( Northern Folks ) How to Winterize your Car !!!! - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 78 Old 10-13-2009, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

( Northern Folks ) How to Winterize your Car !!!!

A few of you on here may have purchased your 5thgen and drive a beater during the winter months since the Salt yall use up north on the roads is not car friendly. I found steps on the internet that 5thgen owners are taking and figured if yall do store your car and dont do some/one of these it may help you in the long run

Steps:

1) Make sure the gas tank is at about 1/2 and put seafoam in it, drive the car for 5 miles, than put Sta-Bil in the in the tank, drive to gas station, fill it up and take it home (or to storage location).

2) If the car is close to an oil change make sure you do it before storing the car, if you have more than a couple thousand miles left there is no need for it.

3) Clean the car and put a fit car cover on it (for garage storage) unless you are using a heated garage in which case you wouldn't need this. If you are storing it outside make sure you have a weatherproof car cover.

4) Either (a) hook up a battery tender or (b) disconnect the battery.

5) Not required but is good if you remove the wheels and leave the car on 4 jack stands (for indoor storage).

6) If using a battery tender start the car once every month for 10-15 minutes.

Recommendations:

1) If your going to be storing your car either somewhere outside, or in a garage that isn't sealed well/is opened up during the winter months, than it's recommended that you use a clean rag in each tailpipe in case of rodents or something else climbing into it and stuffing it. Also if your going to do this put a sticky on the steering wheel to remind you to not start the vehicle without removing the rags.

2) Do not set the parking brake, if it's a manual leave it in neutral.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 Old 10-13-2009, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member

Why would I take the wheels off?
post #3 of 78 Old 10-13-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_Adam View Post
Why would I take the wheels off?
So they don't get flat on the bottom.

post #4 of 78 Old 10-13-2009, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

That reminds me after my dad and I got done rebuilding the Oldsmobile's engine many years ago..the first time we started it up I was expecting a furry fireball to come shooting out of the tailpipe.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #5 of 78 Old 10-13-2009, 11:05 AM

Not sure if i'd do this, but apparently moth balls on the ground around, and under the car will prevent mice from nesting inside under the hood or elsewhere in the car, say your car is in an outside garage or barn etc.
post #6 of 78 Old 10-13-2009, 02:20 PM

Ethanol in Gas

If your state mandates 10% ethanol in the fuel... Get the Stabil for marine equipment. It takes care of the ethanol.

Jayhawk500

2010 2SS/RS, Six speed, Rally Yellow w/ Black Painted Stripes, Boston Acoustic Stereo, Polished 20" wheels, SOLO Mach X Catbacks, VIN # 4492

post #7 of 78 Old 10-13-2010, 10:53 AM

Everyone still agree with this infos (O/P) ?

thinking around thanksgiving i'll put it away for the winter, i'd like to think about preping it.

https://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic6208_1.gif
post #8 of 78 Old 10-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

the fuel is the only one that i'm questioning

i've heard that it is better to have a full tank of fuel when going away for storage as to not leave room for condensation

but on the flip side i'm sure i've let my bronco sit for months with less then a 1/4 of fuel in it and never had a problem with it firing afterwards.

the ebrake thing is new to me as well. is this to prevent strain on the cable for being on for so long??

has anyone ran quick disconnects to their batteries yet? i was debating putting on a similar set up that the truck has to not have to keep taking the cable on and off when i want to fire the car up and let it run every month or so

the only other thing that i think should be mentioned is that if you're in a colder climate you should plug the car in for 24 hours before firing it up

welcome to alberta we eat cow, drill oil and rope calves

wants to push you down a flight of stairs to see if you are like a slinky or if you bounce like a ball... either way, I am quite sure I will be amused
post #9 of 78 Old 10-13-2010, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

I used to go through all that crap but I'd rather have them sit in a well ventilated building so that I can fire them up from time to time and move them around. I don't like gears and seals not getting lubricated/pressurized for long periods of time. I do put fuel stabilizer in all of them.

Sitting in a "big cammed" camaro that's running is a great winter past time when it's -10!

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.....it's an experience!"

Need to contact me? layssenATaol.com
post #10 of 78 Old 10-13-2010, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

here is another option if you don't want to leave the car on jack stands:

http://www.raceramps.com/flatstoppers.html

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page