304 or 409 ? exhaust confusion - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-16-2010, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

304 or 409 ? exhaust confusion

is there any real difference between 304 or 409 stainless steel ?, Its a difference of over 100$ in the price of the MBRP cat back kit is this worthwhile
to go with the 304. Im still undecided as far as exhaust goes, I like the MBRP the flowmaster the borla and the stainless works cat backs have no idea which way im going to go. The JBA looks great but no x pipe which I definatley want.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-16-2010, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member

I know with headers you're better off with 304 because it will retain heat better. With exhaust...it probably doesn't make much of a difference...304 will last longer, but what 15 years instead of 12? Unless you're building a show car, that you'll be putting mirrors underneath...it's a good way to save a little $$$.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-16-2010, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member

I checked it out real quick, 304 has better corrosion resistance then 409 and is less metallic. 304 will not discolor from the atmosphere alone, 409 will. 304 is just a better quality metal, that will keep its appearance better. All the exhausts u mentioned sound great from the clips I have heard, but its still hard to tell without actually hearing it in person. I actually just bought the flowmaster kit and am impatiently waiting for it to arrive next week. Found it in an ebay store for 650, and there is a few more available. I figure for the money it should be pretty good.

IBM 2SS/RS, M6, Blk Leather...
CAI, ARH Headers, Flowmasters, Diablosport tuned, Barton short-throw
Ordered 3/19 Delivered 8/12 VIN# 21970
94' Z28 sold 12/14/09

post #4 of 8 Old 01-16-2010, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odoylerulez55 View Post
I checked it out real quick, 304 has better corrosion resistance then 409 and is less metallic. 304 will not discolor from the atmosphere alone, 409 will. 304 is just a better quality metal, that will keep its appearance better. All the exhausts u mentioned sound great from the clips I have heard, but its still hard to tell without actually hearing it in person. I actually just bought the flowmaster kit and am impatiently waiting for it to arrive next week. Found it in an ebay store for 650, and there is a few more available. I figure for the money it should be pretty good.
I have heard good things about the flowmasters and thats probably where im going to go saw the ebay seller you bought from let me know how it goes if you can. I am considering buying from them also. I always wanted Borla exhaust but im just not sure its worth almost 2 x the flowmaster kit. The only thing I can see is its better looking the sound isnt too different. I am a heathen and need SOUND, Ill most likey wait till the weather is better maybe the prices will drop even further cant install them now anyway

post #5 of 8 Old 01-17-2010, 01:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucker15 View Post
I have heard good things about the flowmasters and thats probably where im going to go saw the ebay seller you bought from let me know how it goes if you can. I am considering buying from them also. I always wanted Borla exhaust but im just not sure its worth almost 2 x the flowmaster kit. The only thing I can see is its better looking the sound isnt too different. I am a heathen and need SOUND, Ill most likey wait till the weather is better maybe the prices will drop even further cant install them now anyway
im the same way... i need this beast to roar. It has been so cold out making an install uncomfortable, but ill warm up my garage as much as possible. It should be here by friday so ill post up some pics and clips asap and let you know how i like it.. In time all prices will eventually come down a little, the big question is how impatient will we get. My original plan, do nothing for a yr and make sure the car is solid, then turned to just intake in the spring, to this. Nothing goes to plan, i think the intake is next tho.

IBM 2SS/RS, M6, Blk Leather...
CAI, ARH Headers, Flowmasters, Diablosport tuned, Barton short-throw
Ordered 3/19 Delivered 8/12 VIN# 21970
94' Z28 sold 12/14/09
post #6 of 8 Old 01-17-2010, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odoylerulez55 View Post
im the same way... i need this beast to roar. It has been so cold out making an install uncomfortable, but ill warm up my garage as much as possible. It should be here by friday so ill post up some pics and clips asap and let you know how i like it.. In time all prices will eventually come down a little, the big question is how impatient will we get. My original plan, do nothing for a yr and make sure the car is solid, then turned to just intake in the spring, to this. Nothing goes to plan, i think the intake is next tho.
cool ill look for the posts. Im the same way if I had money the car would be tuned ARH headers hi flow cats CAI cat back tomorrow warranty be dammed. But I dont so the warranty is an issue for me cant risk a voided warranty with 2 babys and a wife mortgage etc.....

post #7 of 8 Old 01-22-2010, 03:35 AM
Veteran Member

304's are better.. Esp considering the weather we have they hold up alot better.. I have a couple of different vehicles with the 304 SS and seem to really doing well..

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
Look at it this way, if you have "Camaro" written on your car somewhere, you're already starting with a great platform!!
post #8 of 8 Old 01-22-2010, 06:43 AM

Go with the 304. We use American Racing headers on our builds (they are excellent quality). Never had any problems with the 304 stainless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page