For those doing your own oil change, how are you doing it? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 01-05-2010, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

For those doing your own oil change, how are you doing it?

I've always done my own oil changes. So of course, I know how to do it. The reason I'm asking is because I've always owned trucks/suv's and all I did was slide underneath and do the oil change no problem. My son drives a Matrix and for that one I drive it up the plastic rhino ramps which is also a piece of cake.

How are you changing the oil at home for your Camaro? I'm definitively not trying to use the same plastic ramps for the Camaro. I don't trust them on the Camaro, plus just thinking that I might drive past the ramps (already happened once with the Matrix) and end up running over them frightens me. I'm just looking for a simple and fast way. Also, is Purolator a good option for the filter? I've read about wix and k/n but those are not easy to find around here.

Happy New Year to all of you. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-05-2010, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

i just got a set of rhino ramps from O'Reillys and they say they can handle up to 8000 lbs. and they have chalks on the end so you don't drive over them. but just to be safe than sorry, always have a spotter guiding you on and keep your left foot/right hand ready to press the brake/pull the e-brake just in case.

as for the filter... i've always used a fram oil filter on my truck, but for my camaro i plan to stick with the OE filter. by the way what is the OE filter?

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!

Last edited by RedJewel2SS; 01-06-2010 at 12:06 PM.
post #3 of 31 Old 01-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

Jack and jack stands worked fine for me.

If you have a napa near you...napa gold oild filters are the same as wix. (part #7060 for LS3).

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.

post #4 of 31 Old 01-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Supporter of common sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
Jack and jack stands worked fine for me.
x10 - the only way to do this IMO.
Block a wheel or two and jack it up. Support it with a jack stand or two if you like.

I'm glad I still have a truck, slide under and do the work

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #5 of 31 Old 01-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

We've always used ramps..but the old metal ones with a steep incline and very, very, very little lip on the end. When I had the S-10 I ended up driving over them..that was an interesting experience.
I want to get a set of the plastic ones since it has a much shallower incline and a bigger lip at the end.
Gonna be fun trying to drive a stick up one of those things though..need a third leg.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of 31 Old 01-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Camaro Focus Group Member

we either use the ramps or the jack and jack stands. the ramps are quicker. and we have the rhino ramps that have the lip at the end... i've never had problems with them and i've been using them since 1999.

also, i only use AC Delco filters (auto zone and pep boys sell 'em around here) and i think the 5th gen uses a different ones that the 4th gens and even the GTO did. i can't quite remember off the top of my head but i think it was PF47. PF46 is for LS1's and i think PF48 was for the GTO... or maybe that's our Silverado i'm thinking of... i'd have to go home and check. lol.

i'm sure purolator would be fine tho.

"All alone in my funeral home, playing in blood, there's just got to be something wrong with me" -Slayer-
post #7 of 31 Old 01-06-2010, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
I'm glad I still have a truck, slide under and do the work
That's what I do with my Avalanche. Too easy.
post #8 of 31 Old 01-06-2010, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwinkle View Post
We've always used ramps..but the old metal ones with a steep incline and very, very, very little lip on the end. When I had the S-10 I ended up driving over them..that was an interesting experience.
I want to get a set of the plastic ones since it has a much shallower incline and a bigger lip at the end.
Gonna be fun trying to drive a stick up one of those things though..need a third leg.
I drove over my ramps with my son's Matrix. Messed them up both and had to replace them. I will not try to go up the ramps with my manual. Screw that.
post #9 of 31 Old 01-06-2010, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys, thanks for all your input.
post #10 of 31 Old 01-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member

Word to the wise, I got some low-rise rhinos I got back in 2002 when I got the "old" Camaro with an M6 (no issues with them), and thought I might use them to get up under the new Camaro...hmmm. Wasn't going to clear the front lower air dam rubber lip. They may have newer ones that are even lower for Corvettes and such since then, but if you've got an older pair, check to make sure. I'm going to have to get some new ramps for the new Camaro.

I've never had an issue using ramps and placing a couple of jack stands for backup under there.

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page