What the dealer said about oil change. - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 72 Old 12-07-2009, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

What the dealer said about oil change.

So I called my dealership to schedule my first oil change right at 3k miles for my 2010 V6. He said right away that GM does not require the oil change till
6k miles. Which totally threw me off. So I am only at 3k and not sure if I should do it to be safe. He said they also use a semi synthetic oil which will be for $40 out the door.

This got me thinking. The oil life indicator on the dash says the life is still at like 62%. Is that what I go by to get oil change done every time? I am now just a little confused. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 Old 12-07-2009, 10:08 AM

Last edited by DrJohn; 12-08-2009 at 07:33 AM.
post #3 of 72 Old 12-07-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduke10 View Post
So I called my dealership to schedule my first oil change right at 3k miles for my 2010 V6. He said right away that GM does not require the oil change till
6k miles. Which totally threw me off. So I am only at 3k and not sure if I should do it to be safe. He said they also use a semi synthetic oil which will be for $40 out the door.

This got me thinking. The oil life indicator on the dash says the life is still at like 62%. Is that what I go by to get oil change done every time? I am now just a little confused. Thanks!
I also talked to a GM certified mechanic with 20+ yrs experience and he advised the opposite of what DrJohn is stating. He said to go by what the manufacturer tells you. He also said that early fluid/oil changes are not necessary and it was a waste of money.

My advice: do some research and do what you think is best for your car. There are many mixed ideas out there when it comes to the first oil change on a new car. There is also another thread that talks about this with a lot of good info. Look it up. Good luck.

post #4 of 72 Old 12-07-2009, 10:44 AM

Last edited by DrJohn; 12-08-2009 at 07:34 AM.
post #5 of 72 Old 12-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

no matter what you do, that car has a 100,000 mile warranty. if you choose not to change it until the oil life indicator says so, and something else happens down the road, it will be covered!

i haven't changed the oil in my SS yet and i have 4500 miles on it. when i put it on the lift to check the bolts of my new exhaust, i found a small oil leak near the oil cooler lines and filter, but don't know what from yet. so i'll be getting my first oil change for free while they figure out what the leak is from!

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!
post #6 of 72 Old 12-07-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJohn View Post
Works for me. Drove my G3 for 21 years and it's still on the road (needs paint, though)
Nice.

I owned a 1985 tercel (which I gave to my brother in law in 1997) and the car is still on the road. Did everything by the manual. I'm sure it needs paint too!
post #7 of 72 Old 12-07-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
no matter what you do, that car has a 100,000 mile warranty. if you choose not to change it until the oil life indicator says so, and something else happens down the road, it will be covered!

i haven't changed the oil in my SS yet and i have 4500 miles on it. when i put it on the lift to check the bolts of my new exhaust, i found a small oil leak near the oil cooler lines and filter, but don't know what from yet. so i'll be getting my first oil change for free while they figure out what the leak is from!
The mechanic I talked to also brought up the 100,000 powertrain warranty. No worries here. Shoot, I'll probably be driving a 2020 Camaro by the time I reach 100,000 miles on my 2010. I own a 2002 Avalanche and I'm about to hit 50,000 miles after almost 8 yrs!
post #8 of 72 Old 12-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Supporter of common sense

6K is way too long for the first change IMO. Peace of mind comes cheap if you do the first one by the first 1K or so miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post

ONLY if you save all of your receipts for the oil changes you do or have done

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #9 of 72 Old 12-07-2009, 12:03 PM

Old school vs. Modern Tech.

Hard to convince old school guys to trust the car to know when it needs its oil changed. I myself just recently stopped using paste wax( I thought if my arm didnt hurt it wasn't a good wax job). I hate to waste $ on premature oil changes when there is chrome and women to be had.
post #10 of 72 Old 12-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member

Follow the oil life indicator. They engineered it for a reason.

Who to trust... engineers or a redneck?

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page