Opinions on buying a 'Used 5th Gen'? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 01-09-2010, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Opinions on buying a 'Used 5th Gen'?

Why did I start this thead? Well:

-Search didn't bring anything up so I guess it's time for one
-I've been pondering this since I got the bombshell of a price for a used Camaro
-I may pull the trigger and wanted to just get a 'Guide to buying a used 5th gen' going.

So that said; what are your opinions, thoughts, and just general peanut gallery comments on the practice.

Oh, and the car in question w/ my 2001 Exploder trade in: 2SS A6 stickering for 36K otd new; now with 6.5K miles for $34K and after trade..

$29.5K w/ all seasons included.

Off Topic:
I actually kinda jawdropped when they said Explorers are back in demand because so many got CFC'd last year. And mine actually is one of the lower mile ones in the area and now may trade for around 5-6K instead of 3K.

Support MC.com peoples.. $9 bucks. Timmy needs to get that wheelchair into the 10s!

2000 Maple Red Metallic Pontiac Firebird Trans Am.
Stock: 303 RWHP / 318.5 RWTQ
1320: 14.29 @ 120.33mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 01-09-2010, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member

2K off of MSRP price and 6500 miles isn't a deal. I'd check around. But it's your call, obviously. Wouldn't be a bad thing if you can afford it and it's what you want.

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
post #3 of 32 Old 01-09-2010, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
2K off of MSRP price and 6500 miles isn't a deal. I'd check around. But it's your call, obviously. Wouldn't be a bad thing if you can afford it and it's what you want.
I don't even think you can even get 2K off MSRP anyhow on one with 0mi, and with the car essentially broken in and the warranty extended. Granted as I said before, I'd be paying 29K out the door and probably haggle lower since it's not 'new' and dealt through DWC's new car dept. So I dunno; could be gone by the time I actually get around to pulling any triggers.

:shrug:

Support MC.com peoples.. $9 bucks. Timmy needs to get that wheelchair into the 10s!

post #4 of 32 Old 01-09-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
i think thats a good starting price if you know how to bargain
Personally, i would consider it if you are kinda short of money, but if not i rather go to a brand new one.

post #5 of 32 Old 01-10-2010, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APCamaro View Post
i think thats a good starting price if you know how to bargain
Personally, i would consider it if you are kinda short of money, but if not i rather go to a brand new one.
New job, just out of school, and already he was quoting me in the 29K range because of my trade. Throw out the fact that there are other cars out there (2SS) that are pricing at 32K with half the miles..

It all depends if the people just call and say 'no job for joo' so that I can stop getting my hopes up.

post #6 of 32 Old 01-10-2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
New job, just out of school, and already he was quoting me in the 29K range because of my trade. Throw out the fact that there are other cars out there (2SS) that are pricing at 32K with half the miles..

It all depends if the people just call and say 'no job for joo' so that I can stop getting my hopes up.
hmm i guess that changes everything...
I guess you should wait for the 5th gen a little bit more, at least when the 2011 comes out. Also, you can always buy a [email protected] 4th gen camaro ss or z28 in good condition for a lot less, there is also the option of buying an early 5th gen mustang gt or challenger.

Good luck searching for your new car and i hope everything goes the way you want it.

post #7 of 32 Old 01-10-2010, 12:24 AM
Supporting Super Moderator

Used car rates are typically not as good as new car rates.

2010 Camaro RS SS LS3 (Bumble Bee) Vin#192 & 8 others made by GM and one Christine
post #8 of 32 Old 01-10-2010, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member

you can always wait a little bitthe prices will go down in a year or so most likely

post #9 of 32 Old 01-10-2010, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member

My advice is to WAIT just a bit longer and buy a new one. The supply is starting to catch up with demand, and soon, very soon, the Camaro will have some deals on it to keep them moving. That's just MY opinion. And the money you would pay in difference (about 2k or close to it) is possibly the amount of interest you'd save between a new car rate and a used car rate over the life of the loan. Plus you could start saving a few coins toward money down.

Unless you don't think your trade-in value will hold, and this is the EXACT car you want, I'd stop and think this through.

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
post #10 of 32 Old 01-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member

I don't think $2k off is worth it. I'd pay the extra $2k for a new one.

Don't do it.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page