Need help on deciding trim level... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 07-29-2009, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Need help on deciding trim level...

Hey everyone,

I placed an order a few days ago for a new Camaro. We ended up going with:

Black Camaro - 2LT
Inferno Orange Interior
RS Package
Inferno Orange Stripes
Getting it for supplier pricing...right aound $28.5k

Now i'm having second thoughts about not going with the SS. I want all the comfort features (leather, heated seats, etc..). So it would have to be either this 2LT or a 2SS. We are taking about a $6.5k or so price difference.

I can afford it but it is definitely more then I wanted to pay. The reason why i'm only thinking about it is because i've always had fast cars (400+whp). I don't know what it would be like to go down to something that has 250-260 at the wheels.

I just sold my 2004 BMW M3 that was turbo'd. It put out 440rwhp in pump mode and 550ish in pump/meth mode. Before that I had a 2000 Corvette making 450rwhp and had STi making about 380 to the wheels.

I love everything we have selected about the 2LT...i'm just worried the V6 won't cut it. But then again, I didnt want to spend $34-35k either intially...but I would rather be happy then regret the purchase. The one upside is...I will have 3-4 months before it comes in to save up a little more.

What would you guys do? I'm getting rid of the M3 to save costs since we just had a baby 3 months ago. Getting the 2SS will only save very little...getting the 2LT saves a decent amount more.

Thanks!
Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-29-2009, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member

Really a matter of what you can afford and what's gonna make you happy.

If you think you'll regret NOT getting the SS...than I think it's an easy answer. Sure the LT is cheaper, but if you're not going to be happy with it in the long run...than aren't you just wasting your money? And, if the LT isn't going to be fast enough, you'll end up spending $$ on mods...so you might as well just spend the $$ now and get the SS. (but of coarse you'll probably mod that anyway).

If it is a matter of over extending yourself $$ wise, being that you just had a baby...the LT would be the wise choice.

I bought an SS....personally, the LT would only be the right choice for me if it were my daily driver.

AND...welcome to the site!

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #3 of 20 Old 07-29-2009, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
Really a matter of what you can afford and what's gonna make you happy.

If you think you'll regret NOT getting the SS...than I think it's an easy answer. Sure the LT is cheaper, but if you're not going to be happy with it in the long run...than aren't you just wasting your money? And, if the LT isn't going to be fast enough, you'll end up spending $$ on mods...so you might as well just spend the $$ now and get the SS. (but of coarse you'll probably mod that anyway).

If it is a matter of over extending yourself $$ wise, being that you just had a baby...the LT would be the wise choice.

I bought an SS....personally, the LT would only be the right choice for me if it were my daily driver.

AND...welcome to the site!

Thanks...well the Camaro will be my daily...would that influence your decision into not getting the 2SS still?

post #4 of 20 Old 07-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalsports View Post
Thanks...well the Camaro will be my daily...would that influence your decision into not getting the 2SS still?
If you'd want better MPG out of it...yes. If you don't worry about what you spend on gas...no. My DD is a trailblazer...my Camaro gets better MPG, so I guess it's not that big of a deal.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #5 of 20 Old 07-29-2009, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
If you'd want better MPG out of it...yes. If you don't worry about what you spend on gas...no. My DD is a trailblazer...my Camaro gets better MPG, so I guess it's not that big of a deal.
I dont really care about gas...i'm only about 8 miles from my work.

Its just a tough decision 29k vs 35k. If it were the 1SS price...i'd do it in a heartbeat...but I just have to have all those extras that you only get in the 2LT and 2SS.
post #6 of 20 Old 07-29-2009, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Check with your dealer to see if you qualify for any discounts, like Credit Union member discount, GM Supplier discount, etc. May be able to save you a grand or more that way.

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
post #7 of 20 Old 07-29-2009, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
Check with your dealer to see if you qualify for any discounts, like Credit Union member discount, GM Supplier discount, etc. May be able to save you a grand or more that way.
I actually will be getting the supplier pricing discount...which saves almost a grand off both models. That does save money but the $6.5k price difference between the 2 models still exists
post #8 of 20 Old 07-29-2009, 10:44 AM

It is a hard decision to make ...

I ordered 2lt RS with ground effects...automatic. It will be my daily driver and i communte 100 round trip to work. that is what drove my choice. However I do believe the SS would have much better resale value and of course the status of having an SS. My current ride, 2004 Monte Carlo Intimidator SS Supercharger has less horse power than the v6 camaro and it is plenty snappy for me. The other point of consideration is I really wanted to do an exhaust modification to make it sound really great. so far i am really unimpressed with the v6 results. They all sound very ricer to me. The SS will roar without a problem with some simple modifications. The money that I did not spend on the SS upgrade will go for after market wheels and a couple other things.....Ohhh the drama...decisions decisions.

Foose Legend - MRT V2
post #9 of 20 Old 07-29-2009, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
If you are use to 400+ HP then you need to get the SS. Even though the V-6 is pretty fast i don't think you would be happy with it. Just my thought.

2014 2LT/RS with spring edition package. Proud Litho Owner #28.
post #10 of 20 Old 07-29-2009, 11:21 AM

the V6= cheaper gas (depending on how far you commute to and from work each day) cheaper insurance
the V8= a lot of HP

I chose the V6 because it will be my daily driver (100 miles round trip to work daily) and I just didnt need a 426hp car, 304 is plenty for me

So it just boils down to want you want and what you feel comfortable with money wise

1100: 2/23/09
2000: 8/7/09 (finally)
3000: 8/11/09 (TPW 9/14)
3300: 9/2/09
3400: 9/14/09
3800: 9/22/09 vin 48156 has been born

Last edited by ricku1967; 07-29-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page