 21 Old 07-18-2009, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

find one at Avis and rent one then

'Winning'
post #6 of 21 Old 07-18-2009, 10:39 AM

I road in a 2SS 2 weeks ago,, It rides just about as good as my wife's Escalade.. No joke.. It is very smooth and quite.. no stiff at all.. and hell-a-better than my 4th gen.

2010 Camaro RS/SS HKE Forged 416 CID Stroker /2005 Silver Cadillac Escalade
http://www.fquick.com/ThunderZ28
510 HP/482 Ft. Lbs
post #7 of 21 Old 07-18-2009, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderSS View Post
I road in a 2SS 2 weeks ago,, It rides just about as good as my wife's Escalade.. No joke.. It is very smooth and quite.. no stiff at all.. and hell-a-better than my 4th gen.
That's actually very surprising to hear. Even my dealer told me the SS will be a pretty stiff ride. But since they seem to know very little about the car from the questions I've asked, I doubt they've even driven the thing yet.
post #8 of 21 Old 07-18-2009, 10:49 AM

I was hot and heavy for a Challenger myself, being a lifetime Mopar guy and all, but my reason for not getting one was the greedy dealers adding 5K to the price and almost 3K for the 6cyl - which is what I wanted. I never drove a Challenger (new one) but I can tell you that my 1LT drives smooth and tight. The steering is very responsive and the ride is very comfortable. I just drove my car all the way from Long Island to Carlisle PA for the Mopar show last week and it handled the NYC bumps and potholes very nicely - It didn't bounce all over the road when I hit one and it was easy to correct when a bump threw it for a loop. The suspension is firm but yet not stiff like a truck. You will be pleased with the ride - no doubt. Now, you can't test drive one at your dealer?? That stinks. The first words out of my dealer's mouth when I inquired about the car on his lot was, "You need to drive this"! - so I did and bought it that afternoon. Good luck with your decision, mine was tough but the Dodge dealers made it easy for me and I now truly believe that the Camaro is a MUCH superior car than the Challenger. Rob

2010 1LT Camaro BLACK
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda, factory 440 + 6, factory N96, all numbers matching

post #9 of 21 Old 07-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
I have the 2LT and wow the best riding car i ever owned no joke. I took it on a road trip aprox 3+ hours it felt like i drove 30 minutes i wasn't tired afterwards no car lag it was amazing. Smooth... quiet... comfy... and of course quick

2014 2LT/RS with spring edition package. Proud Litho Owner #28.
post #10 of 21 Old 07-18-2009, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the good info guys.

I still think the Challenger is a great car. But between them almost sliding into Chapter 7, the "market adjustments" they were trying to do outside of when they offered EPP, and the horrible looking blingy plastic rims they have on the RT's, I finally decided to give up on it. Besides, since they haven't even started production again for the 2010's, there are almost no Challengers left on the lots anyway.

One more thing, what about the blind spot on the Camaro? It's not that big a deal having to use the mirrors when changing lanes. But I'm mostly concerned about backing out of a parking place. I wouldn't want to be at the mercy of invisible oncoming traffic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page