I love my car...but... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 Old 07-19-2009, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

I love my car...but...

I really want this car to be perfect.

Alright, I'm going to get a little nit-picky here. Let me know if I am totally out of line here, or if these things bug you too.

I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist at times. There are some little things that bug me about the car that would have been easy catches, but I think everyone was so caught up in making a totally awesome car that some of the little things got overlooked.

Maybe GM can sort some of this out in the next model year...?

1. No binder for the owners manual. Every car I have purchased has had one. I didn't buy a KIA! (heck, maybe Kia's even have one )

2. No rear seat floor mats. I know there isn't much to the back seat, but they help keep the carpet floor clean. UPDATE: competition does include rear floor mats, so it makes sense the Camaro wouldn't, they are available from GM Parts

3. Home link garage door opener has no light in the dark, making it a little hard to find, even more so since it is not centered in the overhead area.

4. Trunk button also is not lit up. This one doesn't bother me as much since I don't find myself reaching for it in the dark. UPDATE: I guess it isn't lit up on a lot of cars since it's on the remote, I guess I have just been spoiled

5. I can't insert a CD into the slot when the power is off. I can eject it though, you just can't insert one.

6. No small little cubby to throw coins in.

7. When dialing via bluetooth link cell phone, if I use voice commands to dial, why doesn't it let me listen to the ringing. I always miss the first 2 seconds of the call which sometimes makes people hang up on me if they think no one is there. I find myself watching the radio display to see when the call is connected because I don't hear the 'hello', I should be watching the road, that's the purpose of hands free, right? UPDATE: If I initiate dialing from the phone, I hear it ringing through the speakers, it is only the voice command dialing.

8. The express up and down on the windows is funky, doesn't always work, expecially when I am trying to roll up both windows, I haven't quite figured this one out yet...UPDATE: I think I am holding the button too long, there seems to me a small window where I have to let go of the buttons. For me, if I hold it all the way until the window is half way, then let go, it stops in the middle, but if I just hold it firmly for a quarter second or so, then the express feature works.

9. I love the digital spedometer, so much that I never look at the anolog one. I like that it tells me what speed I set the cruise at, but why does that sit on the display for 6 or 7 seconds? 1 second would be plenty. UPDATE / WORKAROUND: You can press the 'set/clear' button on the end of the stick to switch back to the speedo right away

That's all the little ones. I still have to listen to my wife complain every time she sits in it that she is sitting too low, especially when we are going into the sun and the little visor does absolutely no good,(UPDATE: visor size limited for safety ratings) so it would be real nice if the passenger seat had an up / down adjustment. And it really bugs me that 1 out of 10 times I start it up it doesn't recognize my ipod...

But, like I said, I LOVE MY CAR! And I wouldn't trade it for anything.

And for those who know, I was thinking about a V6 at first and even intially ordered it as a V6...YES, I am glad I got the V8. There is nothing wrong with getting the V6, and I would be just as happy with that, but if you can afford the V8, get it.

-Brad
(2,200 miles and going strong )

Last edited by bgrorud; 07-23-2009 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Added updates to some of the points.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 07-20-2009, 12:11 AM

I agree on most of that lol. I only use the digital display, the passenger seat sits way low, visors are pointless. But it's minors...I love my car too.

Just broke 2k...

<3 Mine:2LT IOM CGM rally stripes sunroof <3
post #3 of 58 Old 07-20-2009, 12:25 AM
barbarianmotorsports

i love my car also . i do agree with on #6 that would be first on my list. but some of the stuff you can't really complain its not a luxury car it is a muscule car. power and sexy styling. also it is hard to see your fenders or front end. it will take time to get used to.

www.BARBARIANMOTORSPORTS.com
"THE STARTING LINE FOR PERFORMANCE"

post #4 of 58 Old 07-20-2009, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Personal experience comparison is to my 2000 Impala and my 2002 Buick Rendezvous.

Yes, these are minor items...but also things I would consider "easy fixes" for GM to make...

And with Visibility, my problem is backing up, not really knowing where the back end ends...

Last edited by bgrorud; 07-20-2009 at 12:55 AM.
post #5 of 58 Old 07-20-2009, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrorud View Post

Alright, I'm going to get a little nit-picky here. Let me know if I am totally out of line here, or if these things bug you too.

