Unusual fuel smell after a short enginge run .. - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-07-2009, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Unusual fuel smell after a short enginge run ..

My 1LT v6 M6 has about 5600 on it and almost since I have purchased it I have garaged it.

The garage is attached to the house. I go out into the garage and open it, out to the driveway and start it after it has been sitting long enough to get cold, pull 20 feet into the garage and shut it down and shut the garage door and go into the house.

I come back out a half hour later and there is a distinct smell of raw fuel. I was thinking that the fuel pump is charging the system after shutdown and it has a small leak somewhere. It goes away after a while and I have checked the obvious (filler cap) and watched for any drips underneath but no evidence.

I would certainly hate to have it burst into flames and burn itself down along with my house. That's a bad thing.

Any thoughts or experiences with this?

TIA

Regards,
DJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-07-2009, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJohn View Post
My 1LT v6 M6 has about 5600 on it and almost since I have purchased it I have garaged it.

The garage is attached to the house. I go out into the garage and open it, out to the driveway and start it after it has been sitting long enough to get cold, pull 20 feet into the garage and shut it down and shut the garage door and go into the house.

I come back out a half hour later and there is a distinct smell of raw fuel. I was thinking that the fuel pump is charging the system after shutdown and it has a small leak somewhere. It goes away after a while and I have checked the obvious (filler cap) and watched for any drips underneath but no evidence.

I would certainly hate to have it burst into flames and burn itself down along with my house. That's a bad thing.

Any thoughts or experiences with this?

TIA

Regards,
DJ
Take it in and have them run a diagnostic check. It should be covered under warranty if you haven't done anything to the car out of factory. My guess may be the overcharge you suggested. Electrical hiccup with 1st year models, probably a one off issue because it's news to me.

Support MC.com peoples.. $9 bucks. Timmy needs to get that wheelchair into the 10s!

2000 Maple Red Metallic Pontiac Firebird Trans Am.
Stock: 303 RWHP / 318.5 RWTQ
1320: 14.29 @ 120.33mph
post #3 of 11 Old 12-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

could be fumes inside the exhaust pipes, my SS smells kinda like that after i drive it and when i shut it down i exit through the garage door and you can see smoke slowly creeping out my 5" tips & up into the air when its cold outside.

the smell is possibly from the cats when they burn the unspent fuel that leaves the engine. i've talked to tuners and almost always the camaros and vettes run rich (around 12:1 a/f ratio) at WOT from the factory (ideal is 12.5:1 to 13:1 a/f ratio), so they probably have a lil extra fuel not being burned inside the engine than most vehicles.

but don't take my word for it, take it in and have a certified mechanic diagnose it under warranty.

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!

Last edited by RedJewel2SS; 12-07-2009 at 11:13 AM.

post #4 of 11 Old 12-07-2009, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
could be fumes inside the exhaust pipes, my SS smells kinda like that after i drive it and when i shut it down i exit through the garage door and you can see smoke slowly creeping out my 5" tips & up into the air when its cold outside.

the smell is possibly from the cats when they burn the unspent fuel that leaves the engine. i've talked to tuners and almost always the camaros and vettes run rich (around 12:1 a/f ratio) at WOT from the factory (ideal is 12.5:1 to 13:1 a/f ratio), so they probably have a lil extra fuel not being burned inside the engine than most vehicles.

but don't take my word for it, take it in and have a certified mechanic diagnose it under warranty.
Well, the strange part is that the smell ONLY happens when I have run the cold engine for less than a minute or so. If I drive any distance at all it doesn't have the fuel smell.

I will mention it to the dealer and see if they are interested in looking at it. I'm sure they will be. I hope they will be.

Thanx for the input, gentlemen.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-07-2009, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Well, the strange part is that the smell ONLY happens when I have run the cold engine for less than a minute or so. If I drive any distance at all it doesn't have the fuel smell.

I will mention it to the dealer and see if they are interested in looking at it. I'm sure they will be. I hope they will be.

Thanx for the input, gentlemen.
They'd have to under law I'd guess. If anything is found, it'll go under a warranty fix. Even then the check would probably be nothing too intensive.

But the more you talk about it the more I wonder if it's a sticky relay or something in the fuel pump because of the 'cold' nature of the start. *shrug*

Support MC.com peoples.. $9 bucks. Timmy needs to get that wheelchair into the 10s!

2000 Maple Red Metallic Pontiac Firebird Trans Am.
Stock: 303 RWHP / 318.5 RWTQ
1320: 14.29 @ 120.33mph
post #6 of 11 Old 12-07-2009, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Scheduled for diagnosis Wednesday. We shall hopefully know by Thursday.

Thanks again for all the input.

~John
post #7 of 11 Old 12-07-2009, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

The more I read this post the more I think you have hit the nail on the head.

I don't smell the fuel right away, but rather about half an hour later. That would give it time to creep down the pipes and out into the wild.

Another thing that comes to mind is that all engines run rich at startup so a 10 second duration run would hardly give it time to clear the system out.

Sidenote ... **** your ride looks nice. That red almost reminds me of candy apple (oops ... just told on myself ). Beautiful.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-09-2009, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

You're my new tuner.

You hit it right on. The main thing was that in a 10 to 20 second engine run the cats don't have time to heat to operating temp (of course) and the engine is at it's richest at cold start up so it all makes sense to me now. Never really smelled it after a longer drive (maybe once or twice in a closed small area like my garage).

The give away was that I would smell the fuel one day and not the next. Leaks do not usually fix themselves.

Thanx for all the input, gents. Appreciate it.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

no prob... yea it does run rich at cold start up... i monitored it with my DiabloSport Trinity and it was lower than 14.75 which it should be, but once it was warmed up it was spot on.

i dunno if yours does this, but when i first turn it on in the morning, it idles around 800-1000 rpm but after a couple minutes it gradually lowers to about 550-650 rpm... that is when i noticed the change in AFR and engine temp started to rise. give it about 5-10 minutes and everything should be at good operating temps to tear up the streets!

Gone but not Forgotten!
post #10 of 11 Old 12-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Sidenote ... **** your ride looks nice. That red almost reminds me of candy apple (oops ... just told on myself ). Beautiful.
Thanks man! i love dark red... i went to school at Texas A&M, school colors are maroon and white, and the red jewel tintcoat of my car is as close to maroon as i could get. and the best part is the color changes in the shade and in the sun. in the sahde it looks like your standard burgundy, but in the sunlight the color just pops, and you can tell why the gave it the name red jewel! i loved the color so much i made my screen name every where what it is now!

if you want, here's a link to photos of my ride... theres multiple posts on all the pages with updated pics of my car!
https://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=16032

Gone but not Forgotten!

Last edited by RedJewel2SS; 12-09-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page