Just Heard About the Fuse Pull Today - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 83 Old 09-03-2009, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Just Heard About the Fuse Pull Today

Got an email today linking to a thread on a different forum regarding the possibility that L99 cars that are filled with 87 octane gas for the initial fill up may not be able to recalibrate themselves to higher octane gas.
It appears to direct you to removing and reinstalling two fuses, and there are numerous people that have tried this and swear by it.
Since I really have no idea what gas went into my tank, and even though my sales manager was extremely great, I don't really see a payoff in asking him what went in the car originally.

With 810 miles on my car, I'm very happy with the 0-60 acceleration.
However, I'm not happy with the response when I'm going 20-25 and I punch it.
There is a lag that I don't like.
Anyone have any thoughts on what GM should do about this as far as a permanent fix? I see posts about it possibly being a faulty knock sensor.
Has anyone else tried the fuse reinstall?

You gotta see Jack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 Old 09-03-2009, 08:04 PM

That big lag is called a factory automatic transmission. Better airflow and exhaust, along with a tune will get rid of most of that though.
post #3 of 83 Old 09-03-2009, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estes View Post
That big lag is called a factory automatic transmission.

Never had anything close to this kind of lag in my stock 4th gen with an automatic.
Immediate response, and powerful.
Took a shift kit to do that to my 3rd gen with a stock 305 tho.

You gotta see Jack.

post #4 of 83 Old 09-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member

YUP...I've read those thread. A LOT of A6 owners reported that this helped. It's got nothing to do with the trans...the way it's geared, it should jump off the line.

It certainly can't hurt anything...worth a try...pull the #5 and #20 fuses from the engine compartment fuse box. Let it sit overnight...replace fuses and drive it like you stole it. (also helps if you run super unleaded and not the crap your dealer probably put in).

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #5 of 83 Old 09-03-2009, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Just hit your post on page 15 of that thread...

I'll try it this weekend. I wouldn't say I was disappointed, because I've really felt all along I was in "break in".
I am convinced though I got a tank of 87, and I'm excited that maybe the car will be even better.

You gotta see Jack.
post #6 of 83 Old 09-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourth Camaro View Post
Just hit your post on page 15 of that thread...

I'll try it this weekend. I wouldn't say I was disappointed, because I've really felt all along I was in "break in".
I am convinced though I got a tank of 87, and I'm excited that maybe the car will be even better.

Yeah...it's unfortunate this has happened, but the results are well-documented, so hopefully it'll help you. If not, if it were my car, I'd be getting it tuned (which can make the A6 sooooo much better anyway).

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #7 of 83 Old 09-03-2009, 08:56 PM

It's called the l99, totally different bird.

Do some searching.

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
post #8 of 83 Old 09-03-2009, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks PF.

Here's one of the most glowing reports I saw....

"Ok, I am here to report the results of my 5/20 fuse yank over night.

WOWSERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Before with my L99, no wheel spin with TC on....and good acceleration. Now, a good hard chirp off the line, and a mild chirp hitting second....and balls to the wall improvement right thru 110 mph, when I had to back off.

Then, I took the T/C off...and had MONDO rubber burns....LOL, that could get expensive.....but wow what a difference, particularly right at the launch. Much more responsive and authoritative shifts.....I am impressed.

Car has only 550 miles...so she is still breaking in obviously.

For ME, this was a grand slam, thanks guys!"

You gotta see Jack.
post #9 of 83 Old 09-03-2009, 09:00 PM

Awesome news!!!!!!

How did they figure it out?

Would unhooking the battery do the same thing?

What are 5 and 20 fuses? Er what do they go to?

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
post #10 of 83 Old 09-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
YUP...I've read those thread. A LOT of A6 owners reported that this helped. It's got nothing to do with the trans...the way it's geared, it should jump off the line.

It certainly can't hurt anything...worth a try...pull the #5 and #20 fuses from the engine compartment fuse box. Let it sit overnight...replace fuses and drive it like you stole it. (also helps if you run super unleaded and not the crap your dealer probably put in).
dumb question but you put back the same fuse that came out right? My car feels crazy fast but shes not burning them up off the line but im not really trying due to the fact she has 89 miles on it, so basically run all the gas out of her and put in the good stuff which all my cars except the saturn get pull the fuses sit overnight and im good to go right

Last edited by mucker15; 09-03-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page