New member with a couple questions - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 11-25-2009, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

New member with a couple questions

I been looking around the forums and decided that I am going to buy a 2010 Camaro SS if I can sell my truck. Now, I will be leaving to boot on December 7th and I want to buy it right after that. How long does it take to get it if I gotta order it? Also, does the engine have any restrictions or power management that I should know? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 11-25-2009, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member

Welcome... Where r u from? Which branch are U going into? The L99 has cylinder shut down to save gas. I dont think the LS3 does. Can U drive a manual or do u need an auto? My friend just ordered last week and they said 3 - 4 months..

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
Look at it this way, if you have "Camaro" written on your car somewhere, you're already starting with a great platform!!

Last edited by WRAITHSS; 11-25-2009 at 07:29 PM.
post #3 of 33 Old 11-25-2009, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRAITHSS View Post
Welcome... Where r u from? Which branch are U going into? The L99 has cylinder shut down to save gas. I dont think the LS3 does. Can U drive a manual or do u need an auto? My friend just ordered last week and they said 3 - 4 months..
I am from Yuma, AZ going into the Marine corp. I am getting manual for sure. A sports car isnt a sports car with auto transmission IMO, no offense to anyone. I just got back from the local Chevy dealer and said 8 weeks. But I found one in the Phoenix area with a 95% match

post #4 of 33 Old 11-25-2009, 08:18 PM

The L99 engine does have Active Fuel Management. Depending on the conditions, it can be V8, V6 or V4 and comes with an auto trans. The LS3 is a straight V8 and straight drive. You get 26 more horses with the LS3. The all have torque management in the PCM but that can be taken care of by a competent tuner. I agree with you, a sports car should have a manual trans. The L99 engine is no slouch though. Whatever you buy, you can't be wrong. Welcome to the site. I won't hold the Marine thing against you, even though I'm ex Army. Thanks you for your service and good luck.

Imperial Blue Metallic/2SS/M6
In My Hands: 12 November 2009

2004 Joe Gibbs Silverado
2000 Pontiac T/A (RIP) 1 November 2009
post #5 of 33 Old 11-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlwheeler View Post
The L99 engine does have Active Fuel Management. Depending on the conditions, it can be V8, V6 or V4 and comes with an auto trans. The LS3 is a straight V8 and straight drive. You get 26 more horses with the LS3. The all have torque management in the PCM but that can be taken care of by a competent tuner. I agree with you, a sports car should have a manual trans. The L99 engine is no slouch though. Whatever you buy, you can't be wrong. Welcome to the site. I won't hold the Marine thing against you, even though I'm ex Army. Thanks you for your service and good luck.
No 6, just 8 or 4.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of 33 Old 11-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartman90 View Post
I am from Yuma, AZ going into the Marine corp. I am getting manual for sure. A sports car isnt a sports car with auto transmission IMO, no offense to anyone. I just got back from the local Chevy dealer and said 8 weeks. But I found one in the Phoenix area with a 95% match
Great Semper fi brother.. USMC 94' Good luck.. Any idea which way you want to go. How did you score on your entry exams? Thats cool. If you can swing it now.. My friend bought a manual and I have been showing him how to drive for a couple of weeks so he doesnt blow it up. I went with him to pick up his 1SS. And he was killing it going out the door of the dealership. Hes better now..

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
Look at it this way, if you have "Camaro" written on your car somewhere, you're already starting with a great platform!!

Last edited by WRAITHSS; 11-25-2009 at 08:24 PM.
post #7 of 33 Old 11-25-2009, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member

Welcome to the site...best of luck in boot-camp/Semper Fi

The M6/LS3 has "skip-shift" instead of the AFM...but is easily de-activated.

Ordering time partially depends on the dealer and their available allocation.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #8 of 33 Old 11-25-2009, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlwheeler View Post
Yeah, that is exactly what I was talking about. I know for my Titan, I dont get WOT till 40 MPH. I was wondering if the Camaros had something like that. Thanks
post #9 of 33 Old 11-25-2009, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartman90 View Post
Yeah, that is exactly what I was talking about. I know for my Titan, I dont get WOT till 40 MPH. I was wondering if the Camaros had something like that. Thanks
Go figure, I was starting to like you until you said you have a Titan.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #10 of 33 Old 11-25-2009, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRAITHSS View Post
Great Semper fi brother.. USMC 94' Good luck.. Any idea which way you want to go. How did you score on your entry exams? Thats cool. If you can swing it now.. My friend bought a manual and I have been showing him how to drive for a couple of weeks so he doesnt blow it up. I went with him to pick up his 1SS. And he was killing it going out the door of the dealership. Hes better now..
I was gonna do Infantry and I wanted it badly but it wasnt open for my shipping date. I got Aviation Operations. I scored 61 on ASVAB. I can somewhat drive a manual, enough not to blow it up LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page