It was 4 years ago today....... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 01-09-2010, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
THE FBODFATHER

It was 4 years ago today.......

It was four years ago today...........

.......at the North American International Autoshow in Detroit --

-- That Chevrolet unveiled the Camaro Concept to the world.

Many of our fellow Camaro/Firebird Enthusiasts were invited to Detroit to be a part of the unveiling -- and as they can tell you, the Camaro Concept stole the show.

I'll never forget watching the faces of so many as the Silver Concept made its way out onto the stage - and then down the aisle -- surrounded by thousands of cheering men and women......

I'll never forget watching a few Chrysler Executives walking over to the Camaro -- and one saying -- (very simply) "Ouch...."

It was a great day to be a Camaro guy or gal.......and my email inbox filled very quickly with comments.

And nearly every message was the same: "BUILD IT!"

followed by "...and it had BETTER look like the concept!!! Don't you DARE screw it up!!!!"

I know January 9th, 2006 was a day I will never forget --

Eight months later, in August of 2006, we announced (in front of Camaro/Firebird Enthusiasts at the General Motors Technical Center) that we had just 'green-lighted' the Camaro - and that it would go into production in the 2010 model year.

We started work in earnest in September of that year --

Fast forward to today, January 9, 2010 -- and our dreams have been realized.

I'm sitting in the Chevy Exhibit as workers frantically rush around getting ready for NAIAS 2010 -- and I'm looking at some Camaros on the floor -- and I still have "Perma-Grin"................

For the seventh month in a row, the new Camaro has outsold Mustang and Challenger combined........

.........and while I want to recognize the date, January 9, 2006 -------

..........I guess I REALLY want to say 'Thank You' --once again (and I can never do it enough) -- for "Keepin' the Faith" --

It would have been very easy for many of you to simply "abandon ship" --

But you didn't.........

Yes, Camaro went on 'Hiatus'...........

-- and when it did, a peculiar thing happened:

Camaro Enthusiast Events continued to be held -- (and many of you put thousands of hours into bringing us memorable times together....) -- and attendance increased!

-- and Websites continued to support us -- (...and I must thank Jason Debler and Chris Frezza for 15 years of hard work in bringing us CamaroZ28.com) -- (...and Jason Ory and his group for a decade of hard work at Z28.com) -- and then there are the hundreds of other Camaro and Camaro/Firebird sites...........

And of course, your letters and emails continued to flood into GM Headquarters -- making it clear that we MUST build a 5th gen.........

Does every Camaro enthusiast love the new Camaro? .....no, I'm afraid not -- but those that don't are in the minority. Frankly, no matter what design we would have chosen, we know that not everyone's gonna love what they see.

But what DOES let me know that the new Camaro hit it's mark is simply this: When you drive the new Camaro, the public treats it like a Rock Star - nearly a YEAR after they hit the road -- and 4 years since the Concept was unveiled.

-- and then there are the emails and notes we continue to receive from those who have just taken delivery of a new Camaro........telling us how much they love their new Camaro........and how many of them have become so emotionally attached to their new Camaro..............

In fact, the new Camaro has spurred a whole host of "New" Camaro sites - "moderncamaro.com" "5thgen.org" and "camaro5.com" to name just to name a few......bringing us a whole 'new' set of Camaro enthusiasts............

So...........on behalf of "Team Camaro" --

..........Thank You -- Thank You -- Thank You --

.................for all you've done for this Legendary Brand...........

........and know that "We aren't done yet!" -- there is much more to come.....................

Now - -go hug your Camaro!

Last edited by Fbodfather; 01-09-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 01-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member

I wish I had a camaro to hug.

Btw..moderncamaro.com and 5thgen.org are the same thing.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 29 Old 01-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Camaro Focus Group Member

...and what an incredible journey it has been. thank you, Scott, so very much for being the sounding board for enthusiasts even though i know sometimes you wanted to climb the walls. i still can't thank you enough for involving all of us disciples in the process too. and thanks to you and everyone at GM for hitting this one out of the park and bringing us a Camaro that truly is a celebrity and a legend in its own right. i'm gonna go hug the Bee now

"All alone in my funeral home, playing in blood, there's just got to be something wrong with me" -Slayer-

Last edited by SunsetHawkSelena; 01-09-2010 at 02:54 PM.

post #4 of 29 Old 01-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member

post #5 of 29 Old 01-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep

Garage
5thgen.org and moderncamaro.com are the same

June 2015 MOTM

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time, For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.
post #6 of 29 Old 01-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member

Well put, well said Scott, Thank you for your work, and Thanks GM for building it the right way.

2SS/RS, CGM, A6, Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger
My latest dyno: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjrLR0N12B4

Last edited by TX_SS; 01-09-2010 at 05:46 PM.
post #7 of 29 Old 01-09-2010, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
THE FBODFATHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwinkle View Post
Btw..moderncamaro.com and 5thgen.org are the same thing.
You and I know that -- but not everyone does, I found out last week.....

(...and I wanted to recognize the job Tim's done -- for many years!)
post #8 of 29 Old 01-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member

I remember watching the webcast at work...OMG! I fell in love and shorted out the keyboard with drool....

I KNEW we'd have one, but was trying to hold out for a convertible. Didn't make it...shucks!

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
post #9 of 29 Old 01-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbodfather View Post
You and I know that -- but not everyone does, I found out last week.....

(...and I wanted to recognize the job Tim's done -- for many years!)
True that, true that.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #10 of 29 Old 01-09-2010, 05:31 PM

I remember watching it on my computer. I was just about to leave for boot camp and I remember calling my dad over to watch the camaro with me.

I drooled for a long time, and still do. I point them out to my wife every time we drive my by one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page