I'm conflicted... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 08-28-2009, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Question I'm conflicted...

Well, I've been keeping abreast of the happenings-on at GM since the bankruptcy, and it sounds like they're taking baby steps in the right direction. That obviously is a good thing, I don't know why it couldn't be done sooner, but better late than never, I suppose. I could point to GM's plan of refreshing the Camaro in 2014 as something that gives me a little hope that they're in it to stay.

But now I'm conflicted. I'm starting to believe in GM again, and I've been going to the local Chevy dealerships, sitting in the Camaros in the showroom, and the interior is growing on me. The blind spot at the C-pillars must be designed to kill people (the backup assist that I keep hearing about should be standard equipment), the steering wheel needs work (the 2010 Mustang's steering wheel is better), and it really, really needs a proper nav system, but the seats are nice, the controls are well-laid out, and the stereo sounds good. I'd give it a out of .

But here's the thing. I might have the job and the funds to buy a new car next year, and next year, Ford's going to offer a Mustang their new 5.0-liter "Coyote" motor that should pump out about 400 horsepower. Combine that with the Mustang's lower curb weight, and it should go toe-to-toe with the Camaro. Competition is good, I guess, but I'm going back and forth now. Mustang, Camaro, Mustang, Camaro... which one? I know that you guys are biased towards the Bow Tie Brigade, but I'd like a little guidance.

In the meantime, one of my most anticipated video games, Forza Motorsport 3, is going to have the 2010 Camaro, so I can fiddle around with a virtual version of the car while I reach for my goals...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-28-2009, 09:35 PM

Hi, And welcome. I will try not to sound too biased.
$ 4 $ you get more for your money when buying the Camaro vs the Stang.....currently it is several 1000 less for the same amount of HP.
Dollar wise the Camaro is less expensive per HP. Hopefully that will sound about right

needs no explanation

VIN#A9148288
IN MY HANDS 10-7-2009!!!
post #3 of 23 Old 08-28-2009, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by louperrault View Post
Hi, And welcome. I will try not to sound too biased.
$ 4 $ you get more for your money when buying the Camaro vs the Stang.....currently it is several 1000 less for the same amount of HP.
Dollar wise the Camaro is less expensive per HP. Hopefully that will sound about right
Yeah, I know, but that's probably going to change when the Mustang gets its new motor. I'm just torn. I'm going to my Latemodel Restoration Supply wishlist, deleting my Mustang items and putting in Camaro items, deleting the Camaro items and putting in Mustang items, and so on and so on.

It's going to be a pain when I finally have to choose.

post #4 of 23 Old 08-28-2009, 09:56 PM

hopefully the camaro will shed some pounds by next year(which i doubt) and the mustang will gain some
post #5 of 23 Old 08-28-2009, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdcod3player View Post
hopefully the camaro will shed some pounds by next year(which i doubt) and the mustang will gain some
Well, Corsa claims that their exhaust weighs about 14 pounds less than the stock exhaust. That's a start.
post #6 of 23 Old 08-28-2009, 10:05 PM

After reading your posts, it seems that it may simply come down to a coin toss. As it stands today, the Camaro is here "in the flesh", and the Mustang with the new engine isn't. Even with the new engine and the current "track-pak", will the Mustang match the performance of the current Camaro SS? Heck, the currrent Camaro SS gives the Mustang GT500 a run for it's money, and you're saving between $10-15,000. That's a lot of money for mods that'll make the Camaro run circles around the GT500.

It is my opinion that the Camaro offers a sound foundation for building the car of your dreams and desires. Next time you're at one of your local dealers, take it out for a test drive. You'll be hooked for sure!
post #7 of 23 Old 08-28-2009, 10:12 PM
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep

Garage
Get a Its the right thing to do

June 2015 MOTM

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time, For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.
post #8 of 23 Old 08-28-2009, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfighter View Post
After reading your posts, it seems that it may simply come down to a coin toss. As it stands today, the Camaro is here "in the flesh", and the Mustang with the new engine isn't. Even with the new engine and the current "track-pak", will the Mustang match the performance of the current Camaro SS? Heck, the currrent Camaro SS gives the Mustang GT500 a run for it's money, and you're saving between $10-15,000. That's a lot of money for mods that'll make the Camaro run circles around the GT500.

It is my opinion that the Camaro offers a sound foundation for building the car of your dreams and desires. Next time you're at one of your local dealers, take it out for a test drive. You'll be hooked for sure!
It'll be tough, but I'll see if I can find a dealer that can let me try one. I've already tried a 2010 V6 Mustang, and it was good. I'll see about the Camaro...
post #9 of 23 Old 08-28-2009, 10:30 PM

Yeah, I know. A lot of dealers are treating them as if they're precious gold, and not letting many people test drive them. I just tell them, "Who buys a car without test driving it?" Plus, deep down salesmen want to take one out anyway. If it's not a pre-ordered one, you should have no problem. If you thought the V6 Mustang was good, just wait! I swear you might buy it on the spot! Happy hunting!
post #10 of 23 Old 08-29-2009, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfighter View Post

I still stand by my belief that the Mustang with the new engine will gain a good bit of weight to go with the upgrade.

Still legal in 16 states. It's happy. It's fun. It's Happy Fun Car.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page