What is a Camaro? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 12-16-2009, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Talking What is a Camaro?

I came home today and found a package at my door, it turned out to be 2 books sent to me by my grandmother (thanks). The first one I started reading, "Camaro an american icon" by Gary Wetzenburg. Im a few pages in and they are talking about the name and where it came from, Bob Lund and Ed Rollert came up with the name after reviewing over 5000 company generated suggestions and sitting down with an english-spanish dictionary, a english-french dictionary and Rodget's Thesaurus.
At this point I realized the only definition of that word that I knew of was the car, I have never associated the word with anything else, obvisouly there is a hoast of feelings and associations I had gathered in my life, (fast, sexy, loud, the best, etc..) but I had never known any other definition. Quoting the book, that is quoting Bob Lund:

" I found this word 'Camaro', which had kind of a ring, a dramatic sound to it, and I said, 'Here is a hell of a name!' I read him the various definitions of it, one of which was very appropriate - friend, warm friend, something of that nature."

After reading this I went over to a few dictionary sites, websters, dictionary.com, etc. I wanted to see these 'various' definitions were for my car, now I did not spend alot of time on this but none of the sites I looked at had any other definition but the car. So I looked up the thesaurus, that Rodget's one is copyrighted so you can't see it on the internet I guess so I went to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camaro , I still did not find any original meaning for the word, but I found a statement that deeply satisfied me, after the GM general manager unveiled the Camaro and gave his interpertation of whar the car meant the automotive press asked Chevrolet product managers, "What is a Camaro?", they replied it was "a small, vicious animal that eats Mustangs".

That is so awesome.

Post other definitions if you find them.

Go to http://www.cheers*****.com/Camaro.html to view picictures of my Camaro!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-16-2009, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

So then, I read further on to find an article written by Scott Settlemire - Fbodfather -, I love how the article titles him "Author, Camaro Subject Matter Expert", and wondering, was this really a word before the car? I had never really given this aspect of my favorite car much thought, it simply was a camaro. If you happen to read this Scott, maybe you can shed some light on it. Sorry if this has been disscussed to death already, but the 'eating mustangs' deffinition made me laugh so hard that I had to post it.

post #3 of 16 Old 12-16-2009, 11:30 PM

yea i heard it means "comrade" which is practically the same thing.
I hate it when people say it means shrimp in spanish, shrimp is spelled camarón.
I was really pissed when i heard this in a review of motor trend.

post #4 of 16 Old 12-17-2009, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APCamaro View Post
I hate it when people say it means shrimp in spanish, shrimp is spelled camarón.
yeah, I have a friend that's a mustang guy and he swears up and down that it means shrimp...I told him no matter what it means, I would stomp his *ss in a race

~ Dreams do come true ~
post #5 of 16 Old 12-17-2009, 06:17 AM
Veteran Member

It sounds better than Panther.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #6 of 16 Old 12-17-2009, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APCamaro View Post
Yeah, that's like an insult. I am kinda thinking that they made up the word, only those who were there will truly know, like I said I can't seem to find any other reference to the word but the car. But I have not spent hours reasearching this, that is why I posted it, to see what every one else has heard.

post #7 of 16 Old 12-17-2009, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

cool info
post #8 of 16 Old 12-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnm3 View Post
yeah, I have a friend that's a mustang guy and he swears up and down that it means shrimp...I told him no matter what it means, I would stomp his *ss in a race
Right... GM execs, after scouring dictionaries and thesauri for a catchy name to attach to their answer to the Mustang, came up with "shrimp". Your Mustang friend must not be very bright.

Still legal in 16 states. It's happy. It's fun. It's Happy Fun Car.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Car.
post #9 of 16 Old 12-17-2009, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weland View Post
Right... GM execs, after scouring dictionaries and thesauri for a catchy name to attach to their answer to the Mustang, came up with "shrimp". Your Mustang friend must not be very bright.

A shrimp that eats mustangs, maybe a prehistoric shrimp.

post #10 of 16 Old 12-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigam21 View Post

A shrimp that eats mustangs, maybe a prehistoric shrimp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page