Road & Track Editor loves the Mustang - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-06-2009, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Road & Track Editor loves the Mustang

In an article in this months Road & Track, one presumes we're about to get a fair comparison between the 3 muscle cars, however since the editor at large is the guy driving the Mustang, the other guys' opinions are drowned out by praise for the Mustang. Well that's just me, you decide: http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=8313

I actually took the time to read the entire thing at the newstand and what's clear to me is that the bulk of criticism of the Camaro came from the R&T editor who drove the Mustang.

Still legal in 16 states. It's happy. It's fun. It's Happy Fun Car.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-06-2009, 01:59 PM

Not surprising that a Mustang owner would favor that car.
You can tell he's trying deflect any ideas that his opinion might be biased, but he's clearly biased.
Couple of thoughts. I can't believe how close I may have come to buying a Challenger. I'm so happy now I didn't really enjoy the test drive last fall.

Second. The looks of the Camaro again getting knocked in that essay.
I still hear people online in other forums say they don't like that it doesn't look exactly like the concept car.
Yesterday, almost everyone that saw my 1SS freaked out. Adults. Kids. Everybody.
One group of three guys rolled alongside me, and the guy in the passenger seat said very loud. F******..... AWESOME....... CAR!!!
Just like that, hesitating between words.

No, I don't think he stuttered.

You gotta see Jack.

Last edited by Fourth Camaro; 09-06-2009 at 02:02 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member

It's no surprise that rag hacks will always push their own agendas and favorite makes/models. This has been the case since guy1 wrote the first article in magazinex, then guy2 wrote his view slanted to his personal choice.

I go based on the current facts that I see in my own personal experience. When I'm driving down the highway, and I see a car pull up next to me and the occupants are taking pictures of my car on their cell phones, that tells me something. When I walk out of the store and head to my car that is currently being checked out by 2 or 3 or 5 people, and they start asking me questions about the car when I get there, that tells me something. I also know something is different about this car when I'm putting gas in the car, waxing it in my driveway, going through a drive through, or getting any kind of work done on it, people just can't stay more than 5 feet away, they always want to see inside, and they always have questions about the cars numbers. I always make a judgement call about the people to determine if I'm about to get jacked, then when I see it's relatively safe, I answer their questions and talk to them about my Camaro. I don't know about you, but I can't remember the last time I saw anyone hanging out around a 2010 mustang, GT, GT500, or any other model of that car or any other make/model in the Camaros class to do the same thing. (I did see a guy walk up to and check out a Challenger in the parking lot att work, but I attributed that to an attempted break-in )

I leave the articles to the people that write them, and to their level of subjectivity. You'll always have those that make constant sways to their "brand", but you also have those who try to be very objective in their assessment and still come up with the "other" car coming out on top.

2SS/RS, CGM, A6, Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger
My latest dyno: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjrLR0N12B4

post #4 of 11 Old 09-06-2009, 11:02 PM

I would have to say that I don't put much stock into magazine comparisons. The major publications (Motor Trend, Car & Driver, Road & Track, Automobile, and AutoWeek) all have their "target" readership, and they cater to them. They also tend to ignore the objective data and testing perameters, and go totally subjective. I just take it for what it's worth. For me, it's "just the facts, please!"

I can recall when the new generation Mustang came out in 2005, it enjoyed similar public reaction. The new Camaro is enjoying the same thing on an amplified level due to it's "seven-model-year-hiatis". It's great that GM gave it such neck-twisting, jaw-dropping, eye-popping styling and performance to boot! In six years, when there are close to three-quarters of a million or more on the street, we'll have to see if the public's reaction is still this strong. Mustangs are okay, they just were lucky to enjoy 45 years of continuous production.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-06-2009, 11:39 PM
Veteran Member

Camaro Taillights need fixed, Then I'd Buy it.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-07-2009, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_Adam View Post
Camaro Taillights need fixed, Then I'd Buy it.
COME TO BIG ROUND CAVE PAST BIG TREE, 3 DAY WALK FROM TWISTY RIVER, 1 HOUR RUN FROM BEAR FAMILY. WE FIX TAILLIGHTS GOOD!

post #7 of 11 Old 09-07-2009, 09:26 AM

I went to the local dirt track to see some mud get thrown around and took the Camaro and parked it sideways so I would not get any door dings. While inside a Charger had to park next to me which I didn't mind. I came out during a break in the race and had all kinds of people stop to look and talk. I had wiped the car down before I went into the race and noticed when I came back out the side windows where all smudged. Then I realized people where putting their faces against the glass to see in (windows tinted) but not smudges on the other car. I wonder why .
post #8 of 11 Old 09-07-2009, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGreenTX View Post
I went to the local dirt track to see some mud get thrown around and took the Camaro and parked it sideways so I would not get any door dings. While inside a Charger had to park next to me which I didn't mind. I came out during a break in the race and had all kinds of people stop to look and talk. I had wiped the car down before I went into the race and noticed when I came back out the side windows where all smudged. Then I realized people where putting their faces against the glass to see in (windows tinted) but not smudges on the other car. I wonder why .
I don't know, but MotorTrend ranked the Camaro as the car: (a) least fun to drive, (b) with poorest ergonomic design and (c) with the least comfortable seats of the 10 cars they "tested" in their October issue. What's worse is I wasted $5 on that rag to read that opinionated dross.

post #9 of 11 Old 09-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weland View Post
I don't know, but MotorTrend ranked the Camaro as the car: (a) least fun to drive, (b) with poorest ergonomic design and (c) with the least comfortable seats of the 10 cars they "tested" in their October issue. What's worse is I wasted $5 on that rag to read that opinionated dross.
And I went to the grocery store today to buy a bunch of meat for my week off of work to do some serious cooking. I parked out in no-mans land and came back to nose prints on the drivers side window.......

2SS/RS, CGM, A6, Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger
My latest dyno: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjrLR0N12B4
post #10 of 11 Old 09-07-2009, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weland View Post
COME TO BIG ROUND CAVE PAST BIG TREE, 3 DAY WALK FROM TWISTY RIVER, 1 HOUR RUN FROM BEAR FAMILY. WE FIX TAILLIGHTS GOOD!
WTF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page