FBodfather -- Transformers pkg - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 07-24-2009, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

FBodfather -- Transformers pkg

I think most of us are confused as to why a few badges and stitching costs almost $1000

Don't you think they could have at least used the same color as in the movie and done replica stripes, hood, front fascia at least?

Not that all that could cost $1000 or less.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 07-24-2009, 08:11 AM
Supporter of common sense

I would agree, the package seems expensive considering what you get. It would cost more to do those types of things yourself however

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #3 of 35 Old 07-24-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
I would agree, the package seems expensive considering what you get. It would cost more to do those types of things yourself however
I might have to disagree with you. From what I have seen, outside of a Rally Yellow Camaro with balck rally stripes, all I've seen are four Autobot wheel center caps, two Autobot badges on the fenders, and an Autobot logo embroidered on the center console cover. I am most certain you'll see these items popping up on eBay, or in various places; cheap! An embroidery shop with a computerized sewing machine can replicate the logo on anyone's console cover. Just have to take it apart and put it back together. Could probably be done for half to a third of the cost. I feel that GM had to fork over dollars to Hasbro for licensing agreements. Hence, the high cost of the package. I would say if one has to have one, be creative and make your own.

post #4 of 35 Old 07-24-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfighter View Post
I might have to disagree with you. From what I have seen, outside of a Rally Yellow Camaro with balck rally stripes, all I've seen are four Autobot wheel center caps, two Autobot badges on the fenders, and an Autobot logo embroidered on the center console cover. I am most certain you'll see these items popping up on eBay, or in various places; cheap! An embroidery shop with a computerized sewing machine can replicate the logo on anyone's console cover. Just have to take it apart and put it back together. Could probably be done for half to a third of the cost. I feel that GM had to fork over dollars to Hasbro for licensing agreements. Hence, the high cost of the package. I would say if one has to have one, be creative and make your own.
I should have said 'may cost you more' as I have no idea what things like that cost.

Maybe so, but you would still have a copy. The RPO would be missing from your build sheet

post #5 of 35 Old 07-24-2009, 09:48 AM

Don't forget licensing fees that I'm sure Hasbro is getting. Also GM is going to have fewer units to spread fixed costs across, things like machine setup for the badges.

Another thing I don't know is if autobot symbol on the wheels are just snap in caps or something more permanent.

I think overall the price isn't too far out of line when stripes are $500 by themselves if you get them with the car.

Still not a package for me.
post #6 of 35 Old 07-24-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I should have said 'may cost you more' as I have no idea what things like that cost.

Maybe so, but you would still have a copy. The RPO would be missing from your build sheet
That's true. I guess that may be worth something more to a future collector. Although I like the Transformer movies, I wouldn't really want a Transformer Edition Camaro. Just alittle gimmicky for me. I'd say to GM, as they have the Z06 and ZR1 in the Corvette line, give the Camaro line the Z/28. Even in a initial limited production run like they did in 1967. Just make sure it is very distinctive.
post #7 of 35 Old 07-24-2009, 10:17 AM
Banned

I believe it comes with special sill plates too. I think the whole package is cheesy personally. Alot of people will eat it up though, and they'll have a special edition car that's rare sometime in the future, but lets face it...it ain't no 69 COPO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastAl View Post
Another thing I don't know is if autobot symbol on the wheels are just snap in caps or something more permanent.
They have to be snap in, otherwise there would be no way to balance your wheel.
post #8 of 35 Old 07-24-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devryn View Post
I believe it comes with special sill plates too. I think the whole package is cheesy personally. Alot of people will eat it up though, and they'll have a special edition car that's rare sometime in the future, but lets face it...it ain't no 69 COPO.

They have to be snap in, otherwise there would be no way to balance your wheel.
I think this is a well done package considering how subtle it is.

GM has gone overboard on the Corvette GT1 appearance package however - this is one overdone cheesy mess , not to mention the crazy price of $7,840

post #9 of 35 Old 07-24-2009, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

Considering that the package is factory-installed, and regular rally stripes cost around almost half of that price to begin with, we could break it down to around say, $100 bucks for the side emblems, 60 bucks for the wheel caps, 100 bucks for the door sills...you're already past 700 bills. Say another 100 for the embroideried lid, and throw in the licensing fees spread across the number of expected units sold, it's roughly within shooting distance.

It's definitely something you want to have, not anything that is going to put its stamp on history. Of course, they've been doing gimmicks for years. Think "skybird" ,"redbird", "35th anniversary" etc.

It's nothing permanent, so if after a while, it isn't something the owner or subsequent owner wouldn't want, the stuff is easily changed out.

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.

Last edited by el ess X; 07-24-2009 at 11:17 AM.
post #10 of 35 Old 07-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
GM has gone overboard on the Corvette GT1 appearance package however - this is one overdone cheesy mess , not to mention the crazy price of $7,840
Corvette guys will buy anything. When you're that old, what else do you have to do with your money

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page