Best way to drive the LT2 - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 07-28-2009, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Best way to drive the LT2

I'm ashamed I am asking this. I've been a truck guy for the last 8 years. I haven't had a manual transmission since college (1998)......

I got blown off the line, at a light, yesterday by my wife in her automatic G5(infiniti). Granted her car is fast, but she smoked me.

1st gear in the Camaro has little giddy-up.

I guess my question is, for fast exceleration, do you run 1st gear up to 6000rpm? or do you shift out of it asap?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-28-2009, 12:30 PM

I don't have a Camaro (yet) so I'm not talking from experience with the car, but I can't imagine any way that you'd help your acceleration time by short shifting into 2nd. You want to take advantage of the shorter gear ratio that 1st provides for as long as possible. My recommendation: run it up to red line and shift. You shift into 2nd earlier and you risk getting the engine out of its ideal power band which will just slow you down.

If you're serious about making your car launch better you might consider swapping out the rear end ring and pinion gear for something a little shorter. That should help with your launch quite a bit. Gear sets are usually <$200 and installation anywhere from $350 - $600 depending upon where you go. Just a thought.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Camaro Focus Group Member

^ like he said. run each gear all the way up as close to redline as you can. not sure where redline is on the V6, but i shift just north of 6K on the LS3.

"All alone in my funeral home, playing in blood, there's just got to be something wrong with me" -Slayer-

post #4 of 12 Old 07-28-2009, 04:50 PM
DEW

LLT - 3.6L Direct Injected V6 with Variable Valve Timing

Displacement: 3564cc / 217ci
Bore x Stroke: 3.70" x 3.37" / 94mm x 85.6mm
Block Material: Cast aluminum with cast-in-place iron bore liners
Cylinder Head Material: aluminum
Valvetrain: dual overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder, continuously variable valve timing
Ignition System: electronic individual coil-on-plug; individual cylinder knock control and extended-life platinum-tipped spark plugs
Fuel Delivery: direct high-pressure fuel injection
Compression Ratio: 11.3:1
Horsepower: 300 @ 6400rpm
Torque: 273 @ 5200rpm
Maximum Engine Speed: 7000rpm
Recommended Fuel: Regular Unleaded

2LT - CYBER GRAY METALLIC - BLACK RALLY STRIPES - MANUAL TRANNY - POLISHED 19" WHEELS
post #5 of 12 Old 07-28-2009, 07:46 PM

You should shift no higher than 6000, after that power starts dropping off

post #6 of 12 Old 07-28-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
You should shift no higher than 6000, after that power starts dropping off
The dyno I've seen shows power climbing until around 6,500 with the LLT. http://www.5thgen.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15251

As soon as I get an oil change I plan to get my 2LT/RS to both the dyno and 1/4 mile. It will be interesting to see what the differences are for a manual vs. the auto in that other thread.

I'll make some passes shifting at 6,500 and some at 6,000.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-31-2009, 11:18 PM

If max horsepower is at 6400 RPM, that means you are continuing to make additional power up to that point. I'd look at that RPM as a shift point.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-04-2009, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

I'm starting to worry...my car really has no giddy-up in 1st gear...it's almost embarrassing. Gears 2-5 rock, but 1st is awful. Makes me wish i would have gone with and automatic.

I have added pressure too, because I went with the Rally Yellow and Black Stripes...

At 5000-6000 rpm, I'm lucky to be going 30mph, but it takes 5 sec to get there.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-16-2009, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

I'm still disappointed in the V6 (manuel). It's not a fast car by any stretch. I've been driving the wife's G35 the last 2 weeks to give the camaro a rest, and the G35 smokes the camaro, not even close...depressing. My Tacoma truck was worse on gas, but had more acceleration.

My car looks much nicer though and at least people think it is fast.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-20-2009, 05:04 PM

if you were looking for speed the v8 was the way to go :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page