My 5th Gen Story - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 08-20-2009, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

My 5th Gen Story

I told Octane via a PM convo, but I think it's a cool story for everyone to hear. I'm not telling it for any reason other than how much my car means to me and why I love it so much.

It all started back on October 5th 2008. I had just got off work and we (all of my friends which also work at the same place) were just sitting outside talking. It was cold that night so we decided to call it a little sooner than normal. My friend needed a ride home so I offered to take him. After dropping him off I took a state route home. It's only 1 lane both ways and the speed limit is 55mph...and that night my life would be changed forever.

A car went left of center hitting me head on. I had zero reaction time whatsoever. I awoke in the wreckage with a firefighter telling me I'd be ok and not to move. I was pinned in the car under the dashboard for over 45min. They had to cut the roof off and pull the car apart in order to get me out. I felt no pain throughout this entire process so I thought I would be fine. Upon getting me out of the car onto a stretcher a paramedic told me they were going to airlift me to University Hospital in Cincinnati...that's when my heart sank. They don't bring helicopters in for nothing. Something had to be seriously wrong.

Jeremy, the firefighter in the back seat telling me I'd be ok.

I ended up with a broken left femur, broken left foot (every bone), and a compound fracture on my right tibia and fibia. One surgery and a blood transfusion later I had titanium rods in both legs and could not walk.

The other car had a driver and 3 passengers all underage. The driver had a cracked rib and one of the passengers had a chipped tooth. The other 2 were completely uninjured.

I was in a rehab hospital for a month and I was in a wheelchair for a total of 2 months. I got on crutches around the end of November and started walking without them in January.

Today I'm pretty much back to normal minus a few insane looking scars on my legs. I'm really lucky to be alive. I got my insurance settlement in July and had my new 2010 Camaro in August. Never in a million years would I have ever dreamed of owning a 5th Gen Camaro. I went through alot to get to this point, but every time I look out the window I'm reminded of all the hard work I had to put into recovering from my accident.

If this is in the wrong forum feel free to move it.

Rally Yellow 2SS/RS
Fifty years from now, when you're looking back at your life, don't you want to be able to say you had the guts to get in the car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 08-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member

WOW...glad you made it through the ordeal. Car accidents are no joke, you don't realize the carnage and your mortality until you're in one.

If you're ever in NY, I'll buy you a Guinness.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #3 of 29 Old 08-20-2009, 03:38 PM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

Still amazes me to see the wreckage pictures. Wow.
An amazing story, you certainly have a positive outlook on life!

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!

post #4 of 29 Old 08-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Glad you are still around and more glad you are driving a new Camaro stay safe.......

2014 2LT/RS with spring edition package. Proud Litho Owner #28.
post #5 of 29 Old 08-20-2009, 04:23 PM
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep

Garage
That was quite the story glad to hear you are doing fine

June 2015 MOTM

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time, For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.
post #6 of 29 Old 08-20-2009, 04:50 PM

Wow, man. I got chills reading that and seeing the pictures. Congrats on fighting back and getting back on your feet again. And congrats on the great new ride, man. I don't envy the route you took to get here, but I do envy your sweet Camaro.
post #7 of 29 Old 08-20-2009, 05:03 PM

Glad to see you made it out of that one in one piece man.

Nice yellow RS btw
post #8 of 29 Old 08-20-2009, 05:56 PM

Wow! That was a riveting testimony. It's good to know that you fought through it, and that you are back to your current state of health. Enjoy life and your Camaro to the fullest!
post #9 of 29 Old 08-20-2009, 06:38 PM

Glad to hear you're ok man. I don't know what they teach in Driver's Ed these days, but it's getting ridiculous. I hate people who don't use blinkers or text or talk on their cell phones while driving (exception bluetooth).

Nice ride, glad you're alive to enjoy it.
post #10 of 29 Old 08-20-2009, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member

Wow, it looks like you are lucky to be living

Current: 00 z28 M6 T-tops
Past: 74 Stingray Vette, 99 Silverado 2500, 01 SS A4 T-tops, 95 z28 A4 T-tops, 96 v6 A4 T-tops (project), 97 v6 A4
RIP: 95 z28 M6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page