GM Canada & CAW want to build it - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-18-2006, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

GM Canada & CAW want to build it

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...Story/Business
GM Canada revved up over Camaro

Unit head and CAW want to get muscle car back here

GREG KEENAN
AUTO INDUSTRY REPORTER

TORONTO -- The Chevrolet Camaro may again roar out of a General Motors Corp. plant in Canada, if Michael Grimaldi has his way.

"We're seriously looking at: can we bring that here to Canada," Mr. Grimaldi, president of General Motors of Canada Ltd., said.

He cautioned that GM's board has not even approved the return of the muscle car to production, let alone where it would be assembled, but the concept version that the auto maker introduced last month in Detroit has won rave reviews.

A red Camaro is on display at the Canadian International Auto Show in Toronto, which opens to the public today.

aPs="boxR";var boxRAC = fnTdo('a'+'ai',300,250,ai,'j',nc);
GM needs to determine first if it makes sense to build the car, Mr. Grimaldi said in an interview at the show.

"In order to earn that product here for Canada, I along with all of my stakeholders -- the CAW, potentially the government -- we've got to figure out, how do we make the Canadian operations for GM the best place to potentially build that new vehicle," he said.

The Camaro went out of production in 2002 along with its Pontiac twin, the Firebird, which led to the closing of GM's plant in Ste-Th?r?se, Que. The muscle machines became a victim of rising gasoline prices and soaring insurance costs.

Canadian Auto Workers union president Buzz Hargrove thinks that means GM has a moral obligation to assemble the car in Canada if it gets resurrected.

Mr. Hargrove has put that case to Mr. Grimaldi since GM unveiled the Camaro in Detroit.

"If they do make the decision to build I think that we've convinced [Mr. Grimaldi] that he should be joining us with the argument it should be built in Canada," Mr. Hargrove said yesterday.

The CAW leader is looking for a way to save GM's Oshawa, Ont., No. 2 car assembly plant, which the auto maker earmarked for closing in 2008 as part of a restructuring plan announced in November that includes job cuts and permanent plant shutdowns.

"I'd prefer to save Oshawa 2 with another product and get [Camaro] in addition to that," he said.

Industry sources aren't sure which GM platform will provide the basic underbody for the car, which makes it hard to identify where it might be built.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-18-2006, 09:39 AM

i say keep it in the US. canada's large cost of running the plants didn't help anything the first time around, what do they expect a second time?
post #3 of 8 Old 02-18-2006, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

I agree.

post #4 of 8 Old 02-18-2006, 01:10 PM

The muscle machines became a victim of rising gasoline prices and soaring insurance costs.

WTF? 4th gens are not gas guzzlers. no marketing made a case for killin it, and politics did. screw canada. altough if it makes it cheaper, might be a good thing
post #5 of 8 Old 02-18-2006, 01:55 PM

Hell mine should have been a gas guzzler. 215-220 on a tank.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-19-2006, 03:10 PM

Quote:
The muscle machines became a victim of rising gasoline prices and soaring insurance costs.
I love how the press attempts to insult our intelligence with statements like that. The F bodies didn't die due to rising gas prices or insurance costs - they died, ultimately, because GM gave up on them - among (many) other reasons. Perhaps they had their reasons at the time, but that's the bottom line.

And I hope GM keeps the Camaro out of Canada this time - seems like that was what partly got the F body in trouble last time around. Keep it here in America, let them have the Buick Lucerne and LaCrosse.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-19-2006, 07:49 PM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

I'll be happy period no matter where it's built.
But I'll be happier if it's built in USA.

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
post #8 of 8 Old 08-09-2006, 07:58 PM

theres no diff between canada and the usa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page