Roll Cages - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-06-2009, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Roll Cages

Any thoughts? We are all talking about mods. Mine will be heads/cam/long tubes/cai and a tune.

Anyone have thoughts or recommendations. I just seems that this in the one thing that has not really come up.

IBM RS/SS: Vortech V3 (7.5lbs/boost) Trinity/Dyno Tune/Texas Speed LT w/Magnaflow Comp MGW Shifter/Tint/Heritage Grill/AVIC Z120 Orion Sub & Amp/Bravado Wheels (20 x9.5/11) Just fast enough ... for now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member

Aren't roll cages deadly without wearing a helmet? I heard you can smash your head on the bars

post #3 of 9 Old 08-06-2009, 07:31 PM

Probably need more MODS than that before you need a roll cage.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-06-2009, 09:44 PM

All roll cages SHOULD be padded!

blackGT.....have you not seen the times these cars are producing?

11s all day long. Roll cages will be necessary sooner.

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-06-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54inches View Post
All roll cages SHOULD be padded!

blackGT.....have you not seen the times these cars are producing?

11s all day long. Roll cages will be necessary sooner.

With the MODS the OP has listed he won't get down to 11.49's

from what I'm seeing it's taking over 500 RWHP to get there NA

sorry but I don't see that happening with what he has listed.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-06-2009, 11:54 PM

500rwhp is a possibility with what he listed, depends on how extensive the head work is and the lift and duration on the cam. The SS is dynoing around 360rwhp a CAI with a tune is good for about 30rwhp, even though he didn't list it I'm sure if he's going with Long Tubes he'll be doing the rest of the exhaust(Long Tubes would make no sense what so ever without a less restrictive exhaust system) which combined is good for another 40-50rwhp. Which would put him at about 430-440rwhp without the Cam, and Heads. 500rwhp...Very Possible
post #7 of 9 Old 08-07-2009, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

My goal is 500 to the wheels. Long Tubes and after market exhaust just for clarification.

IBM RS/SS: Vortech V3 (7.5lbs/boost) Trinity/Dyno Tune/Texas Speed LT w/Magnaflow Comp MGW Shifter/Tint/Heritage Grill/AVIC Z120 Orion Sub & Amp/Bravado Wheels (20 x9.5/11) Just fast enough ... for now!
post #8 of 9 Old 08-07-2009, 01:59 AM

That's what I figured... Check out this vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtNYBbdlJtA

Manual SS made 470rwhp with Headers, Catted Midpipes, Corsa Cat Back, Cam, Underdrive Pulley, CAI, and a tune.

The only thing he didn't mention is the Underdrive Pulley which accounts for only 3-5hp out of that, and this car has no head work done, 500rwhp should be easily attainable.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-07-2009, 12:41 PM

I think it is better safe than sorry. A bar in a 13s car is probably not necessary, but when I got close to the 11s then I would suggest it. A cage can be quite cumbersome, but so can a casket.

I have found that if you get to know the track tech at your local track and sees that you are going above and beyond the NHRA/IHRA/ISCA/ORSCA rules, then he is probably NOT going to ride you arse about the vwery minute details later down the road.

Our local guys want to see you come back another day and spend some more money and be safe at the same time.

Follow the rules, prepare for the future and be safe.

Can you survive a 135mph roll without a bar or cage and live to talk about, probably, but I don't want to try it!

Good Luck Gino!

I hope we can meet in the future!

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page