Lutz: No Firebird - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-19-2006, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Lutz: No Firebird

http://autos.canada.com/news/story.h...5-bf84c49c9d21

----
And there would be no -- repeat, no -- Pontiac version of the sporty two-door, Lutz said.

That kind of badge engineering "is what got us in trouble in the first place," he said of GM's woes during an interview at the show.

GM, Lutz said, suffers from "too many years of doing cars and trucks that were OK. We don't do that anymore. We do beyond OK."

For instance, he said, look back at how GM bean-counters and product engineers mismanaged the original Camaro into well-deserved oblivion.
"We got too far away from the original role of the car. It became too streamlined. The passenger compartment became too compromised. It became too expensive. It became too heavy. It became a car that just lost its way -- the same as the Ford Mustang did for awhile.

"There was a time when all of the original pony cars got bigger and bigger and heavier and heavier and more and more expensive and suddenly nobody could afford them anymore."
----
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-19-2006, 10:50 AM

bastards. thats all i have to say.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-19-2006, 11:49 AM

bastards, but i do agree with 90% of what he says with the badge engineering and the heavy and expensive. maybe this will mean the camaro will be reasonably priced. and maybe an aftermarket company will make a kit to make a T/A, like one of the photochops

post #4 of 11 Old 02-19-2006, 12:03 PM

Right on. I completely agree; a Firebird would be a bad idea. Insanity is continuing to do what you've always done and expecting the results to be different.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-19-2006, 02:57 PM

... but GM has no problem doing a Pontiac version of the Cobalt...
post #6 of 11 Old 02-19-2006, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee
... but GM has no problem doing a Pontiac version of the Cobalt...
saturn ION maybe a saturn version of the camaro. since they did the cobalt and the solstice
post #7 of 11 Old 02-19-2006, 06:36 PM
Mid
Super Moderator

I didnt really expect them to even think about a firebird. Too much of GM's time and money would've been spent on that. I agree with Lutz though. I'd rather have just a camaro, and let it be successful, and help pull GM out of the hole. You gotta focus on one thing at a time. I really look forward to the Camaro coming out soon.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-19-2006, 07:52 PM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

I'm sad that Firebird won't be returning, but I understand the reasons.

Gotta agree with what Luts is saying here!

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
post #9 of 11 Old 02-19-2006, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 96 WS6
http://autos.canada.com/news/story.h...5-bf84c49c9d21

----
And there would be no -- repeat, no -- Pontiac version of the sporty two-door, Lutz said.

That kind of badge engineering "is what got us in trouble in the first place," he said of GM's woes during an interview at the show.

GM, Lutz said, suffers from "too many years of doing cars and trucks that were OK. We don't do that anymore. We do beyond OK."

For instance, he said, look back at how GM bean-counters and product engineers mismanaged the original Camaro into well-deserved oblivion.
"We got too far away from the original role of the car. It became too streamlined. The passenger compartment became too compromised. It became too expensive. It became too heavy. It became a car that just lost its way -- the same as the Ford Mustang did for awhile.

"There was a time when all of the original pony cars got bigger and bigger and heavier and heavier and more and more expensive and suddenly nobody could afford them anymore."
----
you notice he avoids using the term "firebird" in there. i believe this coudl mean eventually they will come out wiht a car that is totally seperate from the camaro called the firebird. however i agree that it's a good idea not to have two cars wiht just different names.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-22-2006, 09:21 PM

I agree with him on this one..but they have to have some kinda RWD sports type car with a nice V8 in it.

1994 Z28 Autobot

I would like to thank the person that came up with these fine avatar and signature's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page