I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist at times. There are some little things that bug me about the car that would have been easy catches, but I think everyone was so caught up in making a totally awesome car that some of the little things got overlooked.

Maybe GM can sort some of this out...

1. No binder for the owners manual. Every car I have purchased has had one. I didn't buy a KIA! (heck, maybe Kia's even have one )

2. No rear seat floor mats. I know there isn't much to the back seat, but they help keep the carpet floor clean.

3. Home link garage door opener has no light in the dark, making it a little hard to find, even more so since it is not centered in the overhead area.

4. Trunk button also is not lit up. This one doesn't bother me as much since I don't find myself reaching for it in the dark, but...c'mon.

5. I can't insert a CD into the slot when the power is off. I can eject it though, you just can't insert one.

7. When dialing via bluetooth link cell phone, if I use voice commands to dial, why doesn't it let me listen to the ringing. I always miss the first 2 seconds of the call which sometimes makes people hang up on me if they think no one is there. I find myself watching the radio display to see when the call is connected because I don't hear the 'hello', I should be watching the road, that's the purpose of hands free, right?

8. The express up and down on the windows is funky, doesn't always work, expecially when I am trying to roll up both windows, I haven't quite figured this one out yet...

9. I love the digital spedometer, so much that I never look at the anolog one. I like that it tells me what speed I set the cruise at, but why does that sit on the display for 6 or 7 seconds? 1 second would be plenty.

That's all the little ones. I still have to listen to my wife complain every time she sits in it that she is sitting too low, especially when we are going into the sun and the little visor does absolutely no good, so it would be real nice if the passenger seat had an up / down adjustment. And it really bugs me that 1 out of 10 times I start it up it doesn't recognize my ipod...

And for those who know, I was thinking about a V6 at first and even intially ordered it as a V6...YES, I am glad I got the V8. There is nothing wrong with getting the V6, and I would be just as happy with that, but if you can afford the V8, get it.

-Brad
pick, pick pick, I love my 1SS without the BUT. Which car is perect? Right, none. I bought mine for the ballsy V-8. This is my fourth Camaro and I loved all of them even if they were not perfect. They were all fast and proudly proclaimed that they were not Japanese.
post #6 of 58 Old 07-20-2009, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member

1. No binder for the owners manual. Get one from a 4th Gen or have one made perhaps?

2. No rear seat floor mats. I know there isn't much to the back seat, but they help keep the carpet floor clean.If I'm not mistaken, the GM accessory mats come with front and back. Could be wrong on that. Plus they have a cool "Camaro" logo on the front ones.

3. Home link garage door opener has no light in the dark, making it a little hard to find, even more so since it is not centered in the overhead area. Just a logistics issue. Pretty soon it'll be as common to find in the dark as scratching your a&&.

4. Trunk button also is not lit up. This one doesn't bother me as much since I don't find myself reaching for it in the dark, but...c'mon. Use the fob then. Or see response to #3 above.

5. I can't insert a CD into the slot when the power is off. I can eject it though, you just can't insert one. That is kinda lame. But someone else is making the radios now, so it's something you got to live with I guess.

6. No small little cubby to throw coins in. If you buy the "smokers" package accessory, don't you get a little ash tray or something with it? You could use that as a "cubby".

7. When dialing via bluetooth link cell phone, if I use voice commands to dial, why doesn't it let me listen to the ringing. I always miss the first 2 seconds of the call which sometimes makes people hang up on me if they think no one is there. I find myself watching the radio display to see when the call is connected because I don't hear the 'hello', I should be watching the road, that's the purpose of hands free, right? That is kind of cheezy, I would agree.

8. The express up and down on the windows is funky, doesn't always work, expecially when I am trying to roll up both windows, I haven't quite figured this one out yet... I thought you had to hold them for a second then let go, or something like that. Or you could just hold the buttons until satisfied.

9. I love the digital spedometer, so much that I never look at the anolog one. I like that it tells me what speed I set the cruise at, but why does that sit on the display for 6 or 7 seconds? 1 second would be plenty. You should be looking at the road. This is where HUD would come in handy.

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
post #7 of 58 Old 07-20-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Personal experience comparison is to my 2000 Impala and my 2002 Buick Rendezvous.

