Engine covers are they really worth having? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 07-23-2009, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Engine covers are they really worth having?

A buddy of mine the other day took a 4 1/2 hour cruise in his New Camaro when he got back in town he stopped off at my house and wanted to show me his new custom painted engine cover. After looking at it from on the car he wanted to show me how the quality of the paint job so he removed it and OMG heat from hell came out under the hood especially after he removed the Cover.

These dam things trap heat like no other. perhaps a cover like corvette uses would be better for the engine and to let it cool down a little.

what are yalls thoughts ?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 07-23-2009, 03:47 PM

Get rid of those heat sinks! Dumbest idea ever (engine covers). Let the poor engine breath for goodness sake! I hate tupperware on my engine. I'll just have to find some other use for it. Holding nuts and bolts when working on things, or as an appetizer tray?
post #3 of 33 Old 07-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Supporter of common sense

Some people like the looks of them.

IMO the motors look better without. Also, if you plan to pop your hood at a car show or the like, your motor compartment better not be 100% stock or stock with just a painted cover

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!

post #4 of 33 Old 07-23-2009, 05:32 PM

post #5 of 33 Old 07-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
Some people like the looks of them.

IMO the motors look better without. Also, if you plan to pop your hood at a car show or the like, your motor compartment better not be 100% stock or stock with just a painted cover
How's anyone going to tell you have a new cam, assuming that's *all* you did?

Still legal in 16 states. It's happy. It's fun. It's Happy Fun Car.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Car.
post #6 of 33 Old 07-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

mines coming off when I get the car home. I don't like the way the look, rather see the motor.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #7 of 33 Old 07-23-2009, 08:19 PM

i actually noticed after i took off my engine cover on my cobalt the running coolant temp dropped 2 degrees i know not much but its still cooler running for the engine.

GTFO of here with your ricer math
post #8 of 33 Old 07-23-2009, 08:36 PM

I posted these on another forum.....

I parked my car at about 4:30pm yesterday after a few minute trip home from work. No wot or beating on the car. I came out at about 8:30ish just to mess around. I decided to check out the engine cover and what not. Well I noticed that the motor was still extreamly hot for sitting for about 4 hours. I dont remember it taking this long for my 4th gen to cool down to a reasonable temp.

If I had a laser temp gun I would of gotten some temps of the top of the cover and under the cover plus the intake manifold weight. The engine cover even has an insulator pad on the underside.

Anyone think that a CAI would benifit better if the manifold wasnt covered?

then

Think about like this. Your spending up to $500 for a cai. Some of them grab air from the engine bay, others do not. They both as of right now make about the same amount of power on a dyno. Then look at the big baffles on the stock intake. The only thing all the aftermarket intakes have in common is the baffles are removed, therefore making a continuious smooth airflow path to the TB. Then once the air hits the manifold (that is hot from engine operation alone) it is again being heated probably more so than by not having a cai in the first place. Because the air now travels down individual runners instead of one big opening.....meaning easier to soak up any heat the manifold has built. Think of it like a heat sink to dissapate heat. So to make matters worse we trap the heat to the manifold instead of having cool air to help keep intake temps down.

So I guess what Im getting at here is that I think the CAI only real benifit is the removal of the baffles. Hence the reason the OTR intakes....and under hood intakes....and underhood intakes with a separation plate are all making the same power. That air is just being instantly heated by the manifold.

Im just speculating here, but When I find my temp gun I will take some samples of intake temps with the cover off and on.

Of course some asshat wants to argue with me. LOL. He must think heat is an engines friend.
post #9 of 33 Old 07-23-2009, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member

One thing to consider, air has poor heat transfer coefficients. Won't heat up tremendously at velocity due to convection or heat soak, especially if it can suck air from a cooler source rather than the engine bay. I thought the intakes were a plastic or molded non-metallic compound, thus further insulating the intake charge from tremendous heat as compared to an aluminum intake (thermal conductivity value nearly 250 vs. air at about 0.025). Heat soak would make initial startup charge pretty hot, but once cooler, and hopefully outside, air is pulled through, the air charge will cool down considerably.

But the insulated cover definitely isn't helping the engine stay cooler overall. But maybe saving the paint on the hood temps?

It'd be interesting to see the actual temps.

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
post #10 of 33 Old 07-23-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
One thing to consider, air has poor heat transfer coefficients. Won't heat up tremendously at velocity due to convection or heat soak, especially if it can suck air from a cooler source rather than the engine bay. I thought the intakes were a plastic or molded non-metallic compound, thus further insulating the intake charge from tremendous heat as compared to an aluminum intake (thermal conductivity value nearly 250 vs. air at about 0.025). Heat soak would make initial startup charge pretty hot, but once cooler, and hopefully outside, air is pulled through, the air charge will cool down considerably.

But the insulated cover definitely isn't helping the engine stay cooler overall. But maybe saving the paint on the hood temps?

It'd be interesting to see the actual temps.

i think my brain is about 10 lbs to light to enter into this conversation!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page