Can the console part around the shifter be replaced (Need Help with Pic) - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-29-2009, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
DCJ

Garage
Exclamation Can the section around the shifter be replaced (Need Help with part number) Pics

My wife got a huge scratch below the shifter in her Camaro. Here is a picture of the part of the console or middle section that I would like to replace for her (this is not the picture of the scratch but just a picture of the section that she wants replaced). Can this piece be replaced or is this a separate section. Is it possible to just replace this area only? Does anyone know if there is a part number or how this section would be removed? I tried to doctor it up for her but she would just rather it be replaced. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2011 2SS RS SIM

Last edited by DCJ; 08-29-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-29-2009, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
DCJ

Garage
Update....

Here are some pictures. I decided to try and remove it and it appears to be one entire piece with the clusters attached as well. Looks like I can unplug it all and then drop a new piece in and plug it all back in. Now I just need to try and get a price on the piece and also find out if there would be any problems with the car computer recognizing a new cluster piece. I would think that the car would automaically recognize it once plugged back into the new piece and function as if there was never a swap out.

Any tech guys out there and does that sound correct?

2011 2SS RS SIM
post #3 of 11 Old 08-29-2009, 10:39 PM

It is my guess that the gauges should separate from the panel. In a thread for the Pedders Camaro build up, they removed that very piece, separated the gauges from it and painted it to match the exterior color of the car. I am unsure if GM offers it separately, but I would assume that they would. Knowing that this car is still in it's first production run, I would say it may take a while to get it. I don't think that disconnecting the gauges should affect the computer. I wish you luck! In the meantime, try to talk into letting you paint it SIM to match the exterior, until the new part arrives. Worth a try.

Ooh! Better yet, search around and get her a carbon fiber panel instead. It could be your first modification!

Last edited by Lightfighter; 08-29-2009 at 10:43 PM.

post #4 of 11 Old 08-30-2009, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
DCJ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfighter View Post
It is my guess that the gauges should separate from the panel. In a thread for the Pedders Camaro build up, they removed that very piece, separated the gauges from it and painted it to match the exterior color of the car. I am unsure if GM offers it separately, but I would assume that they would. Knowing that this car is still in it's first production run, I would say it may take a while to get it. I don't think that disconnecting the gauges should affect the computer. I wish you luck! In the meantime, try to talk into letting you paint it SIM to match the exterior, until the new part arrives. Worth a try.

Ooh! Better yet, search around and get her a carbon fiber panel instead. It could be your first modification!
I just looked their thread up and found what you were talking about. I wonder how they got them separated. I have my piece pulled up but have not taken it off yet. That would be great if they could be easily separated and the part could be ordered separate. Here are the pics I think you were referring to, correct? Does anyone know how these are attached or how the cluster is held on to the piece. I can't seem to find a place or clip that is holding the cluster to the piece...

Photos credited to Pedders I think but cropped them down to show the pieces separated.

Gauge Cluster appears to be separated from the piece...

Entire piece with cluster....

2011 2SS RS SIM
post #5 of 11 Old 08-30-2009, 12:16 AM

The shifter area is PRONE to SCRATCHES , I had the same problem but i doctrine it up with an Emblem that covered the scratches..
You got to be careful when wearing a watch or any kind of jewelry.
Also be careful when wearing a long sleeve shirt or a jacket that might have buttons or snaps on them because that may also scratch that area too.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-30-2009, 02:33 AM

I would think your cars ecm computer would not even know the gage assembly was unplugged so long as you do not start the car with it unplugged.

This is my best guess.

If you do decide to replace the oem part with another one... let me know the price or offer to sell me your scratched part I PM'd you.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-30-2009, 02:57 AM

should have no issues replacing it. took mine out to hardwire in my v1 to the cig lighter hot side. unplugged it installed my wire tap put cluster back in. no problems at all.

2010 M6 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
1972 M6 Camaro SS M6
1993 M6 Camaro Z28 M6 LSX powered
post #8 of 11 Old 08-30-2009, 06:46 AM

There was one more photo a little further down showing the panel, after it was painted, on a shop table. Once you get your assembly out of the car, you'll be able to flip it over and see how the guages attach to the panel. Good luck. Keep us updated.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-30-2009, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
DCJ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfighter View Post
There was one more photo a little further down showing the panel, after it was painted, on a shop table. Once you get your assembly out of the car, you'll be able to flip it over and see how the guages attach to the panel. Good luck. Keep us updated.
Thanks! I have not pulled it all the way out yet but was able to flip it a bit and the gauges are held on by a couple of screws. Would just have to unplug everything to unscrew them. Now I just hope Dave Hiller over Parts at Newman Chev can get me the trim piece only. At first I was thinking it was one entire unit but they do separate, so I hope I do not have to buy the gauges too to get the surrounding trim piece...

2011 2SS RS SIM

Last edited by DCJ; 08-30-2009 at 08:11 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-30-2009, 07:20 PM

Good luck! I hope it works out for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page