Sun roof or no sun roof that is the question?? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 01-26-2010, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Sun roof or no sun roof that is the question??

When I got my maro I was very specific on not gettin a sun roof I have never used or liked them especially on a sports car!! But I seem to see allot of them around with the sun roof action, gotta ask why the sun roof if you got one and if you dont why you chose that style?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 01-26-2010, 12:01 PM

I live in Vegas; can you say "sweltering summer heat?"
Having one as well in my Grand National, I know how it helps pull the heat out quickly to aid the A/C in cooling the car much more quickly.

I will say just like the GN, I hate that I'm tall with a moonroof. The head clearance is awful.
post #3 of 35 Old 01-26-2010, 12:05 PM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

I really like sunroofs...

But I didn't get one on my Camaro because then it loses the "reverse mohawk" character lines in the roof, which I love.

It's a trade-off, and as much as I like sunroofs, I like the reverse mohawk more.

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!

post #4 of 35 Old 01-26-2010, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

My wife likes the roof a lot, I have a 69 also so I wasnt going to push my luck got to keep them both so let her have her roof, I do kind of like it too

post #5 of 35 Old 01-26-2010, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I enjoyed having the sun-roof's / Moon roofs on a few vehicles an 00 eclipse gt,02 Benz SL500, Denalli GMC etc.... but When I got my Subaru 03 wrx I fell in love with the no sun roof!! I like the feeling of being closed in tight kinda little more race car style. I used to smoke but now that I dont I really dont need one. But MN is'nt known for our melting heat either lol it is always chilly here so its easy when your sun roof would be closed anways
post #6 of 35 Old 01-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

i don't know why i got a sunroof, but i did, and i love it! although i was scared at first when my head touched the roof, but i found out that the seat lowered down and all was A-OK!

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!
post #7 of 35 Old 01-26-2010, 12:44 PM

I love sunroofs on my vehicles also....however when it came to the decision for the camaro I chose not to for two reasons:

1) As mentioned before, you loose the reverse mohawk roof lines which I find really carry the hood lines back through the rest of the car (especially when you have stripes). This is one of the things that I think give the car it's "attitude" when looking at it from the front.....or more likely the rear end on the highways.

2) The default sunroof on the Camaro opens out and overtop the roof of the vehicle. The only sunroofs I EVER have on my vehicles are ones that slide back under the roofline but overtop the ceiling liner into the interior of the vehicle. I simply don't like the look of the class hanging off the top of my cars. It looks like a old guy's toupee has come unglued and is hanging off the back of his head (to me at least). Now I know the exterior sliding window is the only option on the camaro due to it's already low stance and roof height. There simply isn't enough room to loose 3-4" of interior ceiling height to allow the sunroof to slide back above the headliner.

I do have to admit that after all of my last 5 vehicles having sunroofs....at times it can feel a little closed in in the cabin. But I find that rolling down the windows and cruising at 100 mph tends to break up that feeling.

2010 IBM Camaro SS/RS M6, (White Rally and GFX)
2010 Camaro Photo Galleries
post #8 of 35 Old 01-26-2010, 12:48 PM

no sunroof, you lose the beauty of the roof with one...

CGM 1SS/RS LS3
468 rwhp
430 rwtq
post #9 of 35 Old 01-26-2010, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbingham View Post
I love sunroofs on my vehicles also....however when it came to the decision for the camaro I chose not to for two reasons:

1) As mentioned before, you loose the reverse mohawk roof lines which I find really carry the hood lines back through the rest of the car (especially when you have stripes). This is one of the things that I think give the car it's "attitude" when looking at it from the front.....or more likely the rear end on the highways.

2) The default sunroof on the Camaro opens out and overtop the roof of the vehicle. The only sunroofs I EVER have on my vehicles are ones that slide back under the roofline but overtop the ceiling liner into the interior of the vehicle. I simply don't like the look of the class hanging off the top of my cars. It looks like a old guy's toupee has come unglued and is hanging off the back of his head (to me at least). Now I know the exterior sliding window is the only option on the camaro due to it's already low stance and roof height. There simply isn't enough room to loose 3-4" of interior ceiling height to allow the sunroof to slide back above the headliner.

I do have to admit that after all of my last 5 vehicles having sunroofs....at times it can feel a little closed in in the cabin. But I find that rolling down the windows and cruising at 100 mph tends to break up that feeling.
haha agree 100% great points!!
post #10 of 35 Old 01-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member

With the solid roof on both are 4th gens, we wanted to really wait for a convertible. However, the sunroof would be the next best thing. I like it on sunny days because it really lights up the interior during the day. The cover is cool when you want to feel closed up. It has its advantages/disadvantages, but the frilly options decisions were left up to the wife, and she chose to have it, so we got it.

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page