Anyone dissapointed there is no 5.3L Camaro? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 11-14-2009, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

Anyone dissapointed there is no 5.3L Camaro?

i was hoping there would be a 5.3l camaro be a decent v8 thats not too expensive and would easily compete with mustang gt's ... just wondering what you all think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 11-14-2009, 06:11 AM

What does "not too expensive" mean?

Save $1,500?

5.7 V8 Z28s were about $25,000 over ten years ago.
What do you think that exact car would go for now?

I thank God there was a V8 option on this car at all. I'm very happy they made this car special instead of more of the same old thing. Obviously, there are standards that have to be met that force a larger number of V6s into production, so I think it pretty simply..is what it is.....
I've also never had faith in six cylinder engines lasting for as long as I like to keep my cars...

You gotta see Jack.
post #3 of 44 Old 11-14-2009, 06:13 AM
Supporter of common sense

Not one bit. I'd be disappointed if GM took a step or two backward and used that motor in this car.

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!

post #4 of 44 Old 11-14-2009, 07:35 AM

Maybe it's just me, but I haven't been able to find one legitimate problem with the car. I would have rather had headers and CAI already on it when I bout it. But that's a little unrealistic.
post #5 of 44 Old 11-14-2009, 07:45 AM

No, I'm Not disappointed at all about not having a 5.3 option.

I'm anxious to see a forced induction V8 or at least V6 after seeing the Jay Leno Twin-Turbo V6 SEMA Camaro.
post #6 of 44 Old 11-14-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
i was hoping there would be a 5.3l camaro be a decent v8 thats not too expensive and would easily compete with mustang gt's ... just wondering what you all think?
I would tend to agree with you in the respect that a 5.3 liter V8 would've made a nice mid-level engine option. Think about the Camaro line-up in this way:

LS (1 or 2) - 3.6 Liter V6
LT (1 or 2) - 5.3 Liter V8
SS (1 or 2) - 6.2 Liter V8

I think it would've worked out great. A "something for everyone" concept. Combined with a little more visual distinction. This three-tiered model lineup would've been great for GM. I guess we'll never know, but we can be hopeful. It would be nice to know if this was ever contemplated by the design/marketing staff.
post #7 of 44 Old 11-14-2009, 07:57 AM
Supporter of common sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfighter View Post
I would tend to agree with you in the respect that a 5.3 liter V8 would've made a nice mid-level engine option. Think about the Camaro line-up in this way:

LS (1 or 2) - 3.6 Liter V6
LT (1 or 2) - 5.3 Liter V8
SS (1 or 2) - 6.2 Liter V8

I think it would've worked out great. A "something for everyone" concept. Combined with a little more visual distinction. This three-tiered model lineup would've been great for GM. I guess we'll never know, but we can be hopeful. It would be nice to know if this was ever contemplated by the design/marketing staff.
The Mustang has not had an option like that in quite a few years and works well for them. If you wanted a V8 Mustang, you bought the GT.

Also, more configurations = more packages = more cost. Personally, the minor 'gains' you mention above would not be worth having the price of the car increase

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #8 of 44 Old 11-14-2009, 08:00 AM

Amen!

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
post #9 of 44 Old 11-14-2009, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member

Let's compare the 5.3L V8 that is in the 09 LaCrosse (Yes I know it's FWD but it's a car engine instead of a truck one) to the 3.6L V6 that is in the Camaro:
5.3l = 300HP 323 TQ 16/24 A4
3.6l = 304HP 273 TQ 18/29 MPG m6 17/29MPG A6

Little to no benefit over the V6 plus much worse MPG. Not to mention recommended use of premium fuel to even get THOSE numbers.

And anyone remember people getting royally pissed off about there not being a 5.3L back before production started? I think it was even Overanxious that posted the link to another forum.

But I could be wrong.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #10 of 44 Old 11-14-2009, 08:55 AM

The 5.3 weighs more too.

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page