Steering Wheel off center from factory...Advice Please - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-06-2009, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
DCJ

Garage
Steering Wheel off center from factory...Advice Please

When I picked up my car last month, I noticed that my steering wheel was a little off or cocked to the right of center (it did not pull left or right so it was perfectly in line). I mentioned it and they said no problem and to bring it in to have it centered. I did this last week. When I picked it up, it now is ever so slighly off to the left but not near as bad as it was when it was off to the right from the factory. Again it is still perfectly in line and does not pull. I called back and said now it is slightly off to the left but not near as bad.

Here is where I was hoping to get some advice from people and hopfully some expert Techs that maybe out there. The service department told me that it falls within specs and that the way it is now, is pretty much as close to perfect as possible since it lies within specs. He says that if he tweeks is more that it possibly could cock back to the right a bit. I understand that it now falls within specs and an acceptable range. Would you guys demand that it be looked at again or just let it go? It is very very slight but my wife's V6 is dead on perfectly centered. I know some car steering wheels are slightly off a bit and nothing is perfect but I wonder technically speaking was he telling me the truth in regard to tweeking again and possibly making it worse. Basically it sounded like he was telling me that they got it close to center as possible. When one spends near 40K, you can't help but want it to be right. I hate to be to picky as it is very slight now but to me noticable. To someone else it may not be so I was wanting to see what others would do in this situation.

Lastly, would all Chevy Dealer Service Departments perform warranty work/issues even though the car was not purchased at their dealership? I thought about taking it to another dealer if so.

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Much appreciated

2011 2SS RS SIM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-07-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJ View Post
When I picked up my car last month, I noticed that my steering wheel was a little off or cocked to the right of center (it did not pull left or right so it was perfectly in line). I mentioned it and they said no problem and to bring it in to have it centered. I did this last week. When I picked it up, it now is ever so slighly off to the left but not near as bad as it was when it was off to the right from the factory. Again it is still perfectly in line and does not pull. I called back and said now it is slightly off to the left but not near as bad.

Here is where I was hoping to get some advice from people and hopfully some expert Techs that maybe out there. The service department told me that it falls within specs and that the way it is now, is pretty much as close to perfect as possible since it lies within specs. He says that if he tweeks is more that it possibly could cock back to the right a bit. I understand that it now falls within specs and an acceptable range. Would you guys demand that it be looked at again or just let it go? It is very very slight but my wife's V6 is dead on perfectly centered. I know some car steering wheels are slightly off a bit and nothing is perfect but I wonder technically speaking was he telling me the truth in regard to tweeking again and possibly making it worse. Basically it sounded like he was telling me that they got it close to center as possible. When one spends near 40K, you can't help but want it to be right. I hate to be to picky as it is very slight now but to me noticable. To someone else it may not be so I was wanting to see what others would do in this situation.

Lastly, would all Chevy Dealer Service Departments perform warranty work/issues even though the car was not purchased at their dealership? I thought about taking it to another dealer if so.

Much appreciated
I had the exact same issue and the exact same result (much better but not perfect). I say let it go. Sooner or later you're going to need an alignment- everyone does- have them tweak it more then. In response to your other question, ANY Chevrolet dealer can/will perform warranty work on your vehicle- around the corner, next county, next state, or across the country.

RJT 2SS/RS roared to life March 16th, 2009
VIN 2G1FT1EW6A9100074
ARRIVED 5/13 day 58 Safely at home-> 5/19

"A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away." - Barry Goldwater
post #3 of 14 Old 09-07-2009, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

crowned road

'Winning'

post #4 of 14 Old 09-07-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:

Much appreciated
If it bothers you, do something about it.
I would say you need to talk to an independent alignment tech.
Tell him that GM is telling you that the wheel is within specs, and ask him what it will take to make it the way you want it to be.
See what he says, and then if you need to take it above the dealership level, do it. He may tell you just what the dealer did.
It would bother me too.

You gotta see Jack.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-07-2009, 09:36 AM

I would just add that the dealership should go above and beyond in your case. You purchased both of your Camaros from them, and they should faithfully stand behind that by providing outstanding service. An off-center sterring wheel would bother me too, especailly in a brand new car. I could tolerate it more in a beaten-used car, but not new. That would rank up their with a portrait on a wall that's crooked. Have a second opinion done, work with the dealer, and escalate to a higher level, if needed. Keep any receipts and submit them to get reimbursed. Good luck!
post #6 of 14 Old 09-07-2009, 09:40 AM

Sounds like they rushed the fix a bit. Make them do it again? Depends on how much you want to push them on it. It's clearly possible to get the wheel perfectly centered, but the person doing it--who's probably not being paid to do it--can't rush the job.

TrueDelta.com
Vehicle reliability, fuel economy, and price comparison information
post #7 of 14 Old 09-07-2009, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
DCJ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfighter View Post
I would just add that the dealership should go above and beyond in your case. You purchased both of your Camaros from them, and they should faithfully stand behind that by providing outstanding service. An off-center sterring wheel would bother me too, especailly in a brand new car. I could tolerate it more in a beaten-used car, but not new. That would rank up their with a portrait on a wall that's crooked. Have a second opinion done, work with the dealer, and escalate to a higher level, if needed. Keep any receipts and submit them to get reimbursed. Good luck!
That is the shame of it....bought both Camaros there and referred 2 others to them to total 4 Camaros from me overall. This is why dealerships have a stereotype....don't get me wrong as there are some good ones out there BUT VERY FEW.

I can take it back there, but now I am not sure I want them messing with it since they think it is right. The service guy I know there said that I could bring it back and get the manager involved, which I probably will. Just pathetic they have had it twice and cannot get it right. I did speak directly to the alignment guy and he was the one saying it fail within specs but still maybe slightly off.

I probably could have gotten that dealership a couple more sales on top of the 4 Camaros I got them. All they told me was thanks and of course sold at MSRP. They did not even offer a free oil change. I am not greedy my no means, but in this case I did deserve something for giving them 4 Camaro sales.

I built my business off of referrals and know how important customers that refer business can be. I just can't understand all the greed. I am going to call the Owner and also write him a letter to let him know what I gave to them(4 Camaros in 2 months) and what he will miss now. Sorry had to vent...

2011 2SS RS SIM

Last edited by DCJ; 09-07-2009 at 11:59 AM.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-07-2009, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
DCJ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoomxz View Post
crowned road

I don't think that is what it is although I am sure that contributes....my wife's Camaro is perfect. My wife's Camaro just help confirm that what I was seeing in mine was accurate.

2011 2SS RS SIM
post #9 of 14 Old 09-07-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:

Much appreciated
Had the exact same issue. Went to the closest dealer. (which was not the one I purchased my Camaro from) Was treated perfect, and was out the door in 30 Min with the problem corrected.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-07-2009, 01:07 PM

That's sad when you get treated better by a dealer that didn't sell the car to you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page