Questions on the New Camaro: - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 01-26-2010, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Questions on the New Camaro:

Hey guys, I was hoping you guys could give me some info on the new Camaro. My girlfriend whom I live with is thinking about getting a new Camaro for her first car (first car that SHE will own, she's been driving for 8 years). I currently own a 2006 Mustang GT (i know, i know.....) that she has driven pretty regularly, so she is used to RWD vehicles. But I just have a couple general questions for you guys:

- How do you like the car?

- Any big issues? (for instance 05-06 Mustangs had a bad metal on metal clunking issue that owners had to fight to get Ford to recognize with a TSB to get it covered under warranty)

- My girlfriend is 4'11''. How hard will visibility and overall driving be for her? (Shes driven larger cars such as an old Camry before. When I looked at the dimensions the Camaro was about 2 inches longer than the Camry)

- Any ladies on here who could give me a testimonial on how driving it is?

- Any cool options you guys recommend getting in the car?

- Does the car come with either a telescoping steering wheel, or adjustable pedals? By that I mean are those options, not does it come standard.

- As far as overall engine power, is the Camaro V6 comparable to a Mustang V8? She doesn't need anything shes's going to kill herself in, but Ill be driving it also on occasion, and Id like to have a little bit of power behind it.

- Shes going to get the "Connectivity package" as well as an automatic transmission, so she wants the remote start. Anything I should know about these? (Not worth the price? Not work well?)

- On the Chevy website when you can "Build Your Own", it says you have to pay $150 for a compact spare wheel and tire......are your serious? A spare wheel isn't included? Or are they talking full size spare and not an emergency donut?

- What is the "Ground Effects Package"? Is it worth it?

- What are LPO Quarter Flares? Worth it?

- Engine block heater worth it?

- If anyone here ordered their car from the dealer, about how long did it take to arrive?

Obviously I can take the comments about my car, I expect those when coming into enemy territory. However I like all American cars, specifically these remakes of the older cars, and if the Camaro had been around in 2006, my decision would have been alot harder. But either way I really appreciate any help you guys can give me. I like to be a little prepared when walking into a situation, and googling Camaro reviews wont give me the real answers as you guys will. Thanks in advance, and hopefully Ill be sticking around once she takes the plunge.

Zach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-26-2010, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member

1. i LOVE the car!

2. only big issues was loose spoilers and manual output shaft failures... both problems GM fixed quick.

3. visibility is not bad... if you get leather seats the driver seat adjusts up and down, not just back to front

4. i'm not a lady, but my fiance gets mad everytime i don't let her drive, she's 5' 2" and can see over the wheel just fine but doesn't park well although she never did in any other car,

5. definitely get the RS package, it is worth it! get some stripes on it for that added look!

6. car only comes with telescoping steering wheel; it moves up down in & out. the pedals are non adjustable.

7. the v6 has 304 hp, the mustang gt has 315 hp... anything with over 300 hp has enough giddy up to satisfy anyone. i don't have the v6 but i'm sure those who do are satisfied... the SS is a whole different animal, it will get up and go like nobody's business. both come with traction control and stability control for added safety even for beginners (women, lol jk).

8. remote start works really well. i park on the 3rd floor of a parking structure at work on the end and i can start it from the ground floor outside the structure in the middle where the stairs are! approx 30 feet up and 200-300 feet away going through concrete!

9. don't know much about the spare, as the SS does not come with one

10. ground effects package is neat, but it does not come painted from the factory, you'll have to get your dealer to paint it if you want it that badly. IMO its not worth the $2000.

11. the LPO quarter flares are mud flaps on the rear of all 4 wheel wells. google it to find pics, b/c to each his own! (i think they look stupid)

12. only need an engine block heater in extreme cold weather like if you live up north or in canada, not necessary in the south, midwest, or the coast.

13. i ordered my car last May and got it at the end of July... exactly 10 weeks, but it all depends on your dealer's allocations! some people that ordered there's October 2008 didn't get it until after i got mine!

hope this helps

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!

Last edited by RedJewel2SS; 01-26-2010 at 04:32 PM.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrz11386 View Post
Hey guys, I was hoping you guys could give me some info on the new Camaro. My girlfriend whom I live with is thinking about getting a new Camaro for her first car (first car that SHE will own, she's been driving for 8 years). I currently own a 2006 Mustang GT (i know, i know.....) that she has driven pretty regularly, so she is used to RWD vehicles. But I just have a couple general questions for you guys:

- How do you like the car?
Absolutely love it, could not have spent the money on any better car, really.

- Any big issues? (for instance 05-06 Mustangs had a bad metal on metal clunking issue that owners had to fight to get Ford to recognize with a TSB to get it covered under warranty)
None that have come up as a general issue for either V6 or V8 so far. One TSB about reprogramming the AC, it was getting too cold in summer and freezing.

- My girlfriend is 4'11''. How hard will visibility and overall driving be for her? (Shes driven larger cars such as an old Camry before. When I looked at the dimensions the Camaro was about 2 inches longer than the Camry)
Visibility isn't really that bad, just takes a little getting used to, and maybe a convex mirror on the drivers side mirror. The seat should rise high enough for her.

- Any ladies on here who could give me a testimonial on how driving it is?
Not applicable to me since I'm a male

- Any cool options you guys recommend getting in the car?
The 2 series option and the RS have been very big, well worth it in my eyes.

- Does the car come with either a telescoping steering wheel, or adjustable pedals? By that I mean are those options, not does it come standard.
Telescoping steering wheel, yes, pedals, not that I'm aware of.

- As far as overall engine power, is the Camaro V6 comparable to a Mustang V8? She doesn't need anything shes's going to kill herself in, but Ill be driving it also on occasion, and Id like to have a little bit of power behind it.
I have the V8, my last car was a 200 HP Dodge Stratus R/T, the V6 will more than hold its own, and there are aftermarket power options coming out.