Yes, these are minor items...but also things I would consider "easy fixes" for GM to make...

And with Visibility, my problem is backing up, not really knowing where the back end ends...
Backing up will take some getting used to, but it wasn't any different in my '97 (until I got used to it, I was just guessing where my rear bumper was, and let's not talk about the front end ) I just can't see quite as low.
The windows I quickly figured out. If you hit the window down button, you hit it again to stop it. It's weird, but no big deal.

The only thing I really don't like is the door height.
If you're tall, you have to adjust the seat height down as far as it goes, so to rest my arm on the door, it is at about a 45 degree angle.
The other things I find quirky I'll adapt to easily.

You gotta see Jack.
post #8 of 58 Old 07-20-2009, 07:58 AM

1. My salesman gave me one from another car, but yeah should have one.

2. Yeah, again should have that.

3. My other 2 cars dont have lights on them either, I wish they just made them protrude a little more so I could feel them better.

4. Its not lit on the Monte and don't remember having a GM car where it was ever lit. And I usually use the fob.

5. Have never tried to insert a CD in any car that was off, so no idea. And on this one I use memor sticks most the time.

6. The monte has a coin holder, otherwise they just went in the door compartment (just cleaned it out to the tune of about $50) so again dont miss it.

7. My phone (so far) wont let me use voice dial with blutooth.

8. Windows have been fine for me.

9. Only used cruise 1 time and that was before I put the display on speed/

Of all these things my biggest disappoingment is no passenger seat height adjustment.

Red Jewel 2SS

2003 Monte Carlo SS "Pace Car"

Last edited by Ngry67; 07-20-2009 at 08:02 AM.
post #9 of 58 Old 07-20-2009, 08:26 AM
Supporter of common sense

Quote:

Maybe GM can sort some of this out...

2. No rear seat floor mats. I know there isn't much to the back seat, but they help keep the carpet floor clean.

4. Trunk button also is not lit up. This one doesn't bother me as much since I don't find myself reaching for it in the dark, but...c'mon.

7. When dialing via bluetooth link cell phone, if I use voice commands to dial, why doesn't it let me listen to the ringing. I always miss the first 2 seconds of the call which sometimes makes people hang up on me if they think no one is there. I find myself watching the radio display to see when the call is connected because I don't hear the 'hello', I should be watching the road, that's the purpose of hands free, right?

8. The express up and down on the windows is funky, doesn't always work, expecially when I am trying to roll up both windows, I haven't quite figured this one out yet...

9. I love the digital spedometer, so much that I never look at the anolog one. I like that it tells me what speed I set the cruise at, but why does that sit on the display for 6 or 7 seconds? 1 second would be plenty.

That's all the little ones. I still have to listen to my wife complain every time she sits in it that she is sitting too low, especially when we are going into the sun and the little visor does absolutely no good, so it would be real nice if the passenger seat had an up / down adjustment. And it really bugs me that 1 out of 10 times I start it up it doesn't recognize my ipod...

-Brad
1. Did other Camaros come with one and your is missing? If not, I'd much rather have a more affordable car than have a cheap vinyl cover.
2. Many vehicles had rear mats optional, again it keeps costs down.
3. My GMC Homelink button is not lit up. I have no problem finding it.
4. When I have driven cars with a trunk button, I had no problem finding it.
5. I cannot insert a CD into my GMC player when the power is off either. Not sure why I would want to.
6. Coins go in the ashtray. Most vehicles I have been in do not have spare cubby holes
7. No bluetooth experience here
8. Express down should work consisitently, see your dealer if there is an issue. I have never heard of express up for safety reasons, does the Camaro offer this?

Little things like these help keep the cost down and this is often carried over in the MSRP.

Some people want Ferrari quality and features on a Cobalt budget. This is not true in real life

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #10 of 58 Old 07-20-2009, 08:41 AM

I've always been happy with being able to eject the CD with the key out of the ignition.
I've never needed to insert one that way.

Without the four pack of gauges, a CD case and/or coins fit nicely in that area.

Ok. One other thing bugs me just a bit.
Why does such a large area behind the rear view mirror need to be non-transparent?
I mean I probably know why, On Star, blue tooth, whatever, but that is a pretty large area not to be able to see through on a pretty small front windshield.

You gotta see Jack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page