Bad Fuel Economy on V6? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 09-28-2009, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Bad Fuel Economy on V6?

Hey Everybody,

I am not sure if this has already been discussed yet or not. I have the 1LT V6 and I am at about 800 miles so far. But the fuel economy that my Camaro is getting is like 15 - 16mpg....Is it always this bad when you are breaking in a new car? Does it get better? I thought I would atleast be getting like 18 mpg. I am driving mainly city miles and have not been gunning it too much. So just curious why it is so low right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 09-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

Which transmission? If it's a manual it could be that you're running in too low of a gear.

And it could be the breaking in period. When I got my G5 I got about 22-24..now I get **** near 30 average.
And keep your foot out of the fuel injectors.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Last edited by Luwinkle; 09-28-2009 at 11:46 AM. Reason: me no speaky good engrish.
post #3 of 28 Old 09-28-2009, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Sorry it is a automatic transmission

post #4 of 28 Old 09-28-2009, 11:55 AM

What are your driving conditions - lots of stop and go city stuff, flat roads or hills, how much idling time? The EPA numbers are for a very specific test schedule - your MPG depends on where and how you drive.
post #5 of 28 Old 09-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

Aye, constant stop-and-go will kill ANY car's MPG.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
post #6 of 28 Old 09-28-2009, 12:48 PM

I've got the 2SS 6spd man. During the break in the period the computer gave me 16 mpg. I cruise mostly in a rural areas (less traffic).Now that I've got 1500 mile on it. I'll see what kind of highway mpg's I get when I take a drive down to Atlanta from michigan in October.
Although it doesn't really matter. I didn't buy the V8 for the gas mileage...

Fly Low and avoid the radar
post #7 of 28 Old 09-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seherr View Post
I've got the 2SS 6spd man. During the break in the period the computer gave me 16 mpg. I cruise mostly in a rural areas (less traffic).Now that I've got 1500 mile on it. I'll see what kind of highway mpg's I get when I take a drive down to Atlanta from michigan in October.
Although it doesn't really matter. I didn't buy the V8 for the gas mileage...
The OP has the V6, so he has every right to be concerned about getting only 16 mpg. That's almost 10 mpg less than what I thought people were actually getting with the V6. Heck, I get 16 mpg in daily driving with the V8.

Still legal in 16 states. It's happy. It's fun. It's Happy Fun Car.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Car.
post #8 of 28 Old 09-28-2009, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I am really concerned. Because I thought I would be getting atleast around 20 mpg with my V6. I drive on normal flat roads and its your average city stop and go traffic. Today the screen read average fuel economy of 15.7

So I am not sure if maybe I should have it checked or what. I do only have 800 miles on it though.
post #9 of 28 Old 09-28-2009, 01:48 PM

The city EPA rating is only 17 MPG. For a new car, you're not far from that with only 800 miles. Have you done any highway cruising yet to get a hwy mpg? Does the car feel like its doing anything that needs to be looked at? Is it shify=ting correctly?
post #10 of 28 Old 09-28-2009, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member

Aye, it's only rated for 18MPG City for the automatic.
Considering the car isn't broken in yet..that doesn't sound that far off.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page