- Shes going to get the "Connectivity package" as well as an automatic transmission, so she wants the remote start. Anything I should know about these? (Not worth the price? Not work well?)
I have the option, but I don't use the remote start much here in Texas (doesn't get cold enough to bother).

- On the Chevy website when you can "Build Your Own", it says you have to pay $150 for a compact spare wheel and tire......are your serious? A spare wheel isn't included? Or are they talking full size spare and not an emergency donut?
As far as I know, it's the 50MPH doughnut. A spare isn't available for the SS, a compressor and green goop is provided.

I didn't think the GFX looked good enough on the car to make it worth it to me.

Quarter Flares are color matched molded mud flaps. I don't drive through much gravel or mud, so I opted not to get them. They look ok though.

- Engine block heater worth it?
You'll only need that if you live in a climate that can get to -20 to -60 degrees Fahrenheit.

- If anyone here ordered their car from the dealer, about how long did it take to arrive?
Since I ordered early (before production startred), mine took 6 months to arrive. These days you might find what you want on the lot, or order and wait 6-8 weeks.

Obviously I can take the comments about my car, I expect those when coming into enemy territory. However I like all American cars, specifically these remakes of the older cars, and if the Camaro had been around in 2006, my decision would have been alot harder. But either way I really appreciate any help you guys can give me. I like to be a little prepared when walking into a situation, and googling Camaro reviews wont give me the real answers as you guys will. Thanks in advance, and hopefully Ill be sticking around once she takes the plunge.
Since you opened up the car comment on your car ..... I like American muscle, I just like some models of American Muscle more than others. I've seen some really nice looking, and some very powerful GTs. Thanks for buying American

TX_SS

Zach

2SS/RS, CGM, A6, Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger
My latest dyno: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjrLR0N12B4

Last edited by TX_SS; 01-27-2010 at 04:33 PM.

post #4 of 14 Old 01-26-2010, 07:07 PM
sdk
Veteran Member

Garage
A lot of questions...here are a few answers...
I'm a 5'1" female and I don't have any problems seeing over the steering wheel and dash. The seat in the 2LT is adjustable to/fro, up/down and recline. The steering wheel is adjustable also.
I purchased the spare with jack. I don't trust a can of spray filler to get me home. The spray filler is useless if you have a sidewall injury, which I've had on previous vehicles.
The V6 has plenty of get up and go. Mine is coupled to the automatic tranny.
It handles great, much better than my two previous SUVs! The ride is firm but not harsh.
I ordered my car and it took exactly 11 weeks to come in. My dealer kept me posted on its progress through the system. It arrived a week earlier than expected.
I hope my comments help with your decision.

2017 Camaro SS
South Carolina
post #5 of 14 Old 01-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

WELCOME.

1. LOVE IT!

2. A few early issues that were addressed. Haven't really heard of any issues w/ the V6...since you mentioned the V6 may be your choice.

3. sorry, I'm 6-3....but the viability does take some getting used to, but you DO get used to it quickly. The seat and steering wheel are VERY adjustable

4. sorry...not a lady.

5. If you don't mind spending the $$$, the RS package is a nice addition for the Halo headlights and the 20" rims (for the V6)...just keep in mind they are 'summer tires'.

6. Yes telescoping wheel is standard.

7. 300hp v6...not too shabby. Wont have the torque that a mustang GT has (and it's heavier)...but it is a 'only' a V6.

8. I'll pass on this one.

9. no spare on mine (ss). I've got a can of goop, air compressor, tire plug kit and onstar...and hopefully I'll never need any of them.

10. Ground FX? not for me.

11. Flares not for me.

12. Engine block heater worth it? If you live way up north and will be driving in the winter.

13. Check out the dealers who are site sponsors here...they will take care of you.

I don't think anyone here will bash on your stang (hey, at least it's not a honda )...just keep in mind that after driving a Camaro, you may want to trade your stang in for an SS. Seriously though, it's a great car with a great warranty...I don't think you guys will be disappointed. And if you are, then you can come back and we'll bust your balls about your stang.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.

Last edited by POWERFREAK; 01-26-2010 at 08:28 PM.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-26-2010, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member

And I BELIEVE you might be able to talk your dealer into switching out the summer tires for all-seasons on the RS. I've seen a few people do this.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of 14 Old 01-26-2010, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the answers everyone. You guys have no idea how much all of this helps. And I love my Stang, mostly because it was the first car I bought myself, so it will always hold a special place in my heart, but trust me im sure Ill have fun driving this Camaro.

I dont really want her to get a V8 but it is her decision. I'd be a little scared of her trying to handle a V8, not that I doubt she can do it, just her commute isnt the greatest everyday and is littered with cops.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-26-2010, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
IMO the V-6 is plenty 304 HP plus great gas milage... BTW hello from Alabama and welcome to

2014 2LT/RS with spring edition package. Proud Litho Owner #28.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-27-2010, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrz11386 View Post

These type of questions you shouldn't even have to try and search out, but unfortunately the Chevrolet website is subpar. There are no descriptions or pictures of any of the dealer accessories, and even descriptions of some factory options do not exist. When compared to the Ford website, the Chevy is in the Internet dark ages.

You certainly came to the right site to get information, but I am sorry that you didn't have much luck from the "horses mouth."

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #10 of 14 Old 01-27-2010, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

To be honest, even if the Chevy website was amazing, Id still come on here and ask questions. I do the same thing with my car, I can read all the reviews I want online, but you guys would tell me if there are any real issues or something like that. And hello from B-More, MD and thanks for the welcomes. You guys are being awful nice to a Stang owner..........should i be scared?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page