thinking about buying a camaro 2ss.... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-06-2009, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

thinking about buying a camaro 2ss....

hey yall, new to the forum and hoping to learn a lot about the new ss as much as possible. I currently drive a 2005 pontiac gto 6-speed, and its an awesome car but I think I need to get back into my true car (first three cars were third gens) and since the ls3 is a way better motor than the ls2.... that gives me even more reason to do so!

anyway, ive sat in a 1LT at the dealership and noticed the car is a lot lower and windows a lot smaller than i originally thought. how is this for visibility when driving down the road and in traffic?

ive also read that there were a bunch of cars comming off the line with stupid things wrong with them, ie: trim pieces loose etc. have any of yall had the same issues?

does the new camaro have excessive wheel hop on stock suspension at the track or on hard launches like the gto does?

what car did you own before the ss, and how do you like the ss compared to it?

thanks everyone.... id really appreciate the input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep

Garage
Welcome to from New Jersey i dont know the answer to any of your questions cus i didnt order mine yer

June 2015 MOTM

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time, For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

Welcome to the site. I've had my SS for about a week...and I 'EFFIN LOVE IT.

There are a few former GTO owners here who now have Camaro's...so I'm sure you'll get some comparisons.

As for the visibility...I've gotten use to it already, it's worse looking out the back (like if you're backing up) than the front.

The only issue I have with mine is the dealer installed rally stripes...which are either getting re-done or painted on. YES, there have been some little issues here and there and a few not-so little issues that have been dealt with by GM...but ALL makes/models have some issues, and that's why there's warranties. It's not realistic to expect every Camaro to be 100% perfect. Unfortunately in today's interweb age, some little issues get exaggerated and blown out of proportion.

I have not heard of any issues with wheel-hop. The suspension is not the same as the GTO.

I 'effin love my car (did I say that already?)....that is all.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.

Last edited by POWERFREAK; 08-06-2009 at 11:51 AM.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post

The only issue I have with mine is the dealer installed rally stripes...which are either getting re-done or painted on.
My vote is painted!

IBM RS/SS: Vortech V3 (7.5lbs/boost) Trinity/Dyno Tune/Texas Speed LT w/Magnaflow Comp MGW Shifter/Tint/Heritage Grill/AVIC Z120 Orion Sub & Amp/Bravado Wheels (20 x9.5/11) Just fast enough ... for now!
post #5 of 9 Old 08-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Kills View Post
My vote is painted!
Depends on how much they're gonna charge me...My dealer had a body shop that put them on in the first place...gonna put that option out there and see what they say.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-06-2009, 01:47 PM

The visibility when driving down the road and in traffic is a little challenging at first, but you will get used to it. My rear view is fine. The blind spots from the small rear windows take some getting used to also.

I've had no major issues with my 1SS with 600 miles. I've got a minor knocking sound coming from it sounds like the clutch when pulling away in first gear. Sounds like a loud tick. I'll keep an eye on that.

I owned a 2008 350Z before the Camaro. No comparison in power, the SS engine blows the Z away. I do miss the handling of the Z. It turns on a dime, but that's what it was made for. The SS is a bigger car, so I'll sacrifice handling for the extra power. Does that make me a power junkie?

Last edited by Sarge12R; 08-06-2009 at 02:14 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Camaro Focus Group Member

you definitely get used to the visibility. at first i thought it had some blind spots, but after adjusting my mirrors there are none going down the road. backing out of a parking spot next to a big SUV might be hard cuz the Cpillar is kinda thick. but i don't park anywhere near other cars so i don't have that problem.

we have had had any problems with our Camaro so far.

our 05 GTO had terrible wheelhop. the Camaro has none. it's awesome!!

"All alone in my funeral home, playing in blood, there's just got to be something wrong with me" -Slayer-
post #8 of 9 Old 08-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

Check out this thread...

http://www.5thgen.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16253

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #9 of 9 Old 08-06-2009, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

well i was thinking about making the gto a 700rwhp car with all the drive train and suspension goodies... but maybe a new camaro with an exhaust will be just as nice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page