Camaro, Challenger, & Shelby Shootout - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 07-26-2009, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Camaro, Challenger, & Shelby Shootout

Some have ask me how the three compare, so after putting over 2500 miles on the Camaro, 4000 on the Challenger, & more than 5000 on the Shelby I think itís time I do a write up on the three cars.

2007 Ford Shelby GT 500
Motor- 5.4L 500 HP
Trans- 6 speed manual
Rear- 3.31
Weight- 3785lbs
Fuel Economy- city 15, highway 21
Gas Guzzler Tax- $1,300.00
Price with tax & tags out the door- $49,745.00
All option except Nav system
ľ Mile Time & Speed- 12.13 @ 120 mph

The Shelby all stock handles the poorest of the three cars. They shouldíve used an IRS rear like the Challenger & Camaro did! The car has a lot of road noises and a few squeaks. Now if you hit the gas all you hear is the awesome sound of the supercharger and the road noises disappears.

The interior takes 2nd place in the retro contest. It has a great looking dash with two built in shift lights, one light for best mpg and the other is adjustable for red line shifting. The passenger seat is to low and should be electric, and the back seat is for kids at best. The clutch pedal is hard & feels like you are lifting the car up with the effort it takes to push it in.

Hands down this is the fastest car of the three and the most fun to take drag racing. You definitely want to be in this car at any stop light street race. With the widest rear tires of the three (285/45-18 still to small) it will smoke them up at 45mph.

2008 Dodge Challenger SRT/8
Motor- 6.1L 425 HP
Trans- 5 speed auto
Rear- IRS 3.06
Weight- 4150lbs
Fuel Economy- city 13, highway 18
Gas Guzzler Tax- $2,100.00
Price with tax & tags out the door- $45,009.00
All 3 option (Nav, upgraded tires, & sunroof)
ľ Mile Time & Speed- 13.18 @ 106 mph

To me the Challenger has the best Retro looks, front, back, and side it looks like a 1970 Challenger. It is the biggest of the 3 cars, 10Ē longer then the Shelby, and almost 8Ē longer then the Camaro. As a consequence of it size it drive and feels more like a B body then an E body. On the upside of its size it has a comfortable back seat and a large trunk.

As the largest & heaviest car one would think it would have the widest tires of the three. Not the case as it rolls on 255/45-20 and there not much room left in the wheel well for a wider tire. Brembo brakes on all 4 corners are an upgrade over the Shelby (front only) and they look cool!

This car gets the most attention of the three, partly because of the Hemi orange color and the Retro looks. Its great on the highway as it is quiet, smooth, and relaxing to drive. The Challenger has the best fit, finish, and overall quality of the three. Is that a result of the German engineering on the LX platform? Iím not sure but I do think itís a notch above the Camaro & Shelby.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS/RS
Motor- 6.2L 426 HP
Trans- 6 speed manual
Rear- IRS
Weight- 3900lbs
Fuel Economy- city 16, highway 24
Gas Guzzler Tax- NA
Price with tax & tags out the door- $39,848.00
All option except ground effects
Note Nav system not available
ľ Mile Time & Speed - TBA

Driving the Camaro feels balance, agile and it part of the road. The suspension will let you take most turns with confidences and the Brembo brakes will help you through all others. The car is quiet and smooth with no squeak or road noises. The front seats fit me well and their comfortable, but Iím not sure you could say the same about the back seat.

The interior is nicely done with the most retro looking of the three cars. The top of the door panels have a cool ambient lighting and the steering wheel feels great in your hands. The emergency brake is on the wrong side of the console and the shifter is clunky and long between gears. It also has a 1st to 2nd bypass to 4th if you drive & shift slow that sucks!

For the most part Chevy did a great job with the Camaro and I think it represents the best value of the three. If you break it down price per horse power itís by far the best deal. The Challenger is $105.90 per HP, Shelby $99.49 per HP, and the Camaro $93.54 per HP

Best Motor- (hand built and signed) Shelby GT 500
Best Looking Motor- (no plastic engine cover) Shelby GT 500
Best Trans & clutch- Camaro SS/RS
Best Stereo- Challenger SRT/8
Best Paint- Challenger SRT/8
Best Stripes- Shelby GT 500
Best Trunk- Challenger SRT/8
Best Backseat- Challenger SRT/8
Best Tires & wheels- Shelby GT 500
Best Ride- Challenger SRT/8
Best ľ Mile Time & speed- (12.13 @ 120 mph) Shelby GT 500
Best Handling Camaro SS/RS
Best Braking Camaro SS/RS
Best Retro Interior- Camaro SS/RS
Best Retro Exterior- Challenger SRT/8
Best Emblem Shelby GT 500
Best Overall Quality- Challenger SRT/8
Best Gas Mileages- (only one without gas guzzler tax) Camaro SS/RS
Best Gas Fill Cover- (love the chrome) Challenger SRT/8
Best Hood Challenger SRT/8
Best looking from the front Shelby GT 500
Best looking from the side Camaro SS/RS
Best looking from the back Challenger SRT/8
Best Sounding Stock Exhaust- Challenger SRT/8
Best Sounding motor- (supercharger) Shelby GT 500
Best Engineered Camaro SS/RS
Best Value Camaro SS/RS

Itís hard to pick a winner or my outright favorite of the three. If need a usable backseat the Challenger would be the best car. Or if you had a budget under 40K and need the best MPG the Camaro would be your best choice. But if all you are looking for is a ľ mile racecar the Shelby is the one!
Pat

1'400 HP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 07-26-2009, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Wow very nice stable you have there. They all look fun to drive. Good old American Muscle right there. Nice write up also. Thanks for sharing

2014 2LT/RS with spring edition package. Proud Litho Owner #28.
post #3 of 30 Old 07-26-2009, 08:43 PM

Great write-up. I love all three cars but prefer the camaro. I did look into the GT-500 but the salesman said there was a dealer markup of at least $10k. I ran, not walked off the lot.

post #4 of 30 Old 07-26-2009, 10:58 PM

Excellent!

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
post #5 of 30 Old 07-26-2009, 11:40 PM

Nice review, I like the fact you are a true lover of american muscle
post #6 of 30 Old 07-27-2009, 12:41 AM
Veteran Member

Very nice and honest review. Thank you.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #7 of 30 Old 07-27-2009, 02:45 AM

I like the how each one has its strong point but really the gt-500 is deffiantley a step up in class and Money , giving it props for beign the quckest imo not really diserving.... ya i know im biest for the camaro but its cool how u like them all
post #8 of 30 Old 07-27-2009, 02:10 PM

OMG! What a serious muscle stable you have...**** bro! Nice. I'd love to walk into that friggin garage every morning.
post #9 of 30 Old 07-27-2009, 03:02 PM

Those cars are all beautiful. I enjoyed the write up as well. You are indeed a lucky man.
post #10 of 30 Old 07-27-2009, 03:11 PM

What have you done to the Shelby to get those numbers? nice stable.

The ghosts of girls past , leading up to the 2010 SS .
66 mustang 302 (nom) ,74 455 T/A ,78 T/A
70 Vette, two 87 Grand Nationals, 70 LS6 454 Chevelle (matching #s) 69 GTO Judge
1967 GT500 ( #1160 in the Registry)
69 SS 350 Camaro 68 LS6 Pro-Touring Camaro
74 Pro Street Camaro 68 327 Camaro

Last edited by Hopkinator; 11-23-2009 at 05:51 PM. Reason: wording
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page