2SS/RS as a midwest daily driver... thoughts? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 12-27-2009, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

2SS/RS as a midwest daily driver... thoughts?

DELETED

Last edited by Cassette87; 10-22-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-28-2009, 05:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassette87 View Post
Hey guys,

Thinking of going and trading in the malibu and picking up a 2SS/RS as my new DD. I had a 393RWHP 02 camaro as a daily driver for some time so i'm aware of the common problems with driving a pony car in the winter.

I'm just curious how many of you guys are daily drivin your fifth gens, and how you feel about it.

Anyone have any thoughs to share about how the car handles in inclement weather?

Does anyone driving it as a DD have any regrets?

It'd be a 2SS/RS M6

Thanks Guys!
what kind of winter?? I live in MN and am storing it this winter but plan on driving it the next! DD as well, love it in the summer alittle worried about the winter but nothing a set of nice snow tires wont take care of.
post #3 of 22 Old 12-28-2009, 06:00 AM
www.camaroscotty.com

Garage
Yes, you'll need snows!

Let me know when you're ready to trade it - I'm just up the road..get a deal from your local dealer and then give me a call!

http://www.camaroscotty.com
YAHOO IM:
CamaroScotty / FACEBOOK: Camaro Scotty

post #4 of 22 Old 12-28-2009, 03:59 PM

I've got mine stored in my garage for the winter. It keeps my Corvette company. All snug an cozy... Never gonna see salt!
My work truck "DD" is my Ford F-150 its pretty high off the ground. I put a few bricks in the bed for traction. And it handles good in snow.
If you live where it snows. Get yourself a good used truck or jeep for the winter months. And keep that 2SS in the garage. Bring it out to play in the spring.
Anyway that just my take on it. But, you should do what you want to do...

Hells Bells, I wish I could drive my cars all year around. But here in Michigan, winter and snow go hand in hand... And its also **** COLD! I hate winter...

Fly Low and avoid the radar

Last edited by seherr; 12-28-2009 at 04:05 PM.
post #5 of 22 Old 12-28-2009, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

BUY IT! WELL WORTH IT! just don't drive it in the snow... higher accident percentage and salt is no bueno! if you do drive it in the winter get a set a snow tires and that 3M stuff on your rockers!!!

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!
post #6 of 22 Old 12-28-2009, 07:29 PM

I realize I'm not taking most of the advice on the forum.......I WOULD if I COULD though. that being said, I have 2SS/RS Auto. I see snow and ice in Indianapolis and I have to drive every day, to beat that, my job is industrial park work and it's in sales so I'm in the car more than I am at my home lol. I've had the car since May 27th, 16k miles on it and not slowing down even with Indianapolis January coming. I'm getting around and feel like I'm being careful. I'll post from the ditch or side of the road if I must but I've always had tough to get around in cars, this one just turns the wheels a little or well a LOT faster hehe. ...so far...so good ......._____________(someone will catch this Dave Mustaine phrase here). I am babying the car just no choice but to drive it daily....so.......

rock n roll.

At last--Dream HAS BECOME Reality....
post #7 of 22 Old 12-28-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seherr View Post
I've got mine stored in my garage for the winter. It keeps my Corvette company. All snug an cozy... Never gonna see salt!
My work truck "DD" is my Ford F-150 its pretty high off the ground. I put a few bricks in the bed for traction. And it handles good in snow.
If you live where it snows. Get yourself a good used truck or jeep for the winter months. And keep that 2SS in the garage. Bring it out to play in the spring.
Anyway that just my take on it. But, you should do what you want to do...

Hells Bells, I wish I could drive my cars all year around. But here in Michigan, winter and snow go hand in hand... And its also **** COLD! I hate winter...

That's an awesome scenario, I like the idea of putting her up.....maybe next year, cause we're all gonna have great 2010!!!

At last--Dream HAS BECOME Reality....
post #8 of 22 Old 12-29-2009, 05:47 PM
sdk
Veteran Member

Garage
My ABM 2LT is my daily driver. Hubby has a Silverado for his daily driver.

2017 Camaro SS
South Carolina
post #9 of 22 Old 12-29-2009, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

As much as I'd like to get another daily driver, I already have an 02 C5 sitting in the garage next to a 34k mile 88 fiero GT that are my toys, so the Malibu is my DD and the Camaro would be the replacement.

I live in the southwest suburbs of Chicago, so we do get a handful of days during the average winter that are interesting in the snow but not ao many that I think it'd be unbearable
post #10 of 22 Old 12-30-2009, 12:15 AM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

This year my Camaro is stored for the winter, but starting next year it might become a year-round vehicle.
Depends if we can afford to buy a 3rd car next fall. We'll see!

I'm sure these cars are fine in the winter, but I would definitely get winter tires!
And wash it often to deter the salt.

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page