Break in - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 07-31-2009, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Break in

How are you guys doing your break in? There has been huge debate on the benefits of hard or soft break ins, Anyone doing a hard break in? Or following the gm guide to the letter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 07-31-2009, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire EMT View Post
How are you guys doing your break in? There has been huge debate on the benefits of hard or soft break ins, Anyone doing a hard break in? Or following the gm guide to the letter?
just drive it the way your going to drive it. ive done that with all my ls powered vehicles with not one hint of trouble. i definately wasnt easy on the 2010 breaking it in and its 100% fine even at the 3500 mile mark. if it breaks it wasnt built right!

2010 M6 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
1972 M6 Camaro SS M6
1993 M6 Camaro Z28 M6 LSX powered
post #3 of 32 Old 07-31-2009, 05:07 AM

I do not know what the GM guide line is for beakin but I am doing a gradual breakin by upping the max RPM by 500 every 200 miles. Right now I am at 6000 and have 1200 miles of the car. The Camaro feels strong , pulls hard and should be ready to redline now but I am trying to keep it slow and steady. Once I get the oil change at 1500 she should be ready to race.

post #4 of 32 Old 07-31-2009, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire EMT View Post
I've been doing my best to behave, but its tough. I think the book says not over 4000 rpm before 1500 miles, I've certainly exceeded that a few times, it also says not to drive at the same rpm range for a distance...kinda hard on the interstate when I travel 200 miles each weekend. I think alot of that is to cover there butts for warranty reasons to try and make people behave. I know when we used to break in race motors, it was a 15-20 minute break in, and the next day we were at the track thrashing them, so my honest guess is drive as you please.

Rodney Updegrave
2011 Chrysler 300C, 1954 Cadillac Coupe De Ville,1949 Pontiac Woodie Wagon,1972 VW Beetle Roadster, 2004 Baja 25 Outlaw
www.fquick.com/rodster56

post #5 of 32 Old 07-31-2009, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member

if you happen to have a automatic then drive it normal and then after a few hundread miles like 300 gradually start to get on the throttle more and more but drive it like you will daily. DONT BABY IT TO MUCH. People who have babied autos up until about 1500miles and then started to get on there cars are now stuck with cars making 0-60 times in like 7secs these cars are smarter than we think they are and learning from day one how to be driven. REMEMBER these cars respond on how they are taught from an early age.....kind of like kids lol

This is another reason why I want to order my car........I wanna be the only one who drives my car.
post #6 of 32 Old 07-31-2009, 08:06 AM

Opinions about break in periods vary as much as opinions about cereal. To me, whether break in periods prove to be bubkuss for newer model cars with the new technology or not, I took it easy on mine for the first 1000 miles. I figure it doesn't cost me anything to be gentle for the first three weeks and it MAY save me thousands later. Well worth the choice to me.

Now that I've cleared 1000 miles and replaced the oil, it's time to drive it like it begs to be driven.

Will I ever know if taking it easy for the first three weeks really made a difference? No, there is really no way to truely determine that. However, it has given me the comfort of mind knowing that I did what I could to hopefully prevent future problems, and that's all you can really hope for. There really is no way to measure what ifs after the fact.

2010 IBM Camaro SS/RS M6, (White Rally and GFX)
2010 Camaro Photo Galleries
post #7 of 32 Old 07-31-2009, 11:03 PM

Looking at how much time, effort, and technology went in to designing the engine, why on earth would you break it in by following the advise of random people on the internet? Wouldn't this be the best time to follow GM's advice? Do you think they just made up their break in procedure or do you think they spelled it out for a reason? I vote to follow GM's procedure.
post #8 of 32 Old 08-01-2009, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
I did a little of both easy and rough (had to show the mustangs whos back) but mostly easy til 1500 miles now its broke in and now i just drive.

2014 2LT/RS with spring edition package. Proud Litho Owner #28.
post #9 of 32 Old 08-01-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaproshop View Post
I did a little of both easy and rough (had to show the mustangs whos back) but mostly easy til 1500 miles now its broke in and now i just drive.

I've only put 300 miles on the car in almost three weeks and it's killing me.
I pulled alongside a POS Mustang at a Red light last week, where my lane was going to end about 300 yards after the light.
I let him go first, and he stuck his arm out the window, acting like "WTF was that?"
I wanted to be able to show him a sign, like "Break in period!!".

You gotta see Jack.
post #10 of 32 Old 08-01-2009, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member

I'm pretty much driving mine normally, just keeping the RPM's down under 4k.

I've always heard the most important thing is NOT to keep it at constant speed/RPM's like using cruise control on the highway for long distances.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page