What Would You Do? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 07-20-2009, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

What Would You Do?

Ok, I leave for basic training(Air Force) Dec. 8 and i wanted to order a 2SS Camaro before i leave so when i get back it'll be here waiting for me in my driveway.....when would you think it'll be the best time to order it i have the money to order it now but will barely meet the car note and insurance with my current job but i was plan on getting a little side job if i do decide on ordering it now. So what would you do if you were in my shoes?!

Last edited by camarokidjb89; 07-20-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 07-20-2009, 08:49 PM

Where do you live Airman.....ps....thanks for your service!

Foose Legend - MRT V2
post #3 of 28 Old 07-20-2009, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreammy View Post
Where do you live Airman.....ps....thanks for your service!
Louisiana...your welcome

post #4 of 28 Old 07-20-2009, 09:06 PM
WH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarokidjb89 View Post
Ok, I leave for basic training(Air Force) Dec. 8 and i wanted to order a 2SS Camaro before i leave so when i get back it'll be here waiting for me in my driveway.....when would you think it'll be the best time to order it i have the money to order it now but will barely meet the car note and insurance with my current job but i was plan on getting a little side job if i do decide on ordering it now. So what would you do if you were in my shoes?!

-Airman James
Not to be a harda**, but your not an Airman yet. The base monthly pay for an E1 with less than 4 month of active duty is $1,294.50, don't know what kind of contract that you may have with the Air Force, but let's say for argument sake that you come out of basic and are an E3, that is 1,649.00 per month before taxes and other BAQ, COMRATS, etc, if you rate the addtional income.

With a 4 year note and and only financing 31,500, say with around a 5% note, your at $720.00, without insurance, gas, etc. Go 54, 60, 72 months, and it will look better, the fact is that if your just joining the miltary and your a boot, you don't know where you will be stationed, or if you'll make it through to become an active duty service member.

If I were to join the military, I would save my money, ensure that I made it through your "basic training", figure out where your school and follow on duty station will be, and then make a choice.

Now with that said, if your parents are wealthy, or if you hit the lottery and wanted to join the service, buy what the hell you want, if your going to try and make your way in life, do it smart.

Semper Fi

W

Came to life 6/19
At home 7/3
DD 2007 Classic Z-71
Owns 2004 Corvette Conv. 3X Black, 6spd.
2004 Harley Davidson Fatboy
post #5 of 28 Old 07-20-2009, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH1 View Post
Not to be a harda**, but your not an Airman yet. The base monthly pay for an E1 with less than 4 month of active duty is $1,294.50, don't know what kind of contract that you may have with the Air Force, but let's say for argument sake that you come out of basic and are an E3, that is 1,649.00 per month before taxes and other BAQ, COMRATS, etc, if you rate the addtional income.

With a 4 year note and and only financing 31,500, say with around a 5% note, your at $720.00, without insurance, gas, etc. Go 54, 60, 72 months, and it will look better, the fact is that if your just joining the miltary and your a boot, you don't know where you will be stationed, or if you'll make it through to become an active duty service member.

If I were to join the military, I would save my money, ensure that I made it through your "basic training", figure out where your school and follow on duty station will be, and then make a choice.

Now with that said, if your parents are wealthy, or if you hit the lottery and wanted to join the service, buy what the hell you want, if your going to try and make your way in life, do it smart.

Semper Fi

W
Thanks for that and yes i'll be starting at an E-3 i have a few thousands saved, my dad will co-sign and he has excellent credit so the note will not be that high and insurance also i already got quote on insurance and that isn't over 200. so you can say i'm looking at 6 something a month insurance included plus the other stuff so i can still manage to save and get the car. n btw i'll make it with no problem i can take the hollering because it's a mind thing and i'm in excellent shape for the activities i'll be going threw over there.
post #6 of 28 Old 07-21-2009, 05:33 AM
WH1

Quote:
Thanks for that and yes i'll be starting at an E-3 i have a few thousands saved, my dad will co-sign and he has excellent credit so the note will not be that high and insurance also i already got quote on insurance and that isn't over 200. so you can say i'm looking at 6 something a month insurance included plus the other stuff so i can still manage to save and get the car. n btw i'll make it with no problem i can take the hollering because it's a mind thing and i'm in excellent shape for the activities i'll be going threw over there.
Wishing you all the best with your choices, both the Air Force and the Camaro.

W

Came to life 6/19
At home 7/3
DD 2007 Classic Z-71
Owns 2004 Corvette Conv. 3X Black, 6spd.
2004 Harley Davidson Fatboy
post #7 of 28 Old 07-21-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I applaud you on you commitment to serve our country, and I wish you the best in you military career!

Now, I don't mean to be a killjoy, but I think you should wait and focus on the task at hand. Basic training and your advanced individual training will be an extremely intense transformation process. You are going from a civilian to porfessional military service member, and that should not be taken lightly. I speak from experience, as I served in the Army from 1985 to 1992. I did my first three years in Germany, and ordered my car before I returned stateside in 1988. I started as an E-1, but I was an E-5 when I ordered my car (a 1988 Mustang LX 5.0).

You didn't state if you knew where your permanent duty station would be, but I wouldn't trust shipping such a new car through the military. Seen too many horror stories. Plus, being that you're an enlisted person, you'll most likely be living on base in barracks or dorm-style living quarters. Which means you'll be parking in an open parking lot, subjecting your car to the harshness of the environment on a daily basis. Not to count the times of, or length of time you'll be deployed.

In a nutshell, focus on getting your career off on a good start. Once you're established, then focus on the Camaro. A good idea would be to put aside the money you think you will spend on the note and insurance plus estimated fuel costs; to see if you could live off of the rest. Sometimes things that look good on paper, work out differently in the real world. Good luck to you!
post #8 of 28 Old 07-21-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Louisiana...your welcome
BTW, what part of Louisiana? I was born in New Orleans and grew up in Plaquemine. Haven't been back there since 1997. I was thinking about a major road trip when I get my Camaro. A sort of "reunion" tour! lol!
post #9 of 28 Old 07-21-2009, 11:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Do you know how many Airman I saw make the same mistake you're about to make and end up in the 1st Shirts Office explaining why he can't pay his bills?
post #10 of 28 Old 07-21-2009, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

yea I've posted the same question on different forms and I'll just get the 2011 Coupe, everybody telling me to save and wait so I will by then with the extra money I saved up plus my job money I might just put a big down payment on my 2011....and I live in Opelousas about 20 minutes away from Lafayette.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page