Camaro team's response to concern about transmission output shaft failure - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-03-2009, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

Camaro team's response to concern about transmission output shaft failure

We bring you a message from Mr. John Fitzpatrick (aka Fbodfather 2.0) regarding the community's concern about potential output shaft failure:

Quote:
I understand over the recent Thanksgiving holiday, the Camaro output shaft topic heated up. We understand the members' passion and concern for this issue as it involves a major powertrain component. Rest assured, everyone on the Camaro team takes these issues very seriously, but there is some confusion regarding this matter that we would like to try to clear up.

As many of the members know, we started to receive warranty claim reports in June of this year regarding output shaft failures on Camaro SS models with manual transmissions. When we noticed a spike in claims, a review was initiated to determine the root cause for the failure. This review is common practice for us, and usually takes a number weeks to complete. Since we did not immediately know the root cause, we did slow the shipments of Camaro SS models from Oshawa for a couple of weeks until the review was completed.

At the end of the review, we concluded the probability of a customer experiencing an output shaft failure under normal driving conditions are very low (or - if you are into engineer speak, "below tolerance"). In fact, even in the most extreme driving condition, the probability of failure does not significantly change.

Ideally, we would like to say that there is no chance a failure under any driving condition will occur. We know this is not possible since every car - regardless of manufacturer - has some probability of a part failing. In the case of Camaro, we believe the probability is very low. We have such confidence in the low probability that we back it up by providing the industry best's powertrain warranty - 100,000 miles or 5 years, which includes roadside assistance and courtesy transportation. If the powertrain part fails due to a defect in our workmanship or material, we'll correct the issue regardless of the number of owners a particular Camaro may have during that period.

Hopefully this will provide a little more insight from our perspective on this topic.

Sincerely,

John Fitzpatrick
Marketing Manager - Chevy Performance Cars
Thank you John!

Quote:
History repeats itself because nobody listens the first time. -Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-03-2009, 05:33 AM
Supporter of common sense

Sounds like common sense to most, but not to all apparently. Still good to hear from Chevrolet about it

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #3 of 9 Old 12-03-2009, 07:21 AM

aye definately common sense response, standard "working as intended" email.

I think peoples root concern is not that the part won't get fixed or will it fall under warrenty. Its disruption of having a broken car, time and money lost etc etc. Even with a loaner its a pain. Also could the broken part lead to other broken parts, or prematurely compromise another part to break.

Then, after its fixed whos to say the new part isn't the same type part that had failed the first time and will eventually fail again at some point, and repeat the ordeal.

post #4 of 9 Old 12-03-2009, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member

I dunno...yeah, it's a nice statement...but just adds to the paranoia. Originally it was reported that there was a defective part and the problem was limited to a certain vin # range. This statement makes it sound like there was no defective part.

That said, as far as I've seen on the forums, all the broken tailshafts reported were before the M6 "production slowdown"...so before vin # 26,xxx.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-03-2009, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
Sounds like common sense to most, but not to all apparently. Still good to hear from Chevrolet about it
Sorry, just wanted to post the latest.

Quote:
History repeats itself because nobody listens the first time. -Anonymous
post #6 of 9 Old 12-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Supporter of common sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodZ View Post
Sorry, just wanted to post the latest.
No need to apologize

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #7 of 9 Old 12-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Camaro Focus Group Member

we have a low VIN and no probs so far

even if it did break tho, it wouldn't be a big deal to me since it would be covered by warranty. at least they're not like nissan and voiding people's warranties for using the car in the manner it was meant to be driven.

"All alone in my funeral home, playing in blood, there's just got to be something wrong with me" -Slayer-
post #8 of 9 Old 12-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetHawkSelena View Post

even if it did break tho, it wouldn't be a big deal to me since it would be covered by warranty. at least they're not like nissan and voiding people's warranties for using the car in the manner it was meant to be driven.
TRUE....there's even a guy on C5 who broke one w/ a maggie on his car...it was replaced under warranty. (I'm sure that not all dealers would be as accommodating though).

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-03-2009, 12:31 PM
www.camaroscotty.com

Garage
John Hennessee once told me that even in his cars, they have yet to see an issue.....

http://www.camaroscotty.com
YAHOO IM:
CamaroScotty / FACEBOOK: Camaro Scotty